Thread: Which has more future potential - Hi-power or Exocet

Which has more future potential - Hi-power or Exocet

Hi, I need to make space for another rifle, so I need to sell one of the following, an Air arms Hi-Power, or a Birmingham Webley Exocet Carbine, (both 22) and was wondering which had the most potential in the future for collectability?

I quite like the Hi-Power, and use it. The Exocet pips it for condition as its near perfect, but I never seem to use it, as its too lovely. This suggests to me to sell the Exocet, but I dont know if this will be a regret in the future as not many seem to come up for sale.

Thanks.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Future potential?,no idea,but the Birmingham carbine would be my keeper if I had to make the choice of which one to part with.
    A far more purposeful gun.

If you mean which one is likely to hold or appreciate more in value, I'd say the Hi-Power. A bit of an icon of its time, whereas for a lot of people the Xocet is just another Vulcan variant Webley.

If you mean which one is by far the nicest to use, and most useful as a tool, the Xocet.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If you mean which one is likely to hold or appreciate more in value, I'd say the Hi-Power. A bit of an icon of its time, whereas for a lot of people the Xocet is just another Vulcan variant Webley.

If you mean which one is by far the nicest to use, and most useful as a tool, the Xocet.
    100%....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

But the xocet isn't a vulcan variant at all. Different trigger. Different breech lockup and seal. The only similarity are the sights. And they're different. Sorry to be a pedant. Thew xocet I would say is more of a stingray variant

I would also go for the hi power as the keeper... I've never even held liable one and I have ever a mint xocet, but feel in the context of the OP's question, the hipower is the one the future 'us' will remember and covet!
    Donald

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    i thoutht the exocet was a victor variatn, but the point I'd make is that it's actually a really nice shooter - I was very surprised.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

yes i would wave good bye to the exocet and keep your Hi-power i still got two the Abs stocked Sussex Armoury Jackal and The woodsman not mint but keepers
    DMC.
    watch this space

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    But the xocet isn't a vulcan variant at all. Different trigger. Different breech lockup and seal. The only similarity are the sights. And they're different. Sorry to be a pedant. Thew xocet I would say is more of a stingray variant

I would also go for the hi power as the keeper... I've never even held liable one and I have ever a mint xocet, but feel in the context of the OP's question, the hipower is the one the future 'us' will remember and covet!
    Difference between the Exocet and Vulcan are few and mostly down to the stock and as you say the breech uses the later Longbow style assy, but the trigger is only different in the blade has a spring and pivot to make it feel like a two stage which it's not, in reality it has exactly the same top sear and mating face on the lower sear, internally the parts are interchangeable, the other difference is in the cylinder end cap being different.

The models basically went Vulcan Mk1,2,3,3 Carbine, Victor, Excel, breech change from the Mk1 Stingray, Exocet, then after that they started messing with different triggers on the Stingray.

But internally they are pretty much the same rifle, I have built up hybrids of bits off the internet with Mk3 Vulcan stock, a cylinder from a Victor and piston and trigger from an excel, barrel and block came from a Vulcan mk2.

Thanks.
    Yes, my thoughs are the same, the Exocet works really well, nice trigger, excellent to hold and point, but it kinda blends into my current collection of springers, and the least used by me, as I often pick up the Superstar instead.

The Hi-power is quite different, so thats the one to keep, I have realised however, that I want one of these with a wood stock, like a woodsman, bora etc!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Difference between the Exocet and Vulcan are few and mostly down to the stock and as you say the breech uses the later Longbow style assy, but the trigger is only different in the blade has a spring and pivot to make it feel like a two stage which it's not, in reality it has exactly the same top sear and mating face on the lower sear, internally the parts are interchangeable, the other difference is in the cylinder end cap being different.

The models basically went Vulcan Mk1,2,3,3 Carbine, Victor, Excel, breech change from the Mk1 Stingray, Exocet, then after that they started messing with different triggers on the Stingray.

But internally they are pretty much the same rifle, I have built up hybrids of bits off the internet with Mk3 Vulcan stock, a cylinder from a Victor and piston and trigger from an excel, barrel and block came from a Vulcan mk2.
    I wonder why webley stopped using the seperate breech / barrel seal? I heard it described somewhere as being the 'perfect breech arrangement', to paraphrase.
    I mean, surely it had a considerable impact on manufacturing cost and setup times to change to a sealed barrel breech, unless the barrels were farmed out - I dont know?
    Id love to see this arrangement resurrected in a new model by some manufacturer..is it a patented design?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post

Yes, that is exactly right.

Could I just be a total pendant in saying that the Xocet is an Xocet, not an Exocet?

Thank you.

LoL, yes, got the rifle out today, yes, its an Xocet, stamped on the rifle.

Cheers.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Both will end up in the £200-£300 value bracket. Just enough were made of both. They might keep pace with inflation. Condition is everything.
    The return is in ownership, so keep the one you enjoy more; keep both unless you need the money even more.

Yay, my wife just told me to stop agonising over selling nice rifles, collecting them is not a problem, even if im not using them :-)
    Thanks - Geoff.