Thread: Was the Hy-score the most successful springer pistol in history?

Was the Hy-score the most successful springer pistol in history?

I thought I read that Hy-score produced well over 200,000 pistols in its 20 year run. Right now I can't locate where I read that? Not knowing other production levels that well, does any other spring pistol eclipse this?

I think the 200K number is 'Hy'. The 700's had serial numbers with first digit "7" and the highest of those I've noted is less than 703000. When they started with models 80x it appears they commenced at 800000 and the highest I've noted is around 935000. If they didn't skip any numbers we might expect around 140 or 150K total production.

Surely the highest production numbers of all would be for either the Marksman cheapo or some version of the GAT pistols; either of those likely sold in the millions.

If you limit the race to "quality adult" pistols, some contenders would have to be Diana 5, Webley Tempest, and maybe other Webley models?

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    I think the 200K number is 'Hy'. The 700's had serial numbers with first digit "7" and the highest of those I've noted is less than 703000. When they started with models 80x it appears they commenced at 800000 and the highest I've noted is around 935000. If they didn't skip any numbers we might expect around 140 or 150K total production.

Surely the highest production numbers of all would be for either the Marksman cheapo or some version of the GAT pistols; either of those likely sold in the millions.

If you limit the race to "quality adult" pistols, some contenders would have to be Diana 5, Webley Tempest, and maybe other Webley models?

Don R.
    Agree with all of that. Webley made about 50,000 Mk1s from 1924-40. They then made more of them from 1945-64. So I wouldn't be surprised to learn they had made 100,000. Add in the Senior, Premier, Tempest etc etc and I think you could be easily looking at over a quarter million of the Johnstone-Fearn design.

Same for the Diana 5. Especially if you count the pre-war 5 and the post-war 5 and 5G as the same gun. Made in quantity over a period spanning about 70 years.

And the other thread running at the moment reminds me that Crosman must surely have made lots of the 357 revolver since it was introduced (in the 1980s?).

There were almost 215,000 of the Feinwerkbau 65/80/90 pistols made altogether over 30-odd years, which were essentiall the same pistol. Probably the most successful ever recoilless spring pistol, I would have thought, although I don't know how many Diana 6/10s were made.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think your right on the FWB 65 -80 - 90. I think my internet reading got scrabbled? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There were almost 215,000 of the Feinwerkbau 65/80/90 pistols made altogether over 30-odd years, which were essentiall the same pistol. Probably the most successful ever recoilless spring pistol, I would have thought, although I don't know how many Diana 6/10s were made.
    I had a similar thought just after I posted. And I imagine 80% of the FWBs were 65s.

Diana made the 6 and 6G for forty years. There may be even more of them around. My subjective UK-centric impression is that they come up for sale even more often than FWBs.

Well, we do know the most successful Crosman rifle of all-time: model 760. Many millions sold. An interesting note on the 760 is that it was first independently developed at the Canadian Crosman facility. It was known as the Canadian Boy. Extremely rare. Very valuable to collectors in US.

Not sure on the most successful pistol model, 130/1300/1322/1377 perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Well, we do know the most successful Crosman rifle of all-time: model 760. Many millions sold. An interesting note on the 760 is that it was first independently developed at the Canadian Crosman facility. It was known as the Canadian Boy. Extremely rare. Very valuable to collectors in US.

Not sure on the most successful pistol model, 130/1300/1322/1377 perhaps.
    At the time,Myron tried to trade me Canadian Boy 760s for old BSAs.I turned down the offer though......Trev