Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Pistol noob in need of guidance

Air Pistol noob in need of guidance

Hi Guys

Thinking of getting an air pistol for use at the range next year

Currently enjoying my Air Arms S400 rifle and can't see that changing, but wanted some more variety

Have seen a few reviews of the Crosman PFM16

Wondered if it is accurate enough as an entry level pistol target shooting gun, or is there something better out there

Also read about the copperhead BB pellets that reduce rebound which sounds interesting

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    If you want an accurate pistol, I'd avoid c02 like the plague. PCP, single stroke or multi stroke pneumatic are the way forward for accuracy.

That's what I can gather from the few c02 pistols I've tried. They kick too hard and take you off target!

The most comfortable one I tried was a revolver style pistol where you could cock the hammer and fire single shots.

It only grouped about 2p size groups though, where as my HW75 and previously my Webley Alecto could group under a 5p over 10 metres.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

I wouldn't expect any kind of accuracy out of the Crosman, tin cans at 10 metres are about the best you could expect.

That said bb guns are excellent fun, but there is a lot better than that particular Crosman. That said the 1377, 2240 and 357 (or whatever the new version is called) are all great guns for nto a lot of money!
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Hi Mundo
    This is the first thing I've written on here for AGES! So bear with me if it's a bit incoherent…

First thing I'd do is have a word with the folk who run your range - some categorically will not allow BB/"semi-auto" style guns on their site. Some say it's for rebounds/safety/noise but if them's the rules them's the rules. There are bbs out there which will rebound less than others, like the ones you mentioned. I think there are also ones that are made of a material that means that they break up if they hit something hard (I'm sure there are those on here who know more than me and will be along shortly)

If you're looking for anything other than "tin can' accuracy @ 10m then it's pellet all the way - usually with rifled barrel. The choice then is do you go with something like the Umarex S&W CO2 revolver or one of the similar Crosman pistols or do you go with a single stroke pneumatic (SSP) like the Weihrauch HW40 or Gamo/Webley Alecto etc… After that things will start to get pricey.

If it's accuracy and you want and to get a feeling if pistol shooting is for you then, personally, I'd go for one of the SSP offerings you'll find them second hand at reasonable prices but something like the HW40 will not hang around if you decide it's not for you and you sell it on. If it's rip snorting plinking you're after and your range will allow it, then there are loads to go at!

Hope this is a helpful start to your pistol journey and a word of warning, the pistol habit is extremely addictive and in no time at all you'll be needing one for each day of the week, then month…

ATB
    Binker
    Mo brístí ar an tine.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I wouldn't expect any kind of accuracy out of the Crosman, tin cans at 10 metres are about the best you could expect.

That said bb guns are excellent fun, but there is a lot better than that particular Crosman. That said the 1377, 2240 and 357 (or whatever the new version is called) are all great guns for nto a lot of money!
    Ooooh, i'd forgotten about the 2240! I had one as well, very enjoyable it was too. You make a good point Blooregard there a few different set ups to go for that I missed out.

Cheers
    Mo brístí ar an tine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    If you want an accurate pistol, I'd avoid c02 like the plague. PCP, single stroke or multi stroke pneumatic are the way forward for accuracy.

That's what I can gather from the few c02 pistols I've tried. They kick too hard and take you off target!

The most comfortable one I tried was a revolver style pistol where you could cock the hammer and fire single shots.

It only grouped about 2p size groups though, where as my HW75 and previously my Webley Alecto could group under a 5p over 10 metres.
    Why avoid co2? My target pistol (FWB C10) is co2, my smith & wesson and benjimin sheriden eb17 are co2 and there is no recoil (kick) my c10 is capable of single hole groups (I'm not any more) the S&W is capable of very good groups (sub 2p size @10m) I also have a sig sauer p226 which does kick (blowback action) I used to have a crosman repeat air 1008, a umerex 1911, cp 99, Walther ppb (BB), I've had a go with a cp 88 and a crosman 357 and many others I've forgotten.
    The co2 pistol you had a go of must have been a blowback action, it's the only way they can kick.
    This should help http://co2airguns.net/Collection/index.htm
    On the co2 links page there is a huge amount of info
    Last edited by airgunnut; 08-12-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mundo View Post
    Hi Guys

Thinking of getting an air pistol for use at the range next year

Currently enjoying my Air Arms S400 rifle and can't see that changing, but wanted some more variety

Have seen a few reviews of the Crosman PFM16

Wondered if it is accurate enough as an entry level pistol target shooting gun, or is there something better out there

Also read about the copperhead BB pellets that reduce rebound which sounds interesting

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Hi mate, I can't comment on the crosman, as I have not had one, lol one of the few guns I've not had.
    But the H&N copper coated lead BB's also known as H&N smart shot, I can tell you they are quite good and certainly do what they say on the tin and minimize ricochets, I use them in a few of my guns.

ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Hi, have you considered the Beeman single stroke pistol,the HW 40 lookalike?nice trigger and about £70 ish??accurate too,cheap enough to find out if you like pistols or not.
    Crossman 2240 is pretty good too with an abundance of brass bling available!look pretty tasty too!!£.85. .22 only though.
    Got £250 to spare?the Baikal ssp 10 mtr match pistol,granted it aint pretty but its DAMN good.it would cost you hundreds to better it,if your good that is.
    Forget BBguns,pellets for accuracy and above all safety,RWS Hobby of course for price and quality .
    Don

Thanks for all the tips guys

I now have a few avenues to explore

Some good info here (apart from the "avoid CO2 like the plague bit" - that's nonsense.)

Thing to do is decide what MAIN use your pistol will have - then make your choice. 'Formal' precision target shooting at 10Mtrs/6 Yards means something quite different to pure 'fun' shooting and timed comps (like Police Pistol or IPAS) for instance.

There's a huge choice if pistols to look at, from reasonably cheap to outrageously expensive PCPs and a whole range of repro vintage guns. Be warned though - pistol shooting is seriously addictive!

Have a look at the UMAREX Boys Club competition site for an idea of the various 'classes' that people enter in at the monthly comps. I have a go at many of those. There's a link here >> http://ubccompetition.btck.co.uk

Above all, have fun
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Why avoid co2? My target pistol (FWB C10) is co2, my smith & wesson and benjimin sheriden eb17 are co2 and there is no recoil (kick) my c10 is capable of single hole groups (I'm not any more) the S&W is capable of very good groups (sub 2p size @10m) I also have a sig sauer p226 which does kick (blowback action) I used to have a crosman repeat air 1008, a umerex 1911, cp 99, Walther ppb (BB), I've had a go with a cp 88 and a crosman 357 and many others I've forgotten.
    The co2 pistol you had a go of must have been a blowback action, it's the only way they can kick.
    This should help http://co2airguns.net/Collection/index.htm
    On the co2 links page there is a huge amount of info
    Indeed Of course, the kick thing must be a nightmare for .22 RF pistol Olympic shooters Managing blowback actions is a matter of technique- I find my ASG CZ P-09 with a red dot perfectly capable of 5p sized groupings if I do my part.

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Indeed Of course, the kick thing must be a nightmare for .22 RF pistol Olympic shooters Managing blowback actions is a matter of technique- I find my ASG CZ P-09 with a red dot perfectly capable of 5p sized groupings if I do my part.
    I've got a .44 black powder pistol, .32 zylab patriot nitro muzzle loading pistol and a hw45, so I think I can handle the 'kick' of a blowback co2 pistol
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Have a look at the Lov 21. CO2, good trigger and well built for under £100.

I think I will go for the "fun shooter" approach

Some of the competition pistols are serious money, and I am happy enough with my competition results with my Air Arms S400

I must admit, the ones catching my eye are the Crosman Vigilante/357 or the Sig Sauer P226

Like I said, I think the fun route would be more appropriate at the moment

BTW anyone had any experience with attaching a holographic red dot sight to the Vigilante as I cannot seem to find out anywhere what the rail mount size is

I know the 357 has an 11mm one

Seen a nice holo sight with a red laser attached which looks neat and not too pricey

The Crosman 357 is a good accurate pistol, even with irons. Mentioning the Sig will probably get you crucified- there have been a few comments about their accuracy...but having not tried one, I'd not comment. You'd need to check that people aren't just regurgitating what they have read

I read a lot of tosh about the ASG CZ P-09- front sights falling off etc. Turned out to be a load of twaddle Set mine up with a red dot via a rail and it has shot perfectly. As someone will be along soon to tell you, it does not "lock back after the last shot" and neither does it have a "cut out ejector slot"...but being a .177 pellet shooter it can't lock back, neither does it need an ejector slot..as nothing is ejected Vis a vis the Sig I cannot comment, but it shoots well enough