Thread: Shotgun Loads

Shotgun Loads

I have some 12g brass cases and want to load them with an ounce of shot. I have some Pyrodex P. On the container it says fffg. Would this be too fine for a shotgun load.
    Thx.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    I have some 12g brass cases and want to load them with an ounce of shot. I have some Pyrodex P. On the container it says fffg. Would this be too fine for a shotgun load.
    Thx.
    Dick
    Pyrodex P is called P for a good reason. The P stands for pistol. With a grade of 4Fg, it is the fastest burning of all grades of Pyrodex.

I have data for loading 12g shotshells with Pyrodex, and it states categorically that the only grades to use are CTG [cartridge] RS [Rifle SHOTGUN] or Select.

If you only have P, then you are going to make yourself a bomb.

Page 746 of the Hodgdons Manual has the following data -

12 - 2 3/4" - 1 1/8th oz of shot - 72gr of any of the above plus wads, etc.

12 - 2 3/4" - 1 1/4 oz of shot - 68gr of any of the above plus wads etc.

12 - 2 3/4" - 1 1/2 oz of shot - 65gr of any of the above plus wads etc.

Bearing in mind that this data is quoted from the maker's own handbook, I'm confident that they are not telling porkies. However, IF you decide to use these data, I accept no responsibility for their use.

BTW, Hodgdon quite categorically state that NO Pyrodex loads of any kind should be used in a Damascus or Twist barreled shotgun.

You are strongly recommended to wash your barrels out the instant you stop shooting. Pyrodex IS extremely corrosive.

If you have not reloaded shotshells with Pyrodex before, then you must NOT compress the charge more than necessary to load the wads and shot and obtain a good crimp. Pyrodex does NOT like being compressed.

tac

Thanks for this.....much as I suspected.......I stick with nitro.