Thread: Spring shortening

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    shrendi Guest
    There is an easy way to re temper after shortening the spring. Cover in oil and heat in the oven until the oil begins to flash off. Or you could sapce the spring up and then set it in the gun for 48hrs, remove spacers and you have a shorter spring.

shrendi Guest
    Send it to me and i will finish it well.

HarryPotter any comments ...

HarryPotter,

Please could you have a look at my post 3 above? I'm keen to see what you think...

Thanks in advance.

BMP01

The honest answer is I just don't know, I didn't look that closely. All I look for in a spring is a good lock time and legal power. It was a long bugger though.

I got one of them....

But yes the rifle has been tweaked with a Venom Power Pulse Seal, Venom Breach Seal, Venom Piston Liner (to take the play out of the top hat), the cocking slot has been polished and smoothed carefully as has the cocking shoe, all other relevant parts were polished as well (inc slight rounding off of the transfer port edges and a polish in there as well - for no other reason that why not).

Oh, and it's been glided

Maybe that accounts for the little extra 'oomph'?

Interested in your collective thoughts.
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

shrendi Guest
    If you follow instrucion outined above ie reset spring with spacers and leave cocked for 48hrs then remove the spring will be shorter and under less pretension.

I might give that a go Mr Shrendi, cheers.
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

Acerbus Guest
    Hmm,

I first would try to temper the spring at 210°/220° Celsius in the oven (do not forget to de-grease it 100 % and make sure that your oven has the right temperature, do not trust the numbers on the knob ) for a hour, its colour should be gold-brown. Let it cool down slowly.

Than mount it to the gun and do about 200 shoots before you test again.

If it's still to strong I would start to cut of a one coil heat the chopped end max to a cherry-red and go on as Gwylan described it.

You will have to temper again, you risk that it will break if do not temper .

All in all its a difficult work I've spoiled 2 springs before I learned to do it.

Jochen