Quote Originally Posted by The Lord Flashheart View Post
Do the insides of the cases need to be clean?
Not really, I know some one who never cleaned the cases of his .357 or his .44 mag in the 15 years I know he was shooting those guns, he was well known for using pretty high loads (the safe side of high) and cannot have had more than 50 split cases (for .357 & .44 due to reloading fatigue of expanding and crimping) some of the cases had been reloaded over 30 times, all he did was clean the primer pocket and every so often check case length and debur.
Shiny brass is purely a cosmetic thing (out side at least) as long as they are clean (no grit or any thing) they will cycle from the mag into the chamber smooth as shiny brass.
Reloading powders are formulated to burn as clean as posable so carbon should be minimal, as long as the primer flash hole is clear and there's no obvious heavy carbon deposits then all should be well, every so often just turn the case upside down and give it a few taps on a bit of wood to knock loose carbon deposits out.

On a slightly difrent note, I have a tumbler and been very hard up for cash, I wash the walnut media, get a very fine mesh strainer (I was govern a big mixing bowl size one) clean the media in small batches, fill a bucket with water and 1/2 fill the strainer with media and place in the bucket overnight, at this point do not agitate, the media swells as it absorbs water, very fine bits and carbon will fall through, next morning agitate the soaked media while suspended in water, keep checking the water and change when black, as said very fine media will have fallen through, don't worry about it, after a few water changes it should be nearly clear, leave the media to drain in the strainer, when no more water drips out transfer to a old rosting tin and leave in a very warm place to dry out, this way the media lasts a lot longer and you only have to top up with new media.
Yes I'm sad and have a lot of time to kill