Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring shortening

Quote Originally Posted by Acerbus
    Hmm,

You will have to temper again, you risk that it will break if do not temper .
    It won't break unless it's quenched. If it's allowed to cool slowly in air from cherry red it'll be softened rather than 'dead hard' which is the condition from which you're more likely to see a breakage.

Allowing it to cool from cherry red slowly will anneal it - although this procedure is more normally done by burying the piece in sand or hot ash, to slow the cooling process even further.

Jonathan.

Acerbus Guest
    @Jonathan

your right if it is possible to let it cool down slowly.

When that thin wire get squeezed on a metal-plate it cools down immediately and becomes pretty hard.

One of the springs I've spoiled broke just under the waist coil damp. Not at once but after a while just during a competition

Jochen
    Last edited by Acerbus; 24-08-2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: fault found, hopping there are not more

Tried the cocking it for 2 days trick - power went up

Mr Pok, it was the longer of the 2 springs, the shorter one gave 6fpe, the longer is running around 10.7fpe at the mo, odd thing is they were a slighty tighter (better) fit for the maccari guides.

Sorted
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable