Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana 470th or 440th

Diana 470th or 440th

The Diana thumbhole underlevers look lovely, but are a bit of a rarity on the used market.

They're puzzlingly expensive new.

Does anyone here have one and care to comment on whether they are worth the money in comparison with better known AA and HW competition?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    The Diana thumbhole underlevers look lovely, but are a bit of a rarity on the used market.

Does anyone here have one and care to comment on whether they are worth the money in comparison with better known AA and HW competition?
    Hiya mate,

I imported a 470 from Germany in .177 and it's a mega lump of shooting iron. It obviously came at German power spec and I have literally put it in the rack for another day. From what I can see it's just a tarted 460 Mag. On reflection I think I might have gone for the 440 as it's more carbine and perhaps balances better. But I think the 440 only comes in .22 whereas I wanted .177. I'm sorry I cannot comment on accuracy/ performance as it has literally gone over the chrono and thats that.

It also has the black coating on the action- I dont think it's parkerised but that may be the process? In any case it's not blued and that disappointed me a bit.

Sorry I cant be of much help.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Hiya mate,

I imported a 470 from Germany in .177 and it's a mega lump of shooting iron. It obviously came at German power spec and I have literally put it in the rack for another day. From what I can see it's just a tarted 460 Mag. On reflection I think I might have gone for the 440 as it's more carbine and perhaps balances better. But I think the 440 only comes in .22 whereas I wanted .177. I'm sorry I cannot comment on accuracy/ performance as it has literally gone over the chrono and thats that.

It also has the black coating on the action- I dont think it's parkerised but that may be the process? In any case it's not blued and that disappointed me a bit.

Sorry I cant be of much help.

Dave
    Cheers Dave

I didn't realise they painted them.

Diana call it a "matt glass bead blasted metal surface" http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.ph...097&height=686

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post

Remember the 470 is a magnum, here you can see it being used
    http://raneair.webs.com/apps/videos/...-22-dian-470th

The 440 is for UK power but would probably want a tune if comparing with the TX, The Diana underlevers are robust and have a one piece compression tube

My all time favourite air rifle is my 48 Black Pro. This has the glass bead blasted finish. Love the finish on it. It's well tough. My next Diana will come with the same metalwork without a doubt.

Don't have one, but Diana's importer over here for at least the last ten years asked silly money for everything in the line, the silliest being for the top of the range models. For example, when they introduced the 34 break barrel in (from memory) 1984, it cost about £60 as opposed to at least £100 for an HW80. Whereas now they are both priced more closely.

There is now a new importer, and that may be changing.

But it is still a big lump of wedge, compared to what you get from an HW77/97, TX variant, or Umarex "Walther" for similar or less money.

You may get a very good rifle, but I am not persuaded you get value for money.

Aye, that was the problem in a nutshell. But things are moving in the right direction as you say. 34s can be had for around £250 and I've seen the 470th listed at £475 which is a lot less than it was a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Aye, that was the problem in a nutshell. But things are moving in the right direction as you say. 34s can be had for around £250 and I've seen the 470th listed at £475 which is a lot less than it was a year or so ago.
    Which are both steps in the right direction (IIRC the THs were until recently more like £600 or more).

But you are still getting a huge nearly four foot long cannon that is designed to make 20-24 foot-pounds that has been fairly crudely de-tuned to get under 12.

Not me. I'd go for the 440. Or more likely the 430. Which I'd expect to be a sort of underlever 280.
    I once had a 46 which I didn't get on with.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Don't have one,

But it is still a big lump of wedge, compared to what you get from an HW77/9 and 7, TX variant, or Umarex "Walther" for similar or less money.

You may get a very good rifle, but I am not persuaded you get value for money.
    Can you explain what you would get that is better from a 77/97 ?

If you compare say a 430L it has a robust no side to side movement cocking lever with spring disk washer shims a robust cocking link that wont brake and crack like the HW a rotating piston and a proper quite ABT plus as I have already mentioned a one piece compression tube

The only advantage that the LGU has is the plastic rings and stuff so it is smooth out of the box but the Diana is a better platform.

also the 430L only weighs 7.9 lbs, so it might be a idea to study of the Diana underlever action and then decide if its value for money in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Can you explain what you would get that is better from a 77/97 ?

If you compare say a 430L it has a robust no side to side movement cocking lever with spring disk washer shims a robust cocking link that wont brake and crack like the HW a rotating piston and a proper quite ABT plus as I have already mentioned a one piece compression tube

The only advantage that the LGU has is the plastic rings and stuff so it is smooth out of the box but the Diana is a better platform.

also the 430L only weighs 7.9 lbs, so it might be a idea to study of the Diana underlever action and then decide if its value for money in comparison
    As we have debated before, I like Dianas, and own about a dozen of them. I'm just unhappy that recently they have been poor value.

A 77 gives me:

- the most accurate and forgiving (tuned) springer I have ever owned;
    - either the best or the second best trigger available in a springer;
    - a wide range of tuning options, through drop-in kits to V Mach custom;
    - the rifle that dominated FT from its introduction until the PCPS took over.

So anything else has a pretty high bar to meet or exceed.

As we have debated before, I like Dianas, and own about a dozen of them. I'm just unhappy that recently they have been poor value.

A 77 gives me:

I respect your opinion ofcourse
    But it is more opinion than fact, what I was trying to point out was some distinguishing features and perhaps debate them as I part of answering the original post questions
    My opinion is that the TX take's some beating in the medium power class but it would be interesting to see how a tuned 440 got on if used in FT .
    But the 470 is something different AA/HW and walther have nothing like it to compare.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

A 77 gives me:

And this is one of the reasons why people need to start trying and buying other interesting makes that are just as good, I don't deny that HW's are superb rifles and if I'm totally honest (and this pains me to to admit this) but I'm finding it hard to part with my Wonkied 95 (but if I get the right price or rifle for it then it will happily go) BUT I'm bored with it now and also fed up with nearly every other thread on her being HW this and HW that, so being someone who's never liked the norm, I'm going to be on the look out for something different soon, now like most things in life, do you stick with boring and reliable (German BMW's and Audi's) or adventure out into the unknown and buy something a bit risky that could pertentially bite you on the arse (Alfa Romeo and Fiat) but you won't be running with the pack anymore, I'm not saying that the Diana will cause any problems but it's just the availability of parts like custom stocks etc (where HW's have everything catered for) Tuning kits won't be a problem anymore as people like Tinbum will happily sort you out one way or another.

People need to break the mould.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The man has mentioned that he owns at least 12 examples of at least one interesting make.
    And given valid reasons why he considers his HW77 THE underlever.
    To compare the merits of the standard designs, you would have to put a standard 430l or 440 up against its Air Arms and HW competitors. You could of course tune everything to death and end up with a completely different performing version of them all.
    But I agree with the general point: not enough people are even considering a Diana.