Thread: Evolution of leather coats and pants

Evolution of leather coats and pants

Totally new to 10 meter shooting. Was watching competitions on UTube and was bewildered by the elaborate leather clothing used to I assume support the body. Just wonder why this was ever allowed? Seems so unnatural, and certainly changes the challenge of just shooting naturally?

You may be right - but it certainly helps us old-un's with back and neck problems to keep rifle shooting - without a good supportive jacket we would probably have to give up a lot sooner!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Its the premier class of Air rifle shooting, the match course is 60 shots men, 40 Ladies, the 10 at ten metres is 0.5 mm dia , and that ten is sub divided down into a further 10 electronicaly, so the top score is 10.9 for the perfect middle, only 0.05 further out is 10.8, going out to just nicking that 0.5 mm spot to scoring merely a 10.0!

Its certainly not easy, it is in fact an extremely difficult event, and the Jackets and Trousers (mostly canvas) are not new, and have been used for over 30 years, yes they do offer some support, but if the shooters technique is not perfect they make no difference. There are strict rules on the conformance of the kit so its the same for all competitors, so there is no unfair advantage. The equipment means that young people do not risk spinal damage and strains, and as Bob says it keeps oldies shooting longer. I know 70 year olds shooting to a good level who would have given up years ago with out the kit, and we have 15 year olds shooting to the highest level with out the risk of injury.

And if you don't want to do it, there are plenty of events with basic kit as well.

If you come to Bisley over the week end of Feb 24 - 26, you'll see several hundred enthusiasts competing in the British Airgun Champion ships, I shall be there coaching a team of youngsters, I would be happy to explain it all in detail and show you the kit, if you wish to see it drop me an e mail or PM.

Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for the explanation and invitation but I'm in the USA so it's a long trip!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Its popular in the States as well! And a US teenager, 16 year old Ginny Thresher won the ladies event at the Rio Olympics.

Have Fun and Good Shooting,

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?