Thread: original model 5 owner help please

original model 5 owner help please

Could someone who owns the above please check their foresight post and tell me if it is absolutely vertical. Mine is angled back at 45 degrees and seems solid when trying to push up, making me think its meant to be like that? Its shooting high, so maybe it does need pushing vertical? Don't want to snap it by forcing, appreciate a response.
    thanks

Peddy,

Yup - they are angled back - the post seems to be stamped from the bottom of the tunnel.

I have a 1948 - 1952 wooden stocked Model 5, and at 6yards, it shoots about 4" high with the rear sight at its lowest setting.

I have pushed the post a bit to 'heighten' it, and got to ca. 3" high, but don't want to go any further as I am also worried about the post snapping off

I just do a very radical area aiming below the target black now !

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Peddy,

Yup - they are angled back - the post seems to be stamped from the bottom of the tunnel.

I have a 1948 - 1952 wooden stocked Model 5, and at 6yards, it shoots about 4" high with the rear sight at its lowest setting.

I have pushed the post a bit to 'heighten' it, and got to ca. 3" high, but don't want to go any further as I am also worried about the post snapping off

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ, mines a later one but will be the same except the stock, so best left alone. Don't fancy trying to source another foresight because its snapped. Am I right in thinking that if it was more vertical it would shoot lower?

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Peddy,

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Moving the rear sight in the direction you want the pellet to go (or in the opposite direction for the fore sight) this assumes the pellet is past the primary zero, when a pellet (or bullet) leaves the barrel it begins to rise then fall, as the pellet rises through the sight picture (at say 6 yards) this is called the secondary zero, as the pellet falls through the sight picture (at say 15 yards) this is called the primary zero (those of us that use telescopic sights are familiar with this) at 6 yards the pellet out of a pistol is still rising so I would try and move the rear sight in the oppersite direction to that you would think (on my hw 45 the rear sight is high to get it on target at 6m) as you have raised the fore sight you might have to raise the rear sight as high as it goes.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

airgunnut,

Nope - not for my Model 5 at 6yd

I have just shot three (3) five (5) shot groups at 6yd with my 1948 - 1952 Model 5.

The first was with sights as is (rear sight down as much as it can be).

For the second (No2), the rear sight was adjusted up ten (10) clicks, and for the third (No3), another ten (10) clicks up.

For No2, the MPI moved UP one inch. For No3, the MPI moved UP another inch.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Not for short ranges?

This seems to be common for the 5 models - I managed to move the foresights on both of my 5s until they were totally vertical, which helped, but they both shoot high still. I have put a red dot on one, as it has a scope rail, and had to shim the scope hugely. Even with new breech seals the POI is very high. The common idea is that they have been released while at full cock, allowing the barrel to snap up, and cause it to imperceptibly bend, along with the suggestion that they have 'soft' barrels that respond poorly to heavy-handed closure. I think there is more to it than that, as I reckon they are not for sub 10m shooting, but for 20m+.

Incidentally, I also have a pair of Original 6 that do not suffer from this problem, and work well at 10m target ranges, along with a 6M, which is the purpose built target pistol prior to the 10 coming out.

If you want to use a 5 at short range, perhaps a riser block at the front? I've not looked at this myself, but would be interested if anyone finds one to fit.