Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80s Air arms tap loading sidelevers...

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    be careful with tuning these. AA at that time had already done an absolute max job of homing in on 12 ftlbs because at that time it was almost essential and they did it in .177 as that had become a very fashionable caliber.
    I had the Woodsman variant in woodstock and 11 inch barrel.
    It was a good gun and my slight tweak with top hat put the thing into 13.5ftlbs territory requiring and imediate spring chop.
    I had a .22 version and 1 inch gps at 25 yds the norm.
    Same here in .177 with AA 7.89 pellets , I had to chop the spring

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Same here in .177 with AA 7.89 pellets , I had to chop the spring
    and one of the most underatted rifles for a springer sporter.
    I think maybe The HW35 and Feinwerkbau Sport put a lot of brands in the shade at that time but these AAs were very well built, more powerful than any HW35 and had lasting quality.
    The only problem with the Woodsma was the oil finish on the stock came off on the hands for a few weeks but i never had a thing go wrong with it. A great vermin tool and twice as good as the Webley Tracker i had.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    ..and twice as good as the Webley Tracker i had.
    That I defo agree with too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    That I defo agree with too
    you guys all seem to be in agreement regarding the tracker which probably pissed off everyone who owned one at one time or another.
    Heres a great comparison for future collectors.
    Trackers were initially advertised as 11ftlbs guns by Webley being improved and shortened Ospreys....nope, the piston head alteration turned the 8.2ftlb Osprey into a 9ftlb slammer. They increased stroke but had not balanced the mechainics and attempts to do so by the home tuner just added to the slam.
    I long suspected leaky taps and loose pellets in taps unless one splayed the skirts on the pellets.
    Thus as power plant efficiency increased, it just all got lost at the tap.
    Hence more slam.
    Webley had done fantastic work with the earlier MK3 tap but this gun and the earlier Osprey had nothing to do with a MK3 tap.
    The thing shot irratically, was hyper pellet sensitive and got more slammy as the usual tuning aids were added.

Enter the AA Woodman that it tried to copy.
    Perfectly aligned German manufactured taps which were tighter on pellets and sealing.
    A nicer cocking action and not at all slammy. Power was a true 11.7 ftlbs and required great care when slightly tuning.
    Accuracy typically half the group size of any Tracker.
    The nicest part of the TRacker was the stock of the walnut stocked version but that was about it.
    The tatty sight cover plate horrible.

I remember many moons ago my tracker as a kid and the best pellet for it was webley flying scot..but then they seemed to stop making them,or local gunshop stopped stocking them(pre internet days so couldnt search for them online)