Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice - HW99 v Diana 280

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The ridiculous dog leg thingy induces inefficiancy and a softer shot cycle. I'm hoping to exploit both for a perfect .177 break barrel.

See that box? []

Here I am, thinking outside it!
    I'm no engineer but that makes sense. Indirect porting slowing down the airflow and offering damping to the piston.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I'm no engineer but that makes sense. Indirect porting slowing down the airflow and offering damping to the piston.
    Exactly! I'm hoping for fast piston travel coupled with a large, soft cushion of air producing a smooth 11fpe with very little work needed on piston weight or stroke. Time will tell, but some of the more extreme tunes are too harsh for my preference.

One of my favourite quotes from this years springer bashes was; "I know we don't want piston bounce, but it would be nice if it slowed down a bit before smashing into the end!"
    Last edited by tinbum; 21-12-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    What about a BSA or may be even a Gamo

Go on break the mould and kick sand in the face of the Germans.

The problem you may have is that you could pick up a shoddily built HW99 that could develop a galling problem or if you get a Gamo at least you know you're have a piece of shit from the very start

But at least your have a 25mm piston.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Sounds like the modern airgunning equivalent of the Austin All-Agro, Pete!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Exactly! I'm hoping for fast piston travel coupled with a large, soft cushion of air producing a smooth 11fpe with beey little work meeded om piston weight or stroke. Time will tell, but some of the more extreme tunes are too harsh for my preference.

One of my favourite quotes from this years springer bashes was; "I know we don't want piston bounce, but it would be nice if it slowed down a bit before smashing into the end!"
    This has been proven to work.. long thin ports (e.g. LGV) have soft cycles.

However, for it to work with higher port volumes, the piston needs to be lighter (although the 28mm bore of the Diana's helps soften landing when the ports are too big). NickG doesn't reduce the port volume on his TXs, but with the very light pistons he uses, it softens up just fine.

It will reduce efficiency a bit, but as we know, it's all about compromises.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    What about a BSA or may be even a Gamo

But at least your have a 25mm piston.

Pete
    My CFX with it's long thin port, sleaved down to 2.6mm, is shooting quite nicely now - but efficiency (see above post) is defo not great. Will bring it to the next bash.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have both rifles in .177. Both have been stripped and lubed etc. I think both are excellant rifles although I had a load of trouble with the galling issue on the 99s. The Diana trigger is easily as good if not better than the Weihrauch. Both rifles shoot smoothly and accurately with the right pellets. I would now lke to try the 280 in .22, but never see any advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times you say you've had no galling issues - It's still only you who's had no galling issues!
    Hi Phil

That's the one fly in the ointment, this galling issue. It seems a little hit and miss and knowing my luck I'll get the one that eats itself and blows up in my face.....

Mark

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I don't own a 280 but have owned a 34 for about 20 years and I fitted a tinbum drop in kit about a week ago and it now shoots even better
    The transfer port might be a bit of a compromise between efficiency and solid engineering a bit like the LGV, if you look at this diagram you can see what I mean

http://imgur.com/Aib1wPh
    but even if it is not efficient it works

My 34 is a T01 this means that it has a bit longer stroke than the T06 and was advertised as having a balanced piston, have a look at the two pistons

http://imgur.com/fUtNu52

Here is a pic of the HW and Diana hinge and lock up parts
    http://imgur.com/izOBpAH
    Last edited by Barryg; 21-12-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_WBA View Post
    Hello

Looking for a light weight springer... But I torn between these two.

What the general consensus on these.. Does anyone have any practical experience of either rifle

I'm used to carrying a HW80 around all day hence the need for a lighter option

Cheers

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I've owned x3 Diana 280's and over half a dozen HW99's over the years.

I've just recently bought a brand new HW99's again

I love both rifles and either of them in my book are both excellent rifles and they are one of my favourites.

I've had the 280 in full length and also x2 carbine versions one of which was Sandwell field sports tuned and to be honest it didn't feel that much different to the non tuned one I had.

Never had any issues with the Diana's and have no complaints.

The HW99's my first one was about 8/9 years ago when they weren't very en-vogue and dismissed by many often being overlooked.

The 99's was the first break barrel rifle I owned that made me grin the first time I shot one

I was addicted loved the weight and point-ability felt lovely to shoot and I have fond memories of it being my go to fun gun.

At that time I was also into medium and top end pcp rifles, club shooting and occasional hunting.

Whilst I never really took the 99 hunting with me due to having clinical pcp rifles in the collection the 99 was solely used as a plinking and fun setup and also backup should any pcp setup be out of action.

Over the years like most I've flitted around looking for something else from a springer and had so many it's a little

Some I've liked and some not so much you would be bored to death if I list all of them and positive and negatives so all I would say is if you get chance try them both and it would be ideal if you can have a session or two with them.

I've also never had any issues with any 99 either.

Personally the 99 just edges it for me over the 280 but I'm splitting hairs as like I say they both are one of my favourite rifles.

I had a full length 280 in 177 and it was very pointable and accurate.

But, Boy, was it a bugger to cock. After a few dozen shots my arm was hanging off.

It's a nice looking gun with an excellent trigger, but if I ever bought another, I would go for 22.

I have shot Big Dave's 34 Premium in 22, and that is a lovely rifle. It was great from the factory, and he tells me it is even better now with a Vmach kit in it.

I'm thinking the 34/31 series might be better than the 280 in 177, but that's just a guess.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Guys

As usual you've educated me.

Ive managed to use a couple of tricked up 99s last weekend, all of them seem to have had some work done to them to varying degrees.

It appears that I need to investigate the D31/34 or maybe the 340 models...

I like to to say thank you for all your Input its just a pity the 99 has this one issue that keeps recurring.

I'd also like to thank D Price (Wonky Donky) for his offer of a Diana 280 for comparison .. He has also extended this offer to anyone who wishes to use or compare HW99 / D280 and HW95... No doubt that'll crash his email service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    It doesn't matter how many times you say you've had no galling issues - It's still only you who's had no galling issues!
    I've not had any either

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_WBA View Post
    Guys

As usual you've educated me.

Ive managed to use a couple of tricked up 99s last weekend, all of them seem to have had some work done to them to varying degrees.

It appears that I need to investigate the D31/34 or maybe the 340 models...

I like to to say thank you for all your Input its just a pity the 99 has this one issue that keeps recurring.

I'd also like to thank D Price (Wonky Donky) for his offer of a Diana 280 for comparison .. He has also extended this offer to anyone who wishes to use or compare HW99 / D280 and HW95... No doubt that'll crash his email service.
    Has Dave given his personal verdict, or is he keeping mum?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I'd say Weihrauch are very remiss in churning out HW99s and HW30s with a design/ manufacturing fault which seriously affects the operation of the majority of new examples.
    I say that as someone who has owned a barrowload of both makes. But not a 99 as yet.
    Do you actually have any evidence to back that rather sweeping statement up? Especially when you then state that you've never owned one...