Thread: marking foot position in a competition

Talking marking foot position in a competition

Something I always wondered about but never had the guts to ask.

Are you allowed to mark your foot position with 2 bits of tape on the floor or something once you are in the right place in a competition?

Sorry for the daft question but I thought that I would get the least ridicule here!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    No you can't use tape or obviously any thing permanant such as a marker, the rule states no substances, and the glue on the tape rates as such.

BUT, you can place any thing you wish to use which is just "placed" in your shooting area. I use folding rulers with the rifle shooter we work with but I also know there are pistol shooters doing the same thing. It is perfectly legal, you will see them used at all levels of match.

Before you set up, stand back as far behind the point as you can get and judge as accurately as you can the direct line at right angle from the target (its not always the centre of the point). Then set up your position accurately from that centre line. Make a note in your shooting diary of the position and then you can always repeat it where ever you shoot.

Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thumbs up

Superb answer! Thanks Robin, I knew I could count on this forum!

How about a blob of blutac on the back of the ruler, in case it is accidentally kicked?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    How about a blob of blutac on the back of the ruler, in case it is accidentally kicked?
    That would be a substance and is not allowed, and yes, they do get knocked some times, just take care. If you do move it, just stand back, look, and reset it.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Foot position should be muscle memory, instinct, if you have to mark where your feet should be then it's clear that you haven't spent enough time shooting
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

3 kids mate, I don't have time to eat meals sitting down!!

One of our club members just happened to mention that in the shooting booth he favours there is a small indent in the floor in which he positions his heel.
    I couldn't resist. When he wasn't looking I crept in to the 10m range and lifted the carpet tile and filled the indent in with paper. I loved the little Hocky Cocky he did trying to find the hollow with his heel the next time he went in to pistol shoot.
    Me? Mean?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric fwb 65 View Post
    3 kids mate, I don't have time to eat meals sitting down!!
    Ha! Ha! That sounds familiar...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?