Thread: Small BSA Improved Model D

Small BSA Improved Model D

My neighbour has given me an old BSA Air rifle and I have spent the last three hours trawling the internet to find out what it is, without any real success.

It's unusual in as much as it is only about 34 inches long. It just about says BSA Air rifle Improved Model D on the top. Model No 46720. The cocking arm says Lincoln Jeffries Patent. It's .177. There is a number on the barrel of 479972 as far as I can read it.

The stock rocks a little in its fixing. The rear site seems to be missing an adjusting wheel and it only cocks after about the fifth attempt. Yes its pretty shoddy but the pellets come out the end fast enough.

My guess is its a BSA improved Model D Junior model (if such a thing exists) but I haven't found an exact photo to match it as such.

I enquire on this site, hoping that the small size of the gun makes it a rarity.

As regards photos, it is a long time since I posted one on this site and I'm not sure if I can remember how.

Thank you in anticipation.

Arbe
    arbe

Quote Originally Posted by arbe View Post
    My neighbour has given me an old BSA Air rifle and I have spent the last three hours trawling the internet to find out what it is, without any real success.

It's unusual in as much as it is only about 34 inches long. It just about says BSA Air rifle Improved Model D on the top. Model No 46720. The cocking arm says Lincoln Jeffries Patent. It's .177. There is a number on the barrel of 479972 as far as I can read it.

The stock rocks a little in its fixing. The rear site seems to be missing an adjusting wheel and it only cocks after about the fifth attempt. Yes its pretty shoddy but the pellets come out the end fast enough.

My guess is its a BSA improved Model D Junior model (if such a thing exists) but I haven't found an exact photo to match it as such.

I enquire on this site, hoping that the small size of the gun makes it a rarity.

As regards photos, it is a long time since I posted one on this site and I'm not sure if I can remember how.

Thank you in anticipation.

Arbe

Hi,

The rifle you describe would seem indeed to be a BSA Improved Mod D Junior Pattern first introduced in 1910 for use by younger shooters. It was actually a cut-down version of the Light Pattern, but the reduced cylinder length and diminutive stock made it easier for 12-15 year olds to handle. A similar, but more specifically manufactured Junior design called the Juvenile appeared in 1913 and resulted in the replacement of the Junior. The two can be easily distinguished by the cocking lever catch arrangement and the rear sight. The Junior usually had the standard, Bayonet shaped end to the lever while the Juvenile had the more sophisticated side latch. The rear sights were also different with the Junior having a a turret with an associated wheel turned to make vertical adjustments and the Juvenile having a pair of flip-up blades regulated for increasing ranges.

If you scroll down on Danny Garvins excellent site (link below) you will find pictures of both models.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/670443

These rifles would have been very expensive for the period they were produced and consequently quite rare, so it would have been a very lucky boy or girl who was lucky enough to own one.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 06-12-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Thank you for that. Very useful. I had nearly got there but there's an awful lot of info to absorb.

I have looked at the link you've attached and can see near the bottom of the page the Junior and Juvenile photographs. Mine looks like the junior with the offset bayonet cocking lever catch, but the stock is not straight like that shown but more like the Juvenile one.

I have spent an hour trying to put a link to my photographs but for some reason can't do it, so will call it a day. If you wish I can email you a picture.

Thanks again Arbe
    arbe

Thank you for that. Very useful. I had nearly got there but there's an awful lot of info to absorb.

I have looked at the link you've attached and can see near the bottom of the page the Junior and Juvenile photographs. Mine looks like the junior with the offset bayonet cocking lever catch, but the stock is not straight like that shown but more like the Juvenile one.

I have spent an hour trying to put a link to my photographs but for some reason can't do it, so will call it a day. If you wish I can email you a picture.
    Thanks again Arbe
    Arbe if you'd be kind enough to email me your pics, I'd be happy to add your rifle to the gallery and post a link to it here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks again Arbe
    Hello Arbe,

The Junior was produced with both straight and pistol grip stocks, although I believe the straight hand stock is the more common.

Below is a link to a picture which includes my own Junior pattern beneath the Light and Standard patterns for comparison.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abasma...posted-public/

Regards

Brian

Arbe,

The Junior was fitted with a shorter stock than Standard and Light models. The stock length would have been stamped by the hand of the stock in inches and that is one way to tell a genuine Junior. Not sure if you can see any such marks on yours?

Kind regards,

John

Photos sent to Garvin and hopefully he can do something with them. I have taken a few further ones with an iphone which could be sent if the others are unsuccessful.

Thank you all for your help.

As regards Johns enquiry about the length of the stock - there is stamped on it 11.5. It really says eleven and a half but I can't find a key for the 'half'

Sounds as though it could be reasonably scarce, pity it's tatty.
    arbe

Pics of Arbe's IMD Junior here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

looks like that one will clean up nicely,it appears that the rifle has spent most of it's existence well cared for and perhaps for a relatively short period neglected.good find. atb

Thanks everyone for help and useful comments. I now have to decide whether to try and smarten it up myself (but have little experience) or move it on.

I'll decide later. Thank you again. Arbe
    arbe

Thanks everyone for help and useful comments. I now have to decide whether to try and smarten it up myself (but have little experience) or move it on.

I'll decide later. Thank you again. Arbe
    If you decide to DIY, don't use any abrasives on the metalwork other than the finest steel wool you can buy, together with some oil. Buyers will run a mile if you over do it.
    Mel.

The stock length should be 11 1/4", so you have a genuine Junior. These are not very common, so despite the condition of the finish and sights, I'd say the rifle would still fetch around the £180 mark. Well done on finding her!

John