Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UTube Review of the Hy-Score Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    There is a cased example currently for sale in the UK on the J.C. Militaria website
    http://www.jcmilitaria.com/air_weapons_pistols.asp

It is on page 1 of their air pistols list, and is incorrectly labelled as a "Cased, Post 1969 Hy-Score Arms Corporation U.S.A, Model 802".

They do ship worldwide, but there are two snags. First, the price is extortionate, probably £200 more than its worth, and secondly, it comes with a silencer so you would have to ask for it to be left behind, and I doubt they would give a discount for doing so!

In my opinion though, this British version of the Hyscore is no better in quality than the original US version.
    Thanks for this. To me the silencer is what makes this gun interesting to me. Appreciate your comment about the quality being the same. My goal is probably trying to get the multibarrel short barrel Hy-Score over here. Going to my first Airgun shows over here next year. Vintage Airgun collecting seems less of a hobby over here which helps on prices. I got that just about mint in the box Hy-Score for $135 this year.
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-11-2016 at 12:39 PM.

One modification I used to improve the power output on a Hyscore was to cut a 3mm thick polyurethane disc that had the O.D. to fit in the piston and a hole in the centre that was a good fit around the barrel. This was pushed up inside the piston and had a steel washer backing it up that the piston spring held in place. This gave a better seal around the barrel to stop air leaking back into the piston on firing, which I think is the main weak point in the pistol design.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    One modification I used to improve the power output on a Hyscore was to cut a 3mm thick polyurethane disc that had the O.D. to fit in the piston and a hole in the centre that was a good fit around the barrel. This was pushed up inside the piston and had a steel washer backing it up that the piston spring held in place. This gave a better seal around the barrel to stop air leaking back into the piston on firing, which I think is the main weak point in the pistol design.

Baz
    In his paper I think Lawrence intended to have a seal for the barrel but ended up using a tight tolerance and relying on the oil used as lubricant. What FPS can you achieve?

I know in the U.S.A. people use "white grease" to seal the barrel but obviously this is only a temporary measure as the grease will dissipate around the inside of the pistol. The Hyscore I was working on was absolutey hopeless even after fitting a new spring and O rings. I did the mod and at last it penetrated far more pages of a telephone book than it did previously. I did not chrono it at the time, but the next one I get in I will do the same mod and actually measure the difference.

Baz

I was lucky enough to get a pistol that was pretty close to new, so I think wear was minimal. I just oiled it per the directions in the box with non detergent oil. I want to acquire one that I feel comfortable taking apart. Is it difficult to get apart?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was lucky enough to get a pistol that was pretty close to new, so I think wear was minimal. I just oiled it per the directions in the box with non detergent oil. I want to acquire one that I feel comfortable taking apart. Is it difficult to get apart?
    It is an easy pistol to strip once you have removed the circlip hidden under the back cap. Once this is off you can unscrew the cap. Also take out the barrel hinge screw. Try to leave the grip in place as many people crack these when stripping.

Baz

Thanks much! You have a rarer chomed pistol. Very nice.

A UK Hy-score for sale at this site.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Thanks much! You have a rarer chomed pistol. Very nice.

http://mypage.freeads.co.uk/mumbles-2#.WD89xrTfWhA

What happened Trev, forget your BBS login details?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I contacted the seller of the Phoenix Arms British made ' Hy Score' and he send me a long email about his frustration sending any airgun out of England. X-ray machines see a gun, and after that it goes downhill.