Thread: 5.5mm Eley Wasp weight??

5.5mm Eley Wasp weight??

Hi all

I was just trying some rifles with the Combro and suddenly realised I didn't know the weight of them, Looked high and low and can't find me pellet scales

Does anyone know thew weight of the (Proper) Eley Wasp 5.5mm (Lavender coloured tin) Please??

I've looked on T'interweb and all the replies seems to be for the 'Crappy' non Eley ones

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

According to some data sheets from Gerald Cardew tests they were 14.4 grains. I seem to remember them as around 14.5 grains.

Try this, John :-

http://extorian.co.uk/shooting/pellets.html

All the best Mick

Thumbs up

Cheers lads!

Mick, I've faved that site, Much easier and quicker than working it out on me calculator

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    According to some data sheets from Gerald Cardew tests they were 14.4 grains. I seem to remember them as around 14.5 grains.
    Yes, I seem to remember having seen 14.4 quoted (for the 5.6mm ones).

But the site that Mick has provided the link to quotes 14.64 for both sizes.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

edbear2 Guest
    Just opened a Blue B6 postcode older tin of 5.6mm and they measure (on my "MYCO precision bay cheapie digi scales) 14.4 gr with very little variation, and still super shiny as "proper" ones used to be.

Prewar (1930's) paper label ones were normally 14.7gr. I have opened sealed tins of these in the past when the outside and label were rough, and they shoot as well as the 70's/80's ones.

Pink 5.5mm's are coming up at 14.2gr.

I re-calibrated the scales and pressed tare every time, but they are a fairly cheap set .

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 09-12-2016 at 08:08 AM.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Just opened a Blue B6 postcode older tin of 5.6mm and they measure (on my "MYCO precision bay cheapie digi scales) 14.4 gr with very little variation, and still super shiny as "proper" ones used to be.
    I recently read a very old issue of Airgun World that had an article about the manufacturing of Eley Wasps. Apparently, the reason the pellets within a tin are so consistent is that unlike other manufacturing processes, Eley used to ensure that all the pellets in a tin were from the same die. Other manufacturers may have a bank of dies all dropping pellets into a hopper, which then dispenses the pellets into a tin once there's a given weight in the hopper.
    That's not to say Eley only had one die, but that a tin would sit under each die until it was full.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.