Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first air rifle

My first air rifle

Hello

I'm currently considering buying my first air rifle I've got a couple of old Webley air-pistols but have now decided I fancy a rifle, probably when the weather warms up a bit.

Not really got much of a clue about such things & no real preference apart from-

It must be at least 20 years old.

I don't want to spend a fortune so £250.00 would be my max'.

I don't plan to buy another rifle (famous last words ) so I just want one good usable reliable gun.

I tend to like British stuff.

I won't be hunting with it, just shooting targets etc in my mother in laws very long garden. If the mother in law is there whilst I'm holding a firearm however it may prove tempting..

Can any of you suggest a good model/ make to look out for?

Cheers

Dave

AA Shamal

which rifle

hi, hw 97 hw 77 air arms tx 200. in that order. at your very reasonable budget it will have to be second hand. good luck with your search. pete

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Hello

I'm currently considering buying my first air rifle I've got a couple of old Webley air-pistols but have now decided I fancy a rifle, probably when the weather warms up a bit.

I won't be hunting with it, just shooting targets etc in my mother in laws very long garden. If the mother in law is there whilst I'm holding a firearm however it may prove tempting..

Can any of you suggest a good model/ make to look out for?

Cheers Dave
    Hi Dave.
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the flaw re the mother in law.
    They are good for some things; in your case it is the garden range. I would seriously refrain from that particular impulse
    Secondly, 250 quid should buy something nice, unless you were wanting something in a box that deserved handling with kids gloves.

Webley Omega.

If you can bear something only 15 or so years old, Webley Longbow (just in reach but you will need a scope).

BSA Superstar.

BSA Airsporter Mk 1 or 2.

Webley Mk3.

Really depends on what you like. 1940s classic, or 80s classic (avoid the 70s)? How much do you value performance as opposed to nostalgic charm? Do you insist on a scope, or prefer iron sights?

In your place, I would probably plump for an early Airsporter. But I am not you. For one thing you only want one rifle, and I seem to have quite a bit more than one.

Cheers all. That's really excellent, i'll start looking up some of your suggestions

Geezer, can I just ask, why avoid the 70s?

Ta

Dave:

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Airsporter
    Tracker
    Mercury
    Anything that takes your fancy really.
    Avoid Relums and Chinese!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Because the airgun scene was completely off the boil and relying on what had been done in the past. Often just cutting corners to keep the price down. Just think of Leyland cars made in the 70's.

How retro do you want to go? You need to give us more to work with, big subject lots of rifles..

I'm selling a HW36E circa 1988 which just about sums up 50's, 60's, 70, 80's spring rifles. German made and a significant historic air rifle. They still make them today!
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMG_5314.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    [...]

Webley Mk3.

[...]
    This! ^^^^^^^^^

Or a Webley Service if you can afford it.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Weihrauch HW 77 .177 cal. ! Perfect !

Try it with the "Iron Sights" first before you scope it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hw35,77,97,80
    AAtx2000
    Original 45,50,52
    BSA (Lincoln Jeffries style),longbow,super sport,superstar
    Falcon/titan PCP
    AA shamal PCP

Be warned it's addictive

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if you like older stuff, there's no point buying something still in production, like a 77 (good as they are)

Springers are cool, so my £250 long range plinking springer (that means fairly accurate) selections would be:

FWB 300S
    FWB Sport (124 / 127)
    AA Sidelevers e.g. Camargue, EX88 in .22
    Original 50
    Airsporter RB2 (accurate) or tap loader (not so accurate) - but 5.6mm barrels on older ones can be limiting regards pellet choice
    Superstar
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Webley Omega.

If you can bear something only 15 or so years old, Webley Longbow (just in reach but you will need a scope).

BSA Superstar.

BSA Airsporter Mk 1 or 2.

Webley Mk3.

Really depends on what you like. 1940s classic, or 80s classic (avoid the 70s)? How much do you value performance as opposed to nostalgic charm? Do you insist on a scope, or prefer iron sights?
    As above, plus, as JB mentions, the Air Arms sidelevers, my fave being the lovely Khamsin.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Because the airgun scene was completely off the boil and relying on what had been done in the past. Often just cutting corners to keep the price down. Just think of Leyland cars made in the 70's.

How retro do you want to go? You need to give us more to work with, big subject lots of rifles..

I'm selling a HW36E circa 1988 which just about sums up 50's, 60's, 70, 80's spring rifles. German made and a significant historic air rifle. They still make them today!
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMG_5314.jpg
    If you mean a HW35E, then I fully agree. Superb rifles. I had one in .22 as my first serious rifle, back in the late 70s IIRC, left handed stock, topped off with an Optima Moonlighter. My go-to longer range ratting gun (as opposed to my .410s). A tad heavy, but did sterling work on the farm

I was in a similar position re Webley pistols, budget & long garden a while back. I too was only going to buy the one...
    Are you going to be using a scope? Some of the older stuff won't have have fittings for one.
    From my own experience I can recommend Webley Mk 3, AirSporter, HW35,(all so good I've got 2 of each!) HW77. Buying s/hand can be a bit of a minefield, but I've had good deals from people on this site. All have come in well under your budget, & apart from the Mk 3's & an early 'Sporter, with scopes.
    I agree British stuff of the '70's is generally best avoided - having said that, I've a loverly '70 BSA & '71 Mk 3.
    When I moved to my current abode, I had a 50 yard range in the back garden. Now, thanks to garden mods, greenhouse etc, it's down to 15....
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.