Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw50?

Hw50?

A lot of you say the HW99S is brilliant, and a lot of you seem also to like the HW30S.

So, what about the HW50? Good, bad, indifferent, irrelevant?

Genuinely interested, not teasing the 99 fan club.

Wondering how the 50 compares to the all-time mid-size super-springers like the Diana 25 and 27.

50 is the 99 .just called 99 in uk .

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    50 is the 99 .just called 99 in uk .
    ^^
    Yep.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    So, no difference whatsoever ??? But.... Why 50 and 99 ? Curious beginner
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Hi I have a old 80s hw50 its identical to look at of the hw35e I have here but just smaller. To be honest I picked it up as a sweetener on a deal I done with some gear I bought. It's a lovely small gun and light gun, I did wonder why not many of these were out there as back then the hw80 and 77 would have been a bit heavy for some people and youngsters. Just think it may have filled a possible gap in the market.

Not really sure why, Pauly.

Maybe, just maybe, they wanted to distance the rifle from the old HW50, which was an altogether slightly smaller, lower-powered rifle? And the old ones were lovely. 8.5ft.lbs-ish. Screw in end block. Still want one! New ones lovely, too, by the way.

But then why distance the new from the older rifle in name for the UK alone?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

It depends if you mean the early 50s & 50 as opposed to the modern 50 & 50s.

In the UK we have the 99s which is the same as the European HW50s though in Germany there are a few more options of this model.The "S" means it has the Rekord trigger fitted.

Only God and a few Germans know why....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Genuinely interested, not teasing the 99 fan club.
    ...thought I converted you ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    ...thought I converted you ?
    Yes, you did. Just have to wait for a nice older one to come along, without the ghastly cosmetics of the current ones.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yes, you did. Just have to wait for a nice older one to come along, without the ghastly cosmetics of the current ones.
    Yeah, the current fashion for lettering cut into the stocks is especially unnattractive...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It's not the only thing I am not keen on about current HWs.

Slightly kicking myself for forgetting that the 50 is the same as the 99 in the same way that the 85 and 95 are now the same rifle.

Those earlier 50s sound quite interesting too - a sort of baby 35?

Slightly kicking myself for forgetting that the 50 is the same as the 99 in the same way that the 85 and 95 are now the same rifle.

Does our pal Walter not have them more akin to the 55?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Does our pal Walter not have them more akin to the 55?
    Yep, rings a bell does that (!), so like a 55 but with a slimmer, more "sporter" stock and without the manual barrel latch?

Re the naming of the newer 50/99..... I guess the USA will be the largest market? And I wonder if the choice of number has anything to do with certain numbers being a little "taboo" out there?

I remember a certain Ducati a few years ago having to be renamed, as the number on the fairing which related to the correct engine cc was also a tax form in the 'States. Can't remember which one it was now, though!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I could be shot down here, by not refreshing myself of the facts - but IIRC the HW50V was the first HW airgun made. So the '50 as a model, certainly has some history about it.