Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left eye dominant

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    I would disagree. There is no immediate need to use outriggers to mount the sights over the left eye when shooting right handed. I know several successful rifle shooters who are cross dominant. At least one cross dominant shooter has become an Olympic champion; Sergey Martynov of Belarus won the 50m Prone match in London with a World and Olympic record score. He shoots right hand and right eyed, but is left eye dominant. His left eye is covered with card, often an old RWS R50 box.
    I'd say that there are a lot of shooters who are cross dominant...

I remember having this conversation many years ago when pistol shooting. Of the 20 or so people asked, 8 were cross-dominant (including me, left eye, right hand).

I still shoot right handed, just close the left eye and rely on the right with a rifle, but with a pistol i move it more across my body to use the left eye.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Tim and Darryl are correct, as the vast majority of shooters of any standard use some form of blinder on the non aim eye cross dominance is no issue, just use a blinder as do 99% of non cross dominant shooters.
    The important issue is to have the correct rifle prescription lens including astigmatism on the aiming eye, long vision plus +0.5 and astigmatism correction, I have lost count of the number I've known who have many and varied but wrong lens, and then wonder why they can't shoot!

Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I shoot 10m pistol with cross dominance - right handed, left eye dominant.

It definitely puts extra strain on the neck muscles and other connective tissues to get your left eye aligned with the sights of a pistol that is in the right hand.

But I'm doing quite well and averaging 85+ after just over a year.

Thanks

Been shooting my steyr LG110 for about 3 years now in various competitions and I've been using a blinder (tried translucent and opaque) over the left eye for about two years. I feel I've given that a good go.

As an experiment I'm tempted to give shooting left handed a chance; perhaps I might discover some more accuracy (live in hope !) and in any case maybe the journey is worth taking. After swapping the rifle to a leftie set up for a few sessions it's been back to basics. Looking to shoot from a different set up is proving to be a challenge but may be informative.

I'm intending to buy a 22LR shortly and it would be useful to have a clearer idea if I'm going to be right or left handed when deciding what to get. As mentioned, there's more choice right handed in the used market. Looking at 1913's or perhaps KK500. I guess the sensible thing to do would be to get an adjustable/reversible stock and keep my options open.

Thanks for all the contributions so far, it's been really helpful...Cheers.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Sundance
    In Match air rifle and in smallbore the standard that you achieve is 99.9% down to technique, precision of all aspects, the hold, (stability), gaining a perfect zero, concentration and discipline, the cross dominance is irrelavent.

I can highly reccomend the KK500, my wife has one, although hers is in a Keppeler stock, it is a superb system,but the above still applies, no rifle will make you an expert.

Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Both Open

I have a slight Left eye dominance and normally acquire the target first with my right eye then open my left eye so both are open . With practice your brain will shut down the left eye view. I find trying to shoot with my left eye closed or with a blinder causes fatigue quickly