Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 front sight extension. Why?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

HW45 front sight extension. Why?

I've just got another 45, this ones an original, single power .22 with shoulder stock and front sight extender. I understand this is to make it more suited to use as a carbine, but I've driven from Kent to Cornwall today, I'm tired and befuddled and simply can't work out why this would work?
    Looking at it all that should happen in my mind is the POI is lowered. I can't test it until tomorrow, so until then could someone please explain it in short, easy to understand words why?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Because the additional weight of the stock, and the fact of being fired from the shoulder, change the way in which the recoil affects the gun, moving the POI down. They tame it a bit, and the muzzle moves up less between trigger break and the pellet leaving the barrel.

A bit like POA shift when adding a muzzle weight to a springer rifle.

Or that heavier bullets shoot noticeably higher than lighter ones in magnum revolvers (because they exit the barrel slightly later in the recoil stroke).

Or SMGs fire at a slighter faster cyclic rate from the shoulder than with the stock folded.

Cheers Geezer! I had thought that, but then thought raising the front sight was the opposite of what it needed?

Like I said, I'm tired, and thanks to sampling a bottle of donated Hong Thong, Thailands premier blended imitation Scotch, also now emotional!

Would it move the poi so much as to need the sight being moved? Would it be anymore than the difference between the half power and full power settings on the hw45?

Whatever the reason, it works. In fact I still had to lower the sights to get the pellets down to the target!

What a fab little carbine though. Its much easier to cock with the stock, very stable and great fun!
    I fitted a kit to it many moons ago and took a coil off at the same time, and now with the stock fitted the noise is out of all proportion to the tiny movement the recoil creates.
    I've kept it on the opens for now as that suits the look, and after half an hours practice I'm getting about a 1" spread at 10m. I know that would have been instant and then improved upon with a scope, but I really like the simplicity.

Who needs rifles?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you find the standard Weirauch shoulder stock comfortable you must have arms like a gibbon!...had one years ago and found it way too long...
    I had the foresight extender as well and assumed it was necessary because your eye was now much, much closer to the rear sight...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    If you find the standard Weirauch shoulder stock comfortable you must have arms like a gibbon!...had one years ago and found it way too long...
    I had the foresight extender as well and assumed it was necessary because your eye was now much, much closer to the rear sight...
    I've heard that before, but the LOP on this is 13 3/4" so I just thought I'd imagined it? I think its a factory one?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps05fmwjtk.jpg

Any pics ? I've never seen one with a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Any pics ? I've never seen one with a stock.

Yes, theres a link in the above post.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Yes, theres a link in the above post.
    Sorry didn't see it ... it came up with an error for me just now though

Working now, must be pb playing up. Like the pistol but looks real strange with a stock on. ... chuck the stock on the fire

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Working now, must be pb playing up. Like the pistol but looks real strange with a stock on. ... chuck the stock on the fire
    That'd mean taking the HW35's out!

Sorry, I didn't realise you were actually going to use it with the stock on

That does not look like the factory item. They are longer. Maybe it is a factory one that has been cut down?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That does not look like the factory item. They are longer. Maybe it is a factory one that has been cut down?
    I think so. Better for it, too. Look how long this one is: http://c0728562.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...MI23412_HR.jpg