Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are cheap pellets worth it ?

Whoa there fella getting worked up because someone points out a flaw in your statement is not going to help!

What we are trying to tell you is no matter how much you pay for them until you do the grouping test you have no idea if they are of any use at all.

You can take from that what you like but I do a lot of testing of pellets and have found none of the cheap pellets to match the more expensive brands in any of my rifles for consistency!

In my 'assortment' of rifles & pistols, I've guns that are accurate with certain pellets, in that mix, is a pistol that groups equally well with Daystate Li as it does with Spitfire domed (I don't fork out for Daystate Li for it!), another which does prefer the R10s (not much in it, but a difference of 9's rather than 10's), another pistol that prefers Geckos, in the rifles, some shotgun JSBs but are accurate with RWS Super H Point/SMK Black/H&N, others that shotgun those, but are accurate with Crossman Premier boxed and, of course, some that are accurate with JSBs, I'll test any new acquisition with the pellets I have, and if I see another brand of pellet, be it expensive or 'budget', I'll often buy a tin & try them - no telling what the results are until the target is examined.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Well worth it if they shoot well in a particular Airgun!
    Unfortunately, not many do in my experience !
    “An airgun or two”………

I still think RWS Superdomes and Superfields are really good value especially bulk bought.

What a pellet costs does not necessarily equate to how it shoots, but from personal experience most cheap pellets tend to be old style short, dumpy, shallow radius heads often with "lines/groves" moulded in to the sides, and again from personal experience that design does not work well in PCP's which prefer a slightly longer/taller, smooth sided pellet with a tighter radius head.

But as I said earlier the short, dumpy Marksman .25 did work well in a springer.

Any & every pellet is worth trying, but if they don't group then they're not worth the steam off your piss