Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to buy a new HW35e and need advice about calibre.

I'm about to buy a new HW35e and need advice about calibre.

I have recently bought a new HW99s in 22, to replace one I have regretted selling, and I am very happy with it. Of course it galls but I will be sorting that in due course, and probably putting in a spring kit, although, to be honest it's accurate enough as it is. Needs degreasing and relubing though.

This purchase has rekindled my interest in Weihrauch springers in general, and in particular for the HW35E that I have lusted after for many years. Tinbum would undoubtedly agree with me that this gun constitutes retro chic at its finest.

Problem is calibre. I have grown to love 22 in springers, but already have the HW99s in this calibre. Should I try the HW35 in 177 for the sake of variety and run it at about 10fpe, or go for the easier option of 22 which will probably give me the most pleasant shooting experience. I don't hunt or take part in competitions. I just like to shoot informally.

As for place of purchase, I have two options: direct from Germany at 6fpe, for 250 quid and 12 fpe spring kit to take it up to 10-10.5fpe, for another 40-50 quid, or buy it at UK power level from Sportsman Gun Centre for 290 plus RFD fee.

Ordering it from a local retailer would almost certainly work out more expensive and I'd probably have to wait about 8 weeks minimum for HC to get one. Don't fancy that.

So, what would you do? And which calibre would you go for? I'm thinking 22 for peace of mind, and a nice 4x32 scope in low mounts for the low comb of this classic gun. I am also tempted to buy in 12fpe. OK, it will probably be rough from the box, but at least I will be able to shoot it for a while before investing in a spring kit. I know that Schneider are very reliable, but I have never bought from Sportsman Gun Centre before. Can anyone recommend them?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    .22 is better! The thinner barrel walls are easier to melt down to make your festive, santa shaped door-stop!

(All springers are nicer in .22 imo)

SGC are very good, like official imports but with the proper spring.��
    God rest ye jelly mental men

When a friend of mine made enquiries with HC re. 35e 's a few months back he was informed there was stock in the country. It was only the version with the muzzle brake that was a special order from Germany and at a hefty premium. The price of the standard 35e was reasonable if I recall correctly but can't remember what it was.
    If I can get hold of him I will report back on cost.
    Personally, I would not be against a .177 version although .22 is usually better mannered out the box as you know.
    Last edited by Drew451; 09-12-2016 at 09:12 PM. Reason: My spelling is horrendous

He's deleted the email from Hull but reckons the version with open sights was £369 rrp. I think this is about the same as an HW80 and those can be had for a fair bit less from some official dealers. May not mean they'll discount the 35e by a similar amount though.
    I always fancied putting a Weihrauch diopter on a 35e, if i could get hold of one. Good luck with your purchase.

All my springers are in .22, BECAUSE THERE NICER

Thanks for the replies, and a special thanks to Nick for his input.

22 it will be, and the Sportsmans G C option looks like the best bet. Considering the weak pound.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I too have a thing for .22" in springers, though I have allowed some .177"s to sneak through the door. And a .20".

Why buy a new one when you can buy a good old one for less, and get a better gun?

Hi Arthur,

I tried the .177 springer route as an experiment and never use it; always go to the .22 springers.

The retailer you mention has been good for me; just make sure the gun is new and boxed. They occasionally have some second hand and ex display stuff for sale in the shops. I've had no problems with changing a gun if it didn't suit.

c.

I shoot both cals and like both cals. Get a 35 in both cals

It is extremely satisfying to get a .177 springer shooting as well as a good .22.
    Anyone prepared to do work /get work done should consider the smaller calibre .

This whole .22 springer thing is bollocks. Although I have absolutely no proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    This whole .22 springer thing is bollocks. Although I have absolutely no proof of that.

I once knew a man who thought he was allergic to dogs, so he bought a cat.

Cats are shit and kill your sparrows!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I once knew a man who thought he was allergic to dogs, so he bought a cat.

Cats are shit and kill your sparrows!
    I'm hoping I can learn something from this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I'm hoping I can learn something from this post...
    If you do, please let me know. It made no sense to me, and I'm at the mulled wine!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If you do, please let me know. It made no sense to me, and I'm at the mulled wine!
    And there was me thinking you were being shamanic.