Thread: Spring Guide

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5

Spring Guide

Following a chat with a lathe owning shooter. The subject of a new guide for his 97 came up. As he is going to make this himself, production cost aren't a factor. So what is the best material for making the guide.

Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Following a chat with a lathe owning shooter. The subject of a new guide for his 97 came up. As he is going to make this himself, production cost aren't a factor. So what is the best material for making the guide.

Pete
    A lot are made of Delrin which has good vibration damping properties but is temperature sensitive and not particularly stiff, I also make them from aluminium or steel, if you make them from either of these metals you can turn them to a very precise sliding fit with the spring and inset them into the end cap on some rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    A lot are made of Delrin which has good vibration damping properties but is temperature sensitive and not particularly stiff, I also make them from aluminium or steel, if you make them from either of these metals you can turn them to a very precise sliding fit with the spring and inset them into the end cap on some rifles.
    As above, re the vibration damping of the Delrin guide.

Stainless steel one will, ultimately be more durable and, as long as it's sized correctly, you should have no twang.

If you're doing a guide, do a top hat, too. And I'd prefer Delrin for that, so as not to increase piston mass.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I recently turned one up in phosphor bronze. Works a treat. Steel on bronze is better than steel on steel from a friction viewpoint.

I use Delrin for guides and top hats, works lovely
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As above, re the vibration damping of the Delrin guide.

Stainless steel one will, ultimately be more durable and, as long as it's sized correctly, you should have no twang.

If you're doing a guide, do a top hat, too. And I'd prefer Delrin for that, so as not to increase piston mass.
    Yes Tone, that's what was fitted to my 77K by Venom back in 1985 & it's still going strong.

Rob