Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple or three Theoben rammer questions?

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

A couple or three Theoben rammer questions?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the earlier Theoben Sirocco barrels are choked? and are they still to be avoided in .177 due to lively recoil.

Also are the triggers the same as the later ones or are the blades just different, I've been offered one but not sure if to go .177 (as that's the calibre I mainly shoot) or to go .22 as I've read that is the better calibre for rammers due to it's nicer shot cycle.

http://www.lomil.co.uk/Airguns/images/index.2.jpg

It's been a few years since I've shot one and both of those where .177 and didn't find them that harsh to shoot.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I think all of the barrels were choked.
    From the pics you show, the bottom-later- rifle has the Evolution trigger and the top one has the Webley trigger. Personally I found the Evolution trigger fine and better than the Webley.

As for .177 being harsher than .22 this is always the case whatever the type of power plant your rifle has! This cannot be avoided only improved but the difference between the calibres remain for a given state of tune.
    My experience is that the only .177 gas ram rifle which MAY give you an over-harsh shooting experience is the short .177 on the Fenman. That being said I have a Fenman with the 7.5" barrel and is is 'fast and fantastic'. I love it but accept that a 10" barrel is a 'safer' bet in .177.
    As a user rather than a collector I would go for the later model and with the 10" barrel you should find the firing cycle fine in .177. If you don't have experience with gas ram rifles then you will certainly find it 'snappy' when compared with a similar sized spring rifle such as a Weihrauch HW95. I like a really short lock time so love the gas ram but some shooters find them tricky to master.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Pax airguns produced a series of rifles in conjunction with Theoben to enable the use of their nylon jacketed pellets, called Prometheus and Titan Black, which could not be used effectively in a choked barrel. I am sure these rifles had some sort of identifying mark-and I am sure someone far more knowledgable than I will be along to advise
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Pax airguns produced a series of rifles in conjunction with Theoben to enable the use of their nylon jacketed pellets, called Prometheus and Titan Black, which could not be used effectively in a choked barrel. I am sure these rifles had some sort of identifying mark-and I am sure someone far more knowledgable than I will be along to advise
    You are right on that Graham. I think the special barrels are quite rare though. I've certainly never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I think all of the barrels were choked.
    From the pics you show, the bottom-later- rifle has the Evolution trigger and the top one has the Webley trigger. Personally I found the Evolution trigger fine and better than the Webley.

As for .177 being harsher than .22 this is always the case whatever the type of power plant your rifle has! This cannot be avoided only improved but the difference between the calibres remain for a given state of tune.
    My experience is that the only .177 gas ram rifle which MAY give you an over-harsh shooting experience is the short .177 on the Fenman. That being said I have a Fenman with the 7.5" barrel and is is 'fast and fantastic'. I love it but accept that a 10" barrel is a 'safer' bet in .177.
    As a user rather than a collector I would go for the later model and with the 10" barrel you should find the firing cycle fine in .177. If you don't have experience with gas ram rifles then you will certainly find it 'snappy' when compared with a similar sized spring rifle such as a Weihrauch HW95. I like a really short lock time so love the gas ram but some shooters find them tricky to master.
    Thanks for your reply Nick, I've had a .177 Fenman and a Sirocco 2000, I didn't find them unruly to shoot and actually find the snappy recoil fine, not sure how I'm going to find a rammer after shooting a highly tuned HW95?, interesting to know about the triggers, shame about the barrels being chocked.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Easily solved with some autosol polish to remove a choke if that's your wish

Quote Originally Posted by dave goodall View Post
    Easily solved with some autosol polish to remove a choke if that's your wish
    No I want to be able to shorten the barrel and if I chop the choke off. I'll loose accuracy.

Pete

Plenty lads have there chokes choked off mate as long as the crown is done right why would u loose accuracy. There's a bloke on the rapid forum becoming quite well known for sorting out theobens with the dreaded tight choke but think he's banned from here now but on the other big forum

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    No I want to be able to shorten the barrel and if I chop the choke off. I'll loose accuracy.

Pete
    I agree with Dave-not necessarily! Also be careful about chopping a barrel on a gas ram as the cocking effort can get a bit 'wearing' after a while.

As far as I know, all the factory barrels were choked. They used to make a big thing about it years ago. I never had a .177 that didn't try to knock your teeth out but the .20 and .22 were sweet.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

They did indeed, though like Rapidnick I wonder if they made more than one or two of them. A rather niche product.

Pete, how old is the one you are looking at? Theoben chopped and changed things every year or two.

For what it is worth, the very first Siroccos in 1982 used a Webley barrel. By 1984 they were still using Webley barrels, but also offered Anschutz ones as an option.

Hi Graham, I believe those barrels were marked as such on the breech top, I have a vague memory of it being stamped with a Prometheus style pellet, but I could be wrong.

Neil
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    They did indeed, though like Rapidnick I wonder if they made more than one or two of them. A rather niche product.

Pete, how old is the one you are looking at? Theoben chopped and changed things every year or two.

For what it is worth, the very first Siroccos in 1982 used a Webley barrel. By 1984 they were still using Webley barrels, but also offered Anschutz ones as an option.
    Not sure of the age, I've been offered two rifles one is an older .177 sirocco and I was offered a swap for my HW95 for a .22 Fenman, which although I've turned down, I'm wondering if I should swap with as it already has a short barrel but I'm also not sure about as it's .22, which I normally shoot .177 but as mentioned rammers seem to be better (the same as springers) in .22 but I've never shot a .22 rammer so couldn't really comment.

Pete

A .22 rammer is hell if a lot better to shoot tbh in my opinion my last one I turned down to Bang on 10ftlb and was real nice to shoot although it was the 10 inch barreled tanus not been a real good shooter of rammers or springers if I'm honest made a massive diffrence to my ability at 10 ftlb

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not sure of the age, I've been offered two rifles one is an older .177 sirocco and I was offered a swap for my HW95 for a .22 Fenman, which although I've turned down, I'm wondering if I should swap with as it already has a short barrel but I'm also not sure about as it's .22, which I normally shoot .177 but as mentioned rammers seem to be better (the same as springers) in .22 but I've never shot a .22 rammer so couldn't really comment.

Pete
    Any chance you can test-fire the Theobens? For one thing, they are marmite guns. For another, quite a few out there have been pumped up too high and damaged the piston seal and will give both low power and high recoil.

A good Fenman for a 95 is a decent swap. If it is a good Fenman.