Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-war Crosman rifles

That is one of the nicest, if not the nicest, stocks I've ever seen on a Crosman; it's a great find, just for the stock alone.

The stock checkering is factory standard for the earliest models only. They never checkered stocks post-war. So, the stock is late '20s early '30s.

It's also pretty clear that it's been repainted; however, without seeing it in-person, I suspect that it was a factory repaint (I've got pictures of repair guns being factory repainted in the early '50s.)

I'm reasonably sure that the gun is early, very early, that was sent back to the factory for repair; which is likely where it got the updated cocking knob.

One question I have, what is the piece of wood doing in the slide area? Is it missing the slide?

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    That is one of the nicest, if not the nicest, stocks I've ever seen on a Crosman; it's a great find, just for the stock alone.

The stock checkering is factory standard for the earliest models only. They never checkered stocks post-war. So, the stock is late '20s early '30s.

It's also pretty clear that it's been repainted; however, without seeing it in-person, I suspect that it was a factory repaint (I've got pictures of repair guns being factory repainted in the early '50s.)

I'm reasonably sure that the gun is early, very early, that was sent back to the factory for repair; which is likely where it got the updated cocking knob.

One question I have, what is the piece of wood doing in the slide area? Is it missing the slide?
    No, it's the brass slide you are seeing, the milling marks look like wood grain. The gun is mechanically flawless, after reading your thoughts I tend to agree, it did seem repainted but it was so well done a factory rework makes sense, plus its has to have been resealed and the updated knob now fits. Thanks much for your thoughts.
    Here's pic of the brass slide: (scholl to the left for more pics)
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psyqh0qkws.jpg

I wonder if the wood was factory refinished as well? It's so well done. Do you know what type of finish they used on their stocks? Looking at it and shooting it it's very hard to believe it's that old? It functions like new, very tight but I guess that's the goal at the factory. May have replaced old warn parts.
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-12-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Back to Trevor's original thoughts about these guns being a good collectible. Having taken the plunge I have to agree. Very well made with many variations and pretty inexpense. And I finally have an advantage on this side of the ocean! lol.
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    No, it's the brass slide you are seeing, the milling marks look like wood grain. The gun is mechanically flawless, after reading your thoughts I tend to agree, it did seem repainted but it was so well done a factory rework makes sense, plus its has to have been resealed and the updated knob now fits. Thanks much for your thoughts.
    Here's pic of the brass slide: (scholl to the left for more pics)
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psyqh0qkws.jpg

I wonder if the wood was factory refinished as well? It's so well done. Do you know what type of finish they used on their stocks? Looking at it and shooting it it's very hard to believe it's that old? It functions like new, very tight but I guess that's the goal at the factory. May have replaced old warn parts.
    I don't think they refinished the wood, but factory repaint was the norm for any returned gun. I have stayed away from the finish question and leave that to the finish experts.

This last picture, shows the receiver better, tells me that the cover might New Old Stock replaced at the factory- post war; it's the elevation screw that tells me that. The original screw was just a slotted stud with no head. What you have there is an updated or replacement screw of a previously never seen by me (my memory is not perfect on this, though, some guys might bring up 50 pics of the same thing, but, right now, it looks different to me)

This one is so nice that it quite possibly could have been a Crosman salesman sample. About as good as it gets, at least for the repeater model, in Crosman-land.

When shooting, I would usually only put one pellet in the mag at a time. No jams that way. They're superb shooters. They break down nicely for backpacking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Back to Trevor's original thoughts about these guns being a good collectible. Having taken the plunge I have to agree. Very well made with many variations and pretty inexpense. And I finally have an advantage on this side of the ocean! lol.
    Knowledge is the key to collecting this guys. Some key models are: early-form receiver in great condition. Condition is everything with this model. These were sold on the cusp of the depression and they were used up, so, it's condition, condition, condition.

The only really rare model is the pre-war, click-less pump-handle, .177 caliber, aka model 100. PY Hahn, after taking over the company when his dad died, started over his annual habit of introducing new models. The only model he managed to put out was the model 100, single shot .177. So, only a year of production. Extremely hard to find. For all of the late '30s guns, look for the decal on the pump handle being in place, which adds to the value for a Crosman collector.

Another one to look for is the "Premier" which is an early model variant that is also extraordinarily hard to find. It's about the only model worth fighting over.

