Thread: 10m air pistol practice.

10m air pistol practice.

Morning peeps

What do you guys do in the way of training/practice when shooting 10m ap?

I feel the need to formalise my practice so the resulting cards are easy to score and are of a similar number each sesdion.

Do the NSRA shoot 4 shots per card and ISSF 5? I'm thinking of taking part in NSRA postal comps next year so I guess it makes sense to shoot 4 per target and get used to that course of fire/scoring. Ive also started to use a ISSF scoring app which is really interesting.

I think what I'm trying to get at is what do you think is the right amount of practice cards to shoot during a session so i can access how im scoring?

Thoughts on any of the above much appreciated.

Clive
    "This doll is extremely dangerous, it has voodoo qualities"

A few things to consider:
    It doesn't matter if you shoot 1,4, 5, 10 or 60 shots per card. They are all individual shots, so don't get hung up on that.

Scoring - best not to. I know we all want to record and measure performance - but what that does is focus you on the outcome. The outcome is a result of the process - so you need to focus on the process; and let the outcome take care of itself.
    One way to embed that is NOT to score your training cards. Think more in terms of:
    How each shot felt. Consistent feel? Recoil the same each time? How was the triggering? Follow through? Where do you think the shot went? etc etc

If you want to score - how about measuring group size? Shoot ten shots and how far appart are the widest two? Bring that down to 30mm and you'll be on the money. Down to 20mm and you can shoot 100s all day long ;-)

In terms of how many shots. How many will you compete at? 60 shot match is the norm, with say 15 sighters means you should be physically fit enough to to do 75 shots and 25 raises - so training 100 routines is good. But if you are not there yet, it is better to do 20 or 30 quality shots in training than to just throw lead down the range doing the volume. Work up to it.

Cheers
    Alan

Very good advice right there ^

Thanks Alan....some wise words indeed.

Clive

I have been practicing my pistol shooting with my Hammerli and find I tend to wobble a bit in the arm, are there any exercises to make the arm more steady.

I find that 15 mins dry firing each evening helps with automating the address, raise, lower, aim, fire, follow through and hones repeatability.
    It also helps to automate your breathing as you go through the cycle.

I wear similar clothes and boots to what I'd wear for the club along with my blinder to make the simulation as close as possible.

When I get to the club on a Sunday morning I warm up so much more quickly because the familiarisation is daily rather than weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    I have been practicing my pistol shooting with my Hammerli and find I tend to wobble a bit in the arm, are there any exercises to make the arm more steady.
    Just practice and it will improve.

Try

Press-ups. They should work.

However, when a tiny 10 year old girl is shooting next to you in a major competition.
    Shooting better than you and using the same model pistol.

It's not all about strength, and holding the gun rock steady.

It's releasing the trigger at the right moment in time.

A powerbal will strengthen your wrist, core strenth is important to be steady. I actually joined a gym with my son, with his guidance I worked on every thing (it needed it!!) but heavily on my core strenth and have been doing so for 6 months now along with cardio, not only do I feel far better and have lost weight but my shooting has also improved and become far more consistant, your not looking to body build just strengthen and stabilise the muscles, the cardio helps with your heart rate, I have used a heart monitor on his advise to show me how breathing can control the heart rate during and after excersize, (or indeed whilst shooting) I now do my main workouts 2-3 days before a shoot and a light one the evening before, the rest as Nick say's in in technique, kids generally have better core strenth than adults as they excersize in school & run around a lot where as adults tend to go to the pub (well I did anyway
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Practice.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Any Real pistol shooter knows that his (or her) technique, stance and aim are perfect it's the target that moves the trick is knowing when to pull the trigger as the target drifts past
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Any Real pistol shooter knows that his (or her) technique, stance and aim are perfect it's the target that moves the trick is knowing when to pull the trigger as the target drifts past
    Pull? Dont you mean s q u e e z e ?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    . Probably the truest statement on here
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    First make sure yr zero position is correct. If you correct from the arm you'll never be stable
    Besides that, how/why did you buy yr hammerli? Cause it fitted you weight/balnce wise or cause it came by for the right $$$?
    Most buy on second reason. Fine but than you'll never get yr position perfectly stable if the pistol doesnt suit you
    Is it a wrist or arm issue? Mostly its a wrist issue (not fixating)
    Regarding practice, nuff said above.
    ATB,
    yana

Great answers peeps!.......