Thread: Is there any demand for old Anschutz stocks?

Is there any demand for old Anschutz stocks?

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting an Anschutz 54, I think it's a 1514 model but I'm not sure. It's currently for sale in my local rfd, it's a right handed stock but I'm left handed so I thought that perhaps if there was a market for these stocks then I could sell it and then buy/make a left handed stock. It also has aperture type sights which I'd sell too.

Does anyone know if the stocks are worth anything? It is quite nice as it has an adjustable cheek piece and adjustable butt with a hook.

Thanks,
    Danny.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

Yes, you can often sell on Match 54 stocks. The basic shape of the action hasn't changed, and the bedding bolts are still the same as in 1954. However depending on what model yours is, some fettling may be needed around the trigger; the housing became quite a bit larger after 1977 (16-- guns), so a post-77 barrel would not drop straight into a pre-77 stock, but an older barrel would go into a newer stock.

I don't think yours is a 1514. 15 is only used for Match 64 sporting rifles. The match series are: 14--, 16--, 18--, and 19--. There is a 20--series, but the receiver is larger than the Match 54, square based, and has four bedding bolts. A Match 54 with an adjustable cheekpiece sounds like a 1970s vintage 1413, or a 1411 with a retro-fit hook. The 1413 has a thumbhole stock, the 1411 does not. It could be a 1409 or 1410, but these were not common at all. The rifle could be a 1613/11 instead.

As you're planning to shoot from a bipod, the RH bolt shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. From prone shooting with a sling it would be; Anschutz made extra long "reach-over/under" handles to permit loading in position, before they started making true LH actions in 1980.
    Last edited by tim s; 10-12-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    Yes, you can often sell on Match 54 stocks. The basic shape of the action hasn't changed, and the bedding bolts are still the same as in 1954. However depending on what model yours is, some fettling may be needed around the trigger; the housing became quite a bit larger after 1977 (16-- guns), so a post-77 barrel would not drop straight into a pre-77 stock, but an older barrel would go into a newer stock.

I don't think yours is a 1514. 15 is only used for Match 64 sporting rifles. The match series are: 14--, 16--, 18--, and 19--. There is a 20--series, but the receiver is larger than the Match 54, square based, and has four bedding bolts. A Match 54 with an adjustable cheekpiece sounds like a 1970s vintage 1413, or a 1411 with a retro-fit hook. The 1413 has a thumbhole stock, the 1411 does not. It could be a 1409 or 1410, but these were not common at all. The rifle could be a 1613/11 instead.

As you're planning to shoot from a bipod, the RH bolt shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. From prone shooting with a sling it would be; Anschutz made extra long "reach-over/under" handles to permit loading in position, before they started making true LH actions in 1980.
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply, yes you could well be right about the model of the rifle. If it is a 1413 (I think it may well be judging by images on google), what kind of ball park figure do you think I could expect for the stock? I know it's hard to gauge but the stock is in very good condition, such a shame it's not a leftie!

Thanks again!

Danny.

There's not an enormous market for stocks of this type or age. Say £50? Or maybe £100 if two people are after it. I am afraid that the butt hook doesn't really add to the value although having the adjustable length is useful. Interestingly I have seen a bit more interest in -11 series stocks as they quite good for benchrest.

The sights are an unknown quantity as there are many variations of Anschutz rear sight. I wouldn't buy any of the alloy body versions secondhand and the steel type would need to be tested on a DTI to ensure that they operate properly. Say 0 - £45, that includes the foresight which is probably worth little on its own.

Rutty

Danny,

That's a tricky question to answer. Really it's worth what someone will pay, however if you were to sell the butt and cheek piece hardware separately you should get over a hundred. I've seen stocks on sale for more than the cost of the original rifle., but given a 1413 is worth £300-£400, I'd say the stock us worth £200 tops, but others may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    There's not an enormous market for stocks of this type or age. Say £50? Or maybe £100 if two people are after it. I am afraid that the butt hook doesn't really add to the value although having the adjustable length is useful. Interestingly I have seen a bit more interest in -11 series stocks as they quite good for benchrest.

The sights are an unknown quantity as there are many variations of Anschutz rear sight. I wouldn't buy any of the alloy body versions secondhand and the steel type would need to be tested on a DTI to ensure that they operate properly. Say 0 - £45, that includes the foresight which is probably worth little on its own.

Rutty
    Thanks for your reply, good to have a general idea of what I can expect for it if I go ahead and buy it. My rfd wants £300 for the 54 in the nice stock with aperture sights and a collapsible spring loaded bench rest type bipod. He wants £100 for a 54 in a shabby stock. I'd go for the best actio out of the two but not sure which action is the best, I need to do a bit more research.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
    Thanks for your reply, good to have a general idea of what I can expect for it if I go ahead and buy it. My rfd wants £300 for the 54 in the nice stock with aperture sights and a collapsible spring loaded bench rest type bipod. He wants £100 for a 54 in a shabby stock. I'd go for the best actio out of the two but not sure which action is the best, I need to do a bit more research.

Thanks
    If both rifles are the older Match 54s with the all steel bolt handle, look the handle. The blue finish dulls with use, eventually wearing away; a silver handle has seen a lot of use. In 1978 Anschutz changed the handle, and the ball became plastic; easier to use, but it doesn't show wear.

To check the action itself a set of headspace gauges is useful. Otherwise, you have to go by the condition (which has deeper blind, fewer scratches, and less rust), and age (Anschutz serial numbers are pretty much sequential, so the higher the number, the newer the rifle).

That sprung bipod, might not be a BR type. If the legs are really short, like 4in or so, it's just a fancy bipod for sling shooters, and only meant for standing up the rifle.

Also on the early 54 actions the bolt only had one extractor claw .
    Regards
    James

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    If both rifles are the older Match 54s with the all steel bolt handle, look the handle. The blue finish dulls with use, eventually wearing away; a silver handle has seen a lot of use. In 1978 Anschutz changed the handle, and the ball became plastic; easier to use, but it doesn't show wear.

To check the action itself a set of headspace gauges is useful. Otherwise, you have to go by the condition (which has deeper blind, fewer scratches, and less rust), and age (Anschutz serial numbers are pretty much sequential, so the higher the number, the newer the rifle).

That sprung bipod, might not be a BR type. If the legs are really short, like 4in or so, it's just a fancy bipod for sling shooters, and only meant for standing up the rifle.
    Great info I'll have another look at both rifles, you're right about the bipod too it is only about 4" high, by the way what's a deeper blind?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Also on the early 54 actions the bolt only had one extractor claw .
    Regards
    James
    Thanks for the info I'll have a look at this too.

Danny.

Danny,

I'm not sure what a deep blind is, but a blinder is commonly used with aperture sights to mask your non-aiming eye, so it doesn't interfere with your aim.

In terms of aging a Match 54, yes early bolts had a single claw. A second was added in 1965 so extraction was 100% reliable. About this time the front of the receiver (over the barrel tenon) was dovetailed, like the back. 1950s models will be stamped Match 54 or Super Match 54. Around 1961 the four-digit model number was introduced, and barrels would be stamped Anschutz 1411 or 1409 for example. Anschutz went back to a generic Anschutz Model Match 54 stamp for all models around 1966, and kept this until 1980.