Thread: New old gun inbound!

Question New old gun inbound!

Hi all

I sent payment for this rifle earlier today, The chap that was selling it was told it was a BSA Break barrel or a copy..

At first I thought it was a Diana mod27 (Due to the shape of the trigger block) in a different stock but then I had a gander through my Hillers guide and i'm pretty sure it's a Midland 'Demon', Can anyone confirm this or am I a mile wide of the mark??

It was resprung and resealed five years ago and still shootswell according to the vendor, It had two cracks in the stock where it meets the action but these were stabilised by the gunsmith and there's no movement in it..

The chap is posting it saturday morning by Porcelfarce 48..

Pic 1

Pic 2

It seems the keeper screw for the barrel axis bolt is missing so i'll have to source one or try making one on my lathe (When I get it set up!! )

Can anyone say with authority if it is indeed a Demon or otherwise please?

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

It is a perfect copy of the photo in Dennis Hiller's book listed as the Midland Demon 1919-1935. He says "assumed" manufactured by them as it seems to have a lot in common with Diana and BSA.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Looks like a Midland to me. Just a point I have always wondered, were these really made by the Midland Gun Company,or where they rebadged imports?

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Looks like a Midland to me. Just a point I have always wondered, were these really made by the Midland Gun Company,or where they rebadged imports?

Mmmmm........?
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I always thought that the MGC was always marked up (engraved) as such and had detail differences from other very similar air rifles made at the time in the woodwork where a screw through the Trigger Block goes through a small brass or steel plate let into the top of the wood. I can't really remember as I haven't seen one for years, but I thought that this small plate differentiated the MGC from the rest.

I'd be interested to hear other points of view regarding this as unfortunately my memory is shaky these days, but getting back to the original query, it's a lovely looking air rifle but I'm not sure if it's a "Demon" in the true sense of the word (if it does transpire that it is actually a Demon, then apologies in advance).

Vic Thompson.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    I always thought that the MGC was always marked up (engraved) as such and had detail differences from other very similar air rifles made at the time in the woodwork where a screw through the Trigger Block goes through a small brass or steel plate let into the top of the wood. I can't really remember as I haven't seen one for years, but I thought that this small plate differentiated the MGC from the rest.

I'd be interested to hear other points of view regarding this as unfortunately my memory is shaky these days, but getting back to the original query, it's a lovely looking air rifle but I'm not sure if it's a "Demon" in the true sense of the word (if it does transpire that it is actually a Demon, then apologies in advance).

Vic Thompson.
    You are quite right with the screw going through the trigger block for the MGC, the Diana is almost the same but does not have the screw.

Thumbs up

It's probably a Diana then, I saw a pic of the insert at the top of the stock but have no idea yet if this does or not, Most likely not!!

Just found the pic again, Danny (Garvin) put it up when Chris (hwvixen) was selling a very nice example of one back in 2009 on here!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Choose what it is John, its a great looking air rifle !

John.

ps, your Vulcan KS shot very well yesterday down at the range !
    “An airgun or two”………

Looks very nice John,whatever it turns out to be,Den.