Thread: HAMMERELLI 401 or any model for that matter

HAMMERELLI 401 or any model for that matter

HAMMERELLI MODEL 401

I was given this gun as a gift from my father when I was about 15 or there about. Now I’m nearly 40! I have been looking on the web for this Brand with out much luck I was told if anyone can help it would be you lot so hear goes.

I have a .22 side leaver Hammerelli model 401 still in good working order but am looking to overhaul this to get it back to it best performance do you know of this model? I can’t find any information on the web anwear. All I can see is some bits for the 400 and 420 very limited? Would you suggest I strip down the gun and measure the bits and see if there similar size components from other model guns which I could use to replace bit required? Can anyone help?

Richard

Great looking gun just can’t find any info!

Hammerli (sic)

All the 4XX Hammerli rifles are identical mechanically, so internal parts for any of 'em will suit yours. Keep in mind that these were pretty tame guns to begin with, so yours might still be fine if it wasn't abused in your earlier days...

hammerelli guns

Do you know of any website with info on the models? Do or did you have one at some time or rather how do you know this inf? If you dont mind.

Richard
    Must be not made anymore if Web has nothing on them?

it's still Hammerli (with only one 'e')

Although I've owned a couple of these side-levers, my general info comes from...books! These guns were made approx in the 80's, imported here by Great Lakes Airguns in several versions as shown in their late-80's catalogs; also described in the 1981 edn of John Walter's "The Airgun Book". I think they were never very popular, with more emphasis on precision than power in the early era of 'magnumitis' - thus no surprise they don't show up on the Web. Isn't it amazing what a little reference library can provide.

Hammerli

This is an early pre anti-bear trap model. I remember the 401 being used in the early Airgun World pellet test along with the Mercury, BSF55, FWB Sport etc. and it produced some excellent accuracy results (if these test can be believed ).

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Didn't they make a break barrel with a cut-back angled fore-end like an early HW80?
    I remember the AGW tests at the time. They were rated quite highly.
    Rod Linton was a bit of a tripper though!
    John
    Rule are for the guidance of wise men and the unswerving obedience of fools!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLarge
    Didn't they make a break barrel with a cut-back angled fore-end like an early HW80?
    I remember the AGW tests at the time. They were rated quite highly.
    Now youv'e got me thinking. Your not getting mixed up with the Original 45 are you?

Nope. I had one of those. It could be a side lever I remember, but I certainly remember the cut back fore-end. Didn't look like the stock in the pic.
    John
    Rule are for the guidance of wise men and the unswerving obedience of fools!

Ah - side lever. It could be one of the Hammerli 400 series. Very square stocks with even squarer trigger gaurds.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 23-08-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Model 401

Thanks for the replies about this gun the Pic you have is not my gun looks a bit older style but side lever is almost same can’t believe no one has pic or more information on these models? Net has nothing? First time if tried to find some info and had no luck on the web! Hammerelli Model 401 side lever .22

Swindle

Theres a small mention of the Hammerli 401 in J. Walters (Vol one, p. 74). and Beeman Blue Book (4th edition p. 254). Airgun World did a full two page test (p.62/63 including strip down) of the 401 in its 'Airguns On Test' in 1980 (?).
    If you p.m. me your postal address I will photo copy the AGW test for you.

Looks like you had more success regarding the Hammerli than I did with my quest for any info on a BSF 65. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?t=75328

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 23-08-2005 at 11:59 PM.

Swindle, now I'm puzzled...

You have a model 401, so you know what it looks like - why the worry about finding a picture? You've been given several references to look for further info - not sure why you aren't satisfied?

Thanks to All

I'm more than satisfied! I hope all who have been contributing to this conversation understand that! If I asking to much I apologies! Just thought there might be some more info out there and it would be greatly received.

Thanks to all

Swindle

In the early 1970's I had a Hammerli 401 .177 calibre, cracking little gun, accurate but probably about 10 ft pounds energy if I recall. Mine had a barrel weight fitted beneath the barrel and an aperture foresight. Used it for hunting and target shooting to good effect. As far as I know Sussex Armoury used the same action on one of their early airguns but in a different stock. Sold it to get a Feinwerkbau 300s in 1972.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkngood
    In the early 1970's I had a Hammerli 401 .177 calibre, cracking little gun, accurate but probably about 10 ft pounds energy if I recall. Mine had a barrel weight fitted beneath the barrel and an aperture foresight. Used it for hunting and target shooting to good effect. As far as I know Sussex Armoury used the same action on one of their early airguns but in a different stock. Sold it to get a Feinwerkbau 300s in 1972.
    I think Hammerli call that the model 403.
    Ive just found a test on the 401 by Geoff Boxall in the August 1978 A.G.W.
    Last edited by I. J.; 24-08-2005 at 11:59 AM.