Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feinwerbau 124 Sport .177

Feinwerbau 124 Sport .177

Hi Gents, another of the collection i picked up last week. I admit that I knew nothing at all of them, yes i'd heard of the brand. But i knew nothing of the model. I've learnt quite a bit reading about them here, before i've posted this thread. It has what appears to be a plastic trigger, therefore im assuming it is a MK1 and a deluxe model perhaps.

I decided to buy it as i would descibe it as a really good looking rifle, great brand and perfect condition, oh and wonderful balance and lightness for hunting.

Now the pictures....

Now the problem. After taking the pics i decided to try it out. Cocked the rifle, put the slug in and pulled the trigger, a 'normal' crack was heard but i couldnt see any pellet impact. I opened the barrel and the pellet was still there. I shot the rifle again and the pellet didnt move. On closer inspection there is lots of creamy coloured plastic particles appearing under the stock. Therefore i assume the piston seal has crumbled with age. Would i be correct?

I should now obviously get this rifle serviced, its had virtually no use looking at it. Is it a big job?

Anyway, i take it that its just one of those things buying an old rifle. I just cant wait now to get it sorted and try it out.

Any comments or, advice would be very much appreciated, cheers

Hi,
    you can order a piston seal from Knibb's website. There is a lot of preloaded from the spring which means you will need a decent spring compressor to tackle the job. It may be worth taking it to a local RFD and get them to do the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Hi Gents, another of the collection i picked up last week. I admit that I knew nothing at all of them, yes i'd heard of the brand. But i knew nothing of the model. I've learnt quite a bit reading about them here, before i've posted this thread. It has what appears to be a plastic trigger, therefore im assuming it is a MK1 and a deluxe model perhaps.

I decided to buy it as i would descibe it as a really good looking rifle, great brand and perfect condition, oh and wonderful balance and lightness for hunting.

Now the pictures....

Now the problem. After taking the pics i decided to try it out. Cocked the rifle, put the slug in and pulled the trigger, a 'normal' crack was heard but i couldnt see any pellet impact. I opened the barrel and the pellet was still there. I shot the rifle again and the pellet didnt move. On closer inspection there is lots of creamy coloured plastic particles appearing under the stock. Therefore i assume the piston seal has crumbled with age. Would i be correct?

I should now obviously get this rifle serviced, its had virtually no use looking at it. Is it a big job?

Anyway, i take it that its just one of those things buying an old rifle. I just cant wait now to get it sorted and try it out.

Any comments or, advice would be very much appreciated, cheers
    It's right that there is a lot of preload and that you need a spring compressor. But it's actually a fairly simple rifle to service. There's a knack to removing the trigger block without the safety spring flying out which involves using cable ties (I used bits of wire) and if you search around, there are a few guides on how to do this - I.J. has done one for instance. Once you've changed the piston seal, the rifle will be good for many years.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

People recommend a BSA superstar piston seal sized down slightly as a better material than original.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Strip down guide over in 'Idiots Guides'. I had exactly the same issue ... crumbled piston washer. Breech seal is 3mm c/s 16mm od, 10mm id and maybe worth replacing. Quite straightforward but the comment about tying the safety slide and trigger unit as it comes out is correct ... cable tie or twisty tie to hold the safety slide on the trigger housing as it releases from the action. But no need to panic if it does come apart ...
    Cheers, Phil

FWB Sport strip down links

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    - I.J. has done one for instance. Once you've changed the piston seal, the rifle will be good for many years.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    People recommend a BSA superstar piston seal sized down slightly as a better material than original.
    Agreed.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

It looks in good nick,even the screws look untouched.Its a MK1 about 1979-80 i would think with that front sight & butt pad.

To make it easier to find in future, I've copied Ian's pics and some others of a FWB Sport trigger stripdown, and Phil's words here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Cool

Gents your responses are amazing and Garvin the detail that you have provided for the repair blows me away, many thanks. I couldn't imagine getting a 37 year old rifle in any better condition......and yes I know it doesn't work yet. before you all start laughing at me . Landymick you mentioned the butt pad, it still has a little bit of overspill rubber from the mould dangling at the bottom. Anyone using this would have trimmed it off i'm certain. Hopefully, I'll get this sorted over Christmas and do an update. Would this gun be interesting to collectors or, are there plenty in this condition?

Cheers

A few pointers:

If its a MKI then the trigger is probably plastic. I suggest getting an after market one in metal, or ask around for a spare. These plastic triggers are getting rare on their own as they break. Plastics often don't age well. If you intend to do a lot of shooting then change, but keep, before it does break. It can always be put back on. It probably lasted so well because it didn't work.
    Be ultra careful when stripping that you don't scratch a really lovely rifle. Take your time and use tape; whatever it takes. You can do the servicing better than some gunsmiths, as some just don't get "mint". Or take it to someone that just tunes air rifle and takes them seriously. Nothing difficult to it but care. I had to build a sash clamp and worth doing so. Be careful not to damage that safety catch, and watch out for little springs. Some spares are not cheap.

MKI's spring tubes might be tighter than later so might require the some piston head fettling; might take several attempts so buy two.
    Its luck what power they end up at. They may well shoot better not maxed out. The smoother the better. One of mine I finished at about 9ft/lbs and wouldn't do better. Another is near on 11 ft/lbs. Don't worry, just get it all smooth.

A lot of FWB Sports were sold. Many survive and there are plenty of used ones. They remain popular so keep their value. Mint ones are about but harder to find; the early ones even more so. If you have deep pockets buy another well used one to play with. FWB Sport enthusiasts all have several.

The Kassnar scopes arrived I believe in 1984. Think those are Heiver steel mounts, can we have a close op of them? I shoot my 124 with a 4x40 scope and it works well as Sports are best shot standing unsupported... its a sporting rifle!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    some tubes are slightly larger than others, so the supersport seal is also useful in larger tubes (but will still need some sizing)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Macarri aka air rifle headquarters has loads of spares etc for sports

Another beauty, Duggan.

Has anyone tried a V-Mach seal (ot kit) in one of these?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

HI gents, Landymick ive tried to do some close ups of the front sight and butt pad, so that you can perhaps confirm what you are thinking.

Muskett i've also tried to do close ups of the trigger and scope mounts. The trigger is plastic, i cant see any writing on the mounts to confirm a make. I gave the rifle a quick oil on the previous photos, so the action looked 'marked' to me it was just a little dust in the oil, everything looks immaculate as the day it was made. Another bonus for me is that the scope comes with what i would think are the original scope caps and all the rifles with period gun slips.

More close up photos....

Many thanks for commenting and all the advice, its much appreciated.

Cheers.