Thread: Quick question

Quick question

Hi guys,

If I made a target box with spoons in, would they stand up to repeated pellet hits from a pistol? Or are they only suitable for bb pistols.

Can anyone tell me what power BB pistols put out, and what targets normally are used? I've noticed a fabric catcher, I'm guessing these are unsuitable for pellet pistols?

Cheers

I wouldn't fire at anything metal with BB's. They ricochet.

In fact I wouldn't shoot BB's at anything, it's not only metal they bounce off.

Spoons are fine as "field expedient" spinning targets for low-powered lead pellets. Just have a proper backstop behind as well.

As Rob says, never shoot BBs at anything metal, wood, etc. They need paper, card, old blankets, that kind of stuff.

Ah, I've never had one. Not the co2 versions anyway, Quite a few years ago I had a low powered plastic bb pistol gun thing. Only had it for a week, so I've no frame of reference.

Thanks, that rules that out

Thanks, will look into the paper and card targets. Thanks for the heads up.

Unless by "BBs" you mean the plastic balls used in airsoft (rather than steel BBs) about which I know nothing much, except that people shoot them at each other in "war games" with nothing more than eye protection.

Even so, I wouldn't shoot them at anything hard in a typical back garden scenario, because your neighbours might not welcome little plastic balls pinging off their heads from your ricochets, and might call the cops about the mad man next door firing his handgun and hitting them with the "bullets". Which is both illegal, and something not to do unless you like staring down the barrel of a number of loaded MP5s while being shouted at, handcuffed and dragged into a police car, and going to court and possibly prison.

That's London for you.

whatever target and back stop you use, tell your neighbours what you are doing and ask if they want ago (get a few paires of safety specs) explaine that you've done everything reasonably posable to prevent pellets/BBs from bouncing and going into there garden, this should alleviate there concerns about you shooting in the garden
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Unless by "BBs" you mean the plastic balls used in airsoft (rather than steel BBs) about which I know nothing much, except that people shoot them at each other in "war games" with nothing more than eye protection.

Even so, I wouldn't shoot them at anything hard in a typical back garden scenario, because your neighbours might not welcome little plastic balls pinging off their heads from your ricochets, and might call the cops about the mad man next door firing his handgun and hitting them with the "bullets". Which is both illegal, and something not to do unless you like staring down the barrel of a number of loaded MP5s while being shouted at, handcuffed and dragged into a police car, and going to court and possibly prison.
    Plastic balls leading to prison ...blimey guv you must ave some serious previous for the sweeney to wanna bang you up for plastic richochets.

It's not for the back garden, trying to get idea of targets to make for an out door range.

Thanks for the responses, it's given me quite a bit to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Plastic balls leading to prison ...blimey guv you must ave some serious previous for the sweeney to wanna bang you up for plastic richochets.
    Happily not.

Just few things would surprise me. While I am a great fan of our legal system, which, believe it or not is the envy of much of the world, and of the police, with whom I have had the pleasure and privilege of working, every once in a while the law enforcement machinery manages to make an odd decision. Not least where guns, which are feared by many and misunderstood by even more, are concerned.

And I did say "possibly".