Thread: Frame of mind

BigEars Guest

Frame of mind

Hi chaps has anyone got a link to preparing to get relaxed enough to shoot your best. I sometimes arrive with stuff on my mind and keeping a pistol steady is hard enough without intrusive thoughts.
    Thank for any help.

Try mindfulness. Its used in many types of sports.
    ATB,
    yana

Hi Alan,

Folks better than me could (I'm sure) write books about the psychological side of pistol shooting.

But some traditionally use a picture of the 'Elipson' sight picture to get their head into the right mode.

In the old days, you'd keep a picture in your wallet or shooting box, and look at it while preparing or waiting to shoot. Nowadays you could have the picture on your phone!

Trying to block out unwanted thoughts while you're actually on aim is (I suppose) a different matter, and perhaps, the better you're technique is 'trained-in', the more space there might be for distracting thoughts to creep in, like *I wonder what we're having for supper* ...

What I do while aiming, if everything seems good, is try to concentrate on one technical element... the thing I choose is *slack arse* (no sniggering at the back), and hopefully the trigger breaks, scoring a ten, while I'm considering my how unclenched my buttocks are... I said no bloody sniggering...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Hi Alan,

Folks better than me could (I'm sure) write books about the psychological side of pistol shooting.

But some traditionally use a picture of the 'Elipson' sight picture to get their head into the right mode.

In the old days, you'd keep a picture in your wallet or shooting box, and look at it while preparing or waiting to shoot. Nowadays you could have the picture on your phone!

Trying to block out unwanted thoughts while you're actually on aim is (I suppose) a different matter, and perhaps, the better you're technique is 'trained-in', the more space there might be for distracting thoughts to creep in, like *I wonder what we're having for supper* ...

What I do while aiming, if everything seems good, is try to concentrate on one technical element... the thing I choose is *slack arse* (no sniggering at the back), and hopefully the trigger breaks, scoring a ten, while I'm considering my how unclenched my buttocks are... I said no bloody sniggering...
    A good opportunity to practice with your "slack arse" technique at home would be to join the new MPL postal series - why wait until you go to the club?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Visualisation

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Try mindfulness. Its used in many types of sports.
    As above, with previsualisation of the desired result.

Repeated phrases or mental checklists might be useful. I go through a relax list from feet upwards.

Having said this, based on last weeks ignominious return to pistol shooting, it may well be completely useless advice so feel free to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    A good opportunity to practice with your "slack arse" technique at home would be to join the new MPL postal series - why wait until you go to the club?
    Hi Bob,
    Thanks. You're right, I should look at re-joining the league.
    I'll have to check if my MPL pistol still works!
    Hope you're feeling better.

ATB - Phil

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, I'm not sure if people shooting next to me with will thank you.
    I assume that this is a continuation of clenching your buttocks before speaking in public. Unwanted thoughts are definitely a problem, it's the brain's default mode for many people.
    I'll look out the sight picture and give it a whirl.

also lay off the caffeine and don't eat a heavy meal before hand. All of these play a factor.
    If you are already aiming for the exact center of everything, then the target’s size shouldn’t matter — the center of a beach ball is just as big as the center of an aspirin tablet. -Byron Ferguson