Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA mercury

BSA mercury

I have a BSA mercury that is well used, but operational. A few cosmetic bumps and scuffs.

Are there any collectors of mercury's that might be interested in it as either a rough useable gun or a restoration project?

Not sure if direct sales are permitted in this section so if not please accept my apologies.

Would £75 be the right ballpark figure?

If more detail or pics are needed I'd be happy to oblige.

The serial number starts with Z, from what I can find on knibbs website that makes it 1971 to 1973 if that helps.
    Last edited by yorkiets; 08-12-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Ok, I guess that's a no.

Plan B.

I've never done anything with old BSAs before. Is there anything special that I need to be aware of before I start to refurbish it?

Thanks in advance.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Right ballpark

they are very simple. Do the usual trick when replacing the piston seal o-ring or using a slightly smaller one than std, and the original is too tight.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Good buy for someone wanting to do a re-furb!
    Simple and great old rifles!

I still have my Mercury to refurb - have a nice .25 cal barrel to fit to it too - should be a nice 'special' when I'm done! (If indeed I ever get to do it before I'm 'done'! )

(probably not a good time of the year for selling anything mate - Christmas etc! )

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Right ballpark

they are very simple. Do the usual trick when replacing the piston seal o-ring or using a slightly smaller one than std, and the original is too tight.
    Thanks, Jon

What's the usual trick? I'm not a BSA afficianado.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Good buy for someone wanting to do a re-furb!
    Simple and great old rifles!

I still have my Mercury to refurb - have a nice .25 cal barrel to fit to it too - should be a nice 'special' when I'm done! (If indeed I ever get to do it before I'm 'done'! )

(probably not a good time of the year for selling anything mate - Christmas etc! )

ASM
    Thanks

Yes, probably the wrong month as you say.

I think I've decided to give it some love rather than pass it along. It's probably time that I got familiar with old BSAs.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Thanks

Yes, probably the wrong month as you say.

I think I've decided to give it some love rather than pass it along. It's probably time that I got familiar with old BSAs.
    Frankly that's a good plan - they are not difficult to work on/strip and the parts supply, both new and secondhand is good!
    You will end up with an enjoyable experience and a damn fine rifle to boot.
    To be honest - at that price, if I didn't already have a Mercury fixerupper to do - I would have snapped that up!

Word of advice - don't use anything other than an original specification spring - overspringing them will spoil it!

If after your'e finished, you decide to pass it on - you should get more for it as well as having gained the pleasure and experience of restoring it!

Good luck mate!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Thanks, Jon

What's the usual trick? I'm not a BSA afficianado.
    sorry, my typo .. the usual trick of fitting a smaller o-ring
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    sorry, my typo .. the usual trick of fitting a smaller o-ring
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks. Don't suppose you know the size off hand do you?

Edit: will it definitely be an o ring in a 71-73 gun? No chance of a leather Jobbie?

It's usually a Meteor O ring I've tried this a couple of times and the standard seal works better , more power or atleast on the ones I've done Atb Mike
    A few nice rifles

I suspect the Mercury rifle is the same as it's brother rifle the Airsporter (pretty much the same) in that more 'power' doesn't necessarily equate to better all round performance!
    More consistency is what your'e 'aiming' at - at around 10.5 ft/lbs!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    I suspect the Mercury rifle is the same as it's brother rifle the Airsporter (pretty much the same) in that more 'power' doesn't necessarily equate to better all round performance!
    More consistency is what your'e 'aiming' at - at around 10.5 ft/lbs!

ASM
    I'm with you.

I'm not a power merchant, I do like them to be a pleasure to use. In my hands it will never be used for anything but targets, so max power is not part of the equation.

All the service parts are on their way to me now.

I can't decide whether to redo the stock, it's got some age related marks but nothing catastrophic.

Definite reblue needed though.

Not on about high power with the Meteor O ring I was getting around 8ftlbs on the examples I tried with the Mercury O ring it was around 10 and the Meteor ring didn't shoot any nicer atb Mike
    A few nice rifles

I'm with you.

I'm not a power merchant, I do like them to be a pleasure to use. In my hands it will never be used for anything but targets, so max power is not part of the equation.

All the service parts are on their way to me now.

I can't decide whether to redo the stock, it's got some age related marks but nothing catastrophic.

Definite reblue needed though.
    Age related marks are okay if you can live with them - they are part of the rifles history and are 'genuine'.
    If not, then refurbish the stock, but avoid cheap and nasty finishes that don't look right. (varnish is a no-no)
    Stocks are normally beech (a light coloured wood naturally) so staining and oil finishing is my preferred.
    If the stock is walnut - then an oil finish is my preferred!
    Each to their own!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Not on about high power with the Meteor O ring I was getting around 8ftlbs on the examples I tried with the Mercury O ring it was around 10 and the Meteor ring didn't shoot any nicer atb Mike
    I would have thought 8 ft/lbs was too low mate.
    However, consistency is the name of the game along with the avoidance of 'recoil' and 'harshness'!
    If you are happy with how the rifle fires/performs - then it's right for you!
    atb
    ASM