Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small digital pellet scales

small digital pellet scales

Hi Lads
    Just after advice on some cheap pellets scales preferable not from a gunshop as they tend to charge more
    Thanks

"Diamond" brand max up to 20g accurate to 0.001g and measures in grains also. Bought on the bay for not much, intended for jewellery use but much cheaper than ones sold specifically for gun use.

I've recently bought a set off EbAYy for £5, they measure in grains down to 0.001. They seem ok so far, especially for the price.

Phil.
    Eagles may fly high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines !

Quote Originally Posted by Wilyfox View Post
    I've recently bought a set off EbAYy for £5, they measure in grains down to 0.001. They seem ok so far, especially for the price.

Phil.
    I strongly suspect it's 0.001g which is 0.01gn, same as mine but that's plenty enough for weighing pellets.

I bought a set off e**y, for not much, with the test weight.

They claim 0.01g but I found that repeat weighing of the same pellet shows some variation (up to 0.02g), so you can't really sort pellets by weight to 0.01g, but you can fish out the really heavy or really light ones.

If you are checking JSB's then there won't be many of these. I found them to be very consistent. If you're checking cheaper pellets, then you might see more variation and the scales might be of more use. So you'd certainly find pellets with 0.05g variation.

This may be just the scales I happen to have of course...
    Last edited by RichardinDorset; 06-12-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Accurate to two decimal places when using the grain scale is plenty good enough. As a matter of interest the pellet most different from its stated weight was H&N FTT the majority weighing 15 and over grains and labelled as 14.6.

Thanks lads I'll have a look on flee bay

Quote Originally Posted by RichardinDorset View Post
    I bought a set off e**y, for not much, with the test weight.

They claim 0.01g but I found that repeat weighing of the same pellet shows some variation (up to 0.02g), so you can't really sort pellets by weight to 0.01g, but you can fish out the really heavy or really light ones.

If you are checking JSB's then there won't be many of these. I found them to be very consistent. If you're checking cheaper pellets, then you might see more variation and the scales might be of more use. So you'd certainly find pellets with 0.05g variation.

This may be just the scales I happen to have of course...

Again I suspect confusion over your weights & measures, you state 0.01g which would only be 0.15gn

g = gram, gn = grain 1g = 15.4gn (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Again I suspect confusion over your weights & measures, you state 0.01g which would only be 0.15gn

g = gram, gn = grain 1g = 15.4gn (ish)

No confusion my end... I didn't mention grains...

The scale reads to 0.01 grammes. An Air Arms .22 Diabolo field weighs 1.02g +/- 0.01g, so the same pellet will read from 1.01g to 1.03g. They are supposed to weigh 1.037g.

Accurate absolute weight measurement isn't important but consistency of weight is.

The scale can't do any better than +/- 0.01g so you can't really sort pellets any better than that. Good pellets seem to be within this range anyway.

I bought some cheap scales off the Bay for about a tenner. Very variable - same pellets weighed 3 times had 3 different wts by quite a margin. I binned them after 1 use. I personally suggest save your money or buy some quality scales if you want accuracy.
    I have a wind problem.

If you leave the scales on the gram setting you will find that you can work at a higher level of tolerance as they should weigh to 0.001 grams. The big problem with the cheaper scales is the repeatability and the actual tolerance because of the number of decimal paces they report to - only 2 when in grain mode, but 3 in gram mode.
    Putting the same weight on 10 times will result in a variance. A pellet of 0.920 grams on a cheapie scale with a tolerance of 0.001 gram (typically rounding at 0.0005 grams) could range from 0.9155 to 0.9249 (approx.).
    As with any scale you shod always check calibrate it before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    If you leave the scales on the gram setting you will find that you can work at a higher level of tolerance as they should weigh to 0.001 grams. The big problem with the cheaper scales is the repeatability and the actual tolerance because of the number of decimal paces they report to - only 2 when in grain mode, but 3 in gram mode.
    And there are 15+gn to the g so the extra decimal place in grams is actually less accurate than 1 less decimal place in grain's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjoh View Post
    I bought some cheap scales off the Bay for about a tenner. Very variable - same pellets weighed 3 times had 3 different wts by quite a margin. I binned them after 1 use. I personally suggest save your money or buy some quality scales if you want accuracy.
    This.....

I've had mine for a long time now and were (i think) around the £200 mark.....but you can put the same pellet on 10 times and it will give you the same weight.

wild dogman, if you're just trying a bit of experimentation to see whether accurately weighed pellets make a difference then you're welcome to borrow my scales for a while mate. I've dabbled with the whole head sizing, skirt sizing, weighing, washing, lubing in the past but don't do much these days unless i'm switching to a new batch of pellets and want a bit of confidence in weight spread. I did once post a spreadsheet on here where i weighed a good tin of pellets and calculated the fps variation you would get from lightest to heaviest in the tin.....it came to a spread of 12fps IIRC. I also shot groups with the different weights (in 0.02 grain seperations) and found that the difference in POI and group sizes were negligable.....mostly an exercise in confidence really.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 07-12-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I bought this some weeks ago from the crescent in the coast

Item No 162001808834

I re-weighed the same pellet several times over and got the same result so they are accurate for my needs. I have to say that I am not quite as fastidious as some as all I need to know is an average, for working out ft lbs, as opposed to relying on what it says on the tin.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    This.....

I've had mine for a long time now and were (i think) around the £200 mark.....but you can put the same pellet on 10 times and it will give you the same weight.

wild dogman, if you're just trying a bit of experimentation to see whether accurately weighed pellets make a difference then you're welcome to borrow my scales for a while mate. I've dabbled with the whole head sizing, skirt sizing, weighing, washing, lubing in the past but don't do much these days unless i'm switching to a new batch of pellets and want a bit of confidence in weight spread. I did once post a spreadsheet on here where i weighed a good tin of pellets and calculated the fps variation you would get from lightest to heaviest in the tin.....it came to a spread of 12fps IIRC. I also shot groups with the different weights (in 0.02 grain seperations) and found that the difference in POI and group sizes were negligable.....mostly an exercise in confidence really.
    Thanks for the very kind offer ChrisC
    All sorted now Thanks