Thread: .22 pellet size

.22 pellet size

is 5.5mm the smallest size in .22?

just got a tin of these in .22 http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/co...y_Hustler.html

the first 1 i went to shoot has jamed in the barrel . left with a tin of pellets i cant use and a blocked rifle

Ok a few quick questions.

What gun are you using?
    What EXACT size pellets are you using?

There are more than 5.5 there are 5.52 5.53 etc etc but most tins merely put 5.5 on the tin when in fact it could be a lot bigger cal

Which end of the gun are you trying to clear the blockage from.

Remember there is choke on some rifles at the front of the barrel so the further toward the front of the rifle the tighter it will get.

Try a ram rod from the forend and push the pellet back toward the breach with a little pressure it SHOULD clear.

With the S-16 there was a tendancy for people to cycle shots (without closing the breech propperly) thus the air was not enough to get the pellet out and when cycle a second and third shot they simply jammed the barrel.

I find a flat ended rod with either slight pressure of a tap from a rubber mallet will clear most blockages but ALWAYS from the muzzle end pushing the pellet back out of the breach

Zeb

It sounds like you have a tight barrel and need the smallest cal there is going.

dont have a clue as to the exact size of pellet dosent say on the tin from looking around they seem to be the 5.5 .

the gun same again havent got a clue seen it cheap an bought it to give .22 a try from looking on chambers it may be an asi sniper?

mangaed to get the pellet out was stuck in the breach pushed it into the barrel (dident have eneything long enoth to go the other way) once the skurt was in by a couple of mill it will fire it out.

tryed to clean the barrel and gave it another go but got stuck again

Sounds like you have a leak from your seal OR your piston seal may be skrewed up.

Any chance of a PIC of the gun?

If it's cheap it MAY be a one of those westlake things like a B2 and they are WELL known for being cr4p.
    You say if you push it IN to the barrel by a few mill it WILL fire?

Also sounds like you could have a poorly finished breech

If the gun was new i sugest you take it back for either replacement or a refund. Even second hand by LAW it must be able to carry out the job it is made for IE fire a pellet.

Zeb

ye it fires fine once the pellet has been pushed in a bit tryed 3 times between cleaning the barrel.

the gun wasent new or from a shop only bought it to try out a .22 started with .177 and wanted to see if i was missing eneything and to strip and restore

not much to look at but
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/harris24982/4.jpg
    hopefully that works

I had some of thoes pellets the best thing you can do is put them in the bin they are Sh t
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

GMF Guest
    I remember them HUSTLER'S they where tight in my old BSA METEOR if i remember rightly i allso chuked them in the bin tight as hell to push in to the breach proberly work well in a .25 cal gun

Glynn

Don't think it's an ASI it looks more like a haenel 302 or similar. No doubt someone here will know EXACTLY what it is but it looks VERY old and in need of a DAMN good amount of TLC.

I think looking at the Rifle the first glace tells me it MAY be suffering from an internal problem.

Also as others have said dump the pellets and try something different.

Try eley wasps in 5.52 they are a very good pellet that can be used in nearly ALL rifles with good results.

Once you get the pellets to fire i suggest you try a Chrono as i think you will find a shockingly low FPE reading.

If you can push a pellet in with not much effort and it CANT fire the pellet out then you have a power problem or a problem with the barrel.

Have you checked to see if the rifling is rusted? or there is a build up of lead in the bore? It's ALL worth checking over.

If this IS a Haenel then it's well worth the time and effort to restore

Zeb

ive had a lot recomend chucking the pellets in the bin tryed ages to find a local pellet supply and now i have there rubbish .

i was hopeing to strip the gun and check the internals for power loss but the pc decided to stop working and take up all my time with a strip down and reformat.

it says something like elgamo on the action hard to see for the rust and was told maybe an asi sniper

Well it's possible as El Gamo and ASI are both the same company as far as i am aware.

You may find something in the strip down that can be sorted. It sounds like your piston seal has gone if you have so little pressure it can't effectivly spit out the pellets.

Have you looked at the rifling in the bore to see if they are rusty?

Really IF the rifling is badly corroded it ain't worth restoring the thing as your shots will be all skewif.

If the Rifling AND the piston chamber are clean then it can be saved though the price of a decent rifle nowedays may tempt you to simply pass this one on and get a new one.

Just remember if your fitting a new piston seal and spring etc to chrono the gun when complete to make sure your within the Legal FPE limit OK?

Keep us posted on you progress

Zeb

the rifling in the bore dosent look that bad at both ends the dog decided to eat my small laser light so cant check all the way down.

the piston seal isent upto much slid out like it wasent there the screw holding it in place had no threads on the spring is a very nice v shape and had a 10p behind it.

not haveing much luck with these garden plinkers b2 with the spring in 5 bits now this
    think only thing there worth is cleaning up jam a couple of pellets in the barrel and bolt them to the wall as orniments.

ille stick with the new xocet .177 and count the days till the s400 arrives

Oh your getting s S400? Didn't mention that

You can always use the rifle butt to club the bunnies to death while you wait for the S400 to arrive

The 10p i aint sure about?? The guy selling it to you prob felt guilty and left you a little something in return

See about a new seal and spring and put a few pull throughs through the barrel with solvent on to try and clean up the mess a little then fire a handful of pellets behind to leave a nice layer of lead on the rifling to protect it from the elements

If the rifling aint too bad it may be worth having it reblued (diy of course) and getting the Seal and spring replaced.

As for the B2 i could recomend keeping it as a fire poker

Zeb

[QUOTE=zebedee71]Oh your getting s S400? Didn't mention that /QUOTE]

ye was just wanting this for the back garden.
    got a 4 month old xocet but the sound of the pellet hiting the backstop is a littel loud in the garden thought the old .22 might not annoy the neighbours as much.

)As for the B2 i could recomend keeping it as a fire poker) . i tryed that but its so bad it keeps missing and hiting the fire surround

As for the missing the fire with the B2 i can WELL beleive it

The sound of a HARD hitting pellet hmmmmmmm.

There are a few things you can do to lessen the sound.

A bit of old innertube on your back stop will reduce the noise or use a bit of wood as a back stop like pine.

I have a 25 yard range out back and hit tins etc and it's not that loud

zeb