Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first air rifle

The problem with asking for recommendations , you can end up with a list of every rifle ever made as everyone has favourites. Probably best to visit a couple of gun shops and check out what they have second hand and just chose something you like and is comfortable for you.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 03-12-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Diana 34? Cometa 400?

The problem with asking for recommendations , you can end up with a list of every rifle ever made as everyone has favourites.
    So true, contrary to some there is no such thing as universal best, second best etc - it's all a matter of personal prefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The problem with asking for recommendations , you can end up with a list of every rifle ever made as everyone has favourites. Probably best to visit a couple of gun shops and check out what they have second hand and just chose something you like and is comfortable for you.

Baz
    A good point re asking for recommendations, on the other hand certain guns have mentioned more than others. For good reason - many people have/do own them.
    As for visiting gun shops, there are good & bad, so what's someone to do? Ask for dealer recommendations, I guess...And even if you find a good one, you'll probably pay 33+% more than you would for a private buy.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As above, plus, as JB mentions, the Air Arms sidelevers, my fave being the lovely Khamsin.
    Agree tony. I love my khamsin. Have fitted a 10"barrel on mine which makes it look a bit better in my opinion. Thumbhole walnut stocked also

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Agree tony. I love my khamsin. Have fitted a 10"barrel on mine which makes it look a bit better in my opinion. Thumbhole walnut stocked also
    And there you have it, personal taste and preference.
    Thumbhole stocks don't do it for me in any way; I prefer classic pistol grip wood stock but erring toward the early Weihrauch style. A good grain will cap it for me.
    Once again and as always, it is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Hello all

Thanks very much for all the suggestions & input

I know that it's very subjective when choosing anything but I'm really new to all this so the suggestions & opinions help even if it's just alerting me to the models out there. From that I can then (hopefully) narrow it down to those I at least like the looks of, so I have a short-list of preferences. Gun shops are cool but they are businesses, so I don't want to amble in totally clueless & waste their time or indeed get something that isn't actually that great. Your input prior to that does assist me in knowing what to look out for.

I find the info' about 1970's rifles particularly interesting. I'd never considered that all the things that applied to cars & other things we did in the '70's would also include airguns but it's perfectly logical, we in Britain rather lost our way with everything else so why not airguns

Thanks again for all this, it really is appreciated. Please prepare for yet more questions as the search hots up

Cheers
    Dave

Hello

As you were all so good as to assist me I thought I'd give you an update

I ended up getting an air rifle I'd never even thought of, a BSA Cadet-Major with a CA prefix serial number. I bought it from slug-gun on here (who was a complete gentleman to deal with).

It's a lovely old thing, it feels great, it's not too heavy, seems beautifully put together & I just think it looks so streamlined & cool. Plus as it didn't cost the earth I can spend money on some other toys too.

I've only fired it in the garage so far but I'm very impressed. It's not going to stop a charging rhino but it's plenty powerful enough for me

As you can probably tell, I rather like it

Cheers

Dave

Cadet Major

Nice choice. Never owned one, but they are very pleasing things.

If you like the Cadet Major, you will probably like a German Diana 25D, or 27. Or a Slavia 631.

I'd also recommend heading down to your local target range and trying out other people's rifles in exchange for them trying your air pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Hello

As you were all so good as to assist me I thought I'd give you an update

I ended up getting an air rifle I'd never even thought of, a BSA Cadet-Major with a CA prefix serial number. I bought it from slug-gun on here (who was a complete gentleman to deal with).

It's a lovely old thing, it feels great, it's not too heavy, seems beautifully put together & I just think it looks so streamlined & cool. Plus as it didn't cost the earth I can spend money on some other toys too.

I've only fired it in the garage so far but I'm very impressed. It's not going to stop a charging rhino but it's plenty powerful enough for me

As you can probably tell, I rather like it

Cheers

Dave
    Things in general did improve in the late seventies.
    As your interested in British air rifles my suggestions would be-
    Webley - Vulcan, Stingray and Eclipse
    Thoeben Fenman
    Sterling HR81/83