Another one is the 1949 model, the last year of production. This model is notable for having all the same hardware (sights, etc) as the new model Town and Country. And, there's a variant of the 1949 model which has a very nice crinkle finish. Highly desirable.

I'll leave out the funky, but interesting, CG models. You have to be Crosman nuts to get into those. However, the true Crosman model 200 carbine, as introduced to the public, in 1949 is one heck of a sweet looking gun. For super nuts, there are the gallery gun variations.

Thing is, because the knowledge isn't generally out there (the Blue Book has most everything I know on the subject, except for some of the CG stuff) so sellers don't know if they have a rare variant.

Lastly, should mention that there is the WWII OSS version. A couple have shown up. Look for a round hole in the magazine instead of the trapezoid in civilian form. They were warehoused in India so may well have ended up in England. The one's I seen usually are in horrible condition, but, if you find one of these rare treasures don't screw it up by refinishing. It's worth more in trashed condition than refinished. Don't try to fake one, there are other identifying features I've never released. Find one of these and... well.. you've got the rarest of the rarest. Beeman found one and teased me with a couple of pics.... was the last time we communicated.

I don't think they refinished the wood, but factory repaint was the norm for any returned gun. I have stayed away from the finish question and leave that to the finish experts.

This last picture, shows the receiver better, tells me that the cover might New Old Stock replaced at the factory- post war; it's the elevation screw that tells me that. The original screw was just a slotted stud with no head. What you have there is an updated or replacement screw of a previously never seen by me (my memory is not perfect on this, though, some guys might bring up 50 pics of the same thing, but, right now, it looks different to me)

This one is so nice that it quite possibly could have been a Crosman salesman sample. About as good as it gets, at least for the repeater model, in Crosman-land.

When shooting, I would usually only put one pellet in the mag at a time. No jams that way. They're superb shooters. They break down nicely for backpacking, etc.
    I think you are right on. That cover plate looks absolutely new, but even inside the mechanism is fairly pristine. Wonder if it was just carried around allot and not shot much? Salesman sample might explain that, fun to speculate. I very much appreciate your time and expertise.

It's pretty common to find the repeater models missing all of the easy-to-remove parts. It's such an uncommon stock and in such nice condition, just looks like a salesman sample, would have to have it in my hands to be sure but the pictures pretty much tell the story. Not matter what, it is a top Crosman collectable for any serious Crosman collector.

You'll have to let us know how it shoots. They're typically very good.

Note: there is no trigger safety, so, to make the gun safe, pull out the bolt. Even if the gun fires, nothing will happen. Good thing to remember if you use the gun in the field. You can keep the gun pumped up to the max all day long, just keep the bolt open to keep it safe.

Also, be sure to test the trigger. Without pumping up! Cock the gun, and then hit the extended hammer with the palm of your hand. A proper, safe, sear will keep the hammer cocked. I would suspect that this one is fine but it's important to always test.

It's pretty common to find the repeater models missing all of the easy-to-remove parts. It's such an uncommon stock and in such nice condition, just looks like a salesman sample, would have to have it in my hands to be sure but the pictures pretty much tell the story. Not matter what, it is a top Crosman collectable for any serious Crosman collector.

You'll have to let us know how it shoots. They're typically very good.

Note: there is no trigger safety, so, to make the gun safe, pull out the bolt. Even if the gun fires, nothing will happen. Good thing to remember if you use the gun in the field. You can keep the gun pumped up to the max all day long, just keep the bolt open to keep it safe.

Also, be sure to test the trigger. Without pumping up! Cock the gun, and then hit the extended hammer with the palm of your hand. A proper, safe, sear will keep the hammer cocked. I would suspect that this one is fine but it's important to always test.
    Great advice on keeping it safe with the bolt pulled, never would have thought of that. I was indoors tonight sighting it in from across my kitchen to my pellet trap and I was really thinking about the lack of a safety! It shoots great, the peep sights are great for my eye that had a cataract removed, very cool. It's my first pumper, a Beeman R1 has been my main rifle. Love the carbine feel. A little warmer weather will be nice to really take it out and put it through its paces. Love shooting what feels like a piece of history, it's seems about like new but made during the Depression. My father could have hunted with it.
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-12-2016 at 02:54 AM.