Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: History of the airsporter?

History of the airsporter?

Is there anywhere online that has the history of the airsporter with pictures of all the mks? I had one years ago and i am at the point where I would like one but unsure which mk i want to get!

good morning,the airgunspares website ownedby john knibbs has all/most bsa airgun models and dates,
    also its spares pages have nice technical drawings of the main models,all the best

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    Is there anywhere online that has the history of the airsporter with pictures of all the mks? I had one years ago and i am at the point where I would like one but unsure which mk i want to get!
    There are a number of big fans on here (including me) who have a mass of collective knowledge (excluding me), regarding the history of most guns. If you search "Airsporter" you'll come up with enough reading material to keep you going for a long time. Many of the threads/posts contain links to brochures and other material.

For pictures and other technical info, you can also go to Chamber's website.

However, if you want to save yourself a lot of agonising over which to get, just buy a decent, unmolested Mk1 or Mk2. You won't get a better Airsporter and you will have one of the nicest looking air rifles ever produced, not to mention the fastest reloading single shot springer ever.

P.S. I'm ever so slightly biased.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    There are a number of big fans on here (including me) who have a mass of collective knowledge (excluding me), regarding the history of most guns. If you search "Airsporter" you'll come up with enough reading material to keep you going for a long time. Many of the threads/posts contain links to brochures and other material.

For pictures and other technical info, you can also go to Chamber's website.

However, if you want to save yourself a lot of agonising over which to get, just buy a decent, unmolested Mk1 or Mk2. You won't get a better Airsporter and you will have one of the nicest looking air rifles ever produced, not to mention the fastest reloading single shot springer ever.

P.S. I'm ever so slightly biased.
    Hello,

I couldn't agree more with the above,especially the Mk1 /Mk 2 recommendation.

Regards
    Brian

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    BSA Airsporters summed up in one sentence !
    " The best Airsporter is the Mk. 1 followed by the Mk. 2 and the most accurate, were the RB2's at the end of the models production run but the most expensive new in 1982 and now secondhand is the Centenary, everything inbetween was not of the same quality apart from the "S" version" !

I've owed all at some time except the S and the Centenary, my personel favourite is the RB2 Carbine .22 !

IMO.
    “An airgun or two”………

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    B
    The best Airsporter is the Mk. 1 followed by the Mk. 2 and the most accurate, were the RB2's at the end of the models production run.
    I agree with that
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

They are the three Airsporter models to have and possibly the MK3,too due to its relative scarcity.

The rest are just junk!

Anyone who has a hankering for a later model Airsporter should by a Mercury instead then there's no need to worry about the misaligned and leaky taps!

Airsporter Mk1

Reading this thread has lead me to getting mine out of the wardrobe today. It's been ages since I've had it out of the case. Anyway, it's a Mk1, 0.22, serial number GA920 which dates it around 1955 if my memory serves me right.

There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask the experts on here about early Airsporters.

Firstly, mine has scope grooves but the absence of any etching leads me to think it's been re-blued at sometime as it's in quite nice condition for a 61yr old. Did they all have the etching on them? Mine has no stamping anywhere except the serial number near the trigger guard.

Next question, my stock does not have the "BSA" logo pressed into it, so does this suggest it's a Mk2 stock, as my old Mk2 didn't have it either, or was it that not all Mk1 stocks where marked? It is 3 piece walnut.

I've only owned it for a year or so and I got it locally here in Cornwall.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a reference book dedicated to post-war BSA air rifles similar to Chris Thrales excellent Webley publication. We have the John Knibbs BSA / Lincoln Jeffries book, but nothing substantial for the post-war products. There is some information in his Golden Century, but nothing much more than passing reference.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JACK RATT View Post
    Reading this thread has lead me to getting mine out of the wardrobe today. It's been ages since I've had it out of the case. Anyway, it's a Mk1, 0.22, serial number GA920 which dates it around 1955 if my memory serves me right.

There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask the experts on here about early Airsporters.

Firstly, mine has scope grooves but the absence of any etching leads me to think it's been re-blued at sometime as it's in quite nice condition for a 61yr old. Did they all have the etching on them? Mine has no stamping anywhere except the serial number near the trigger guard.

Next question, my stock does not have the "BSA" logo pressed into it, so does this suggest it's a Mk2 stock, as my old Mk2 didn't have it either, or was it that not all Mk1 stocks where marked? It is 3 piece walnut.

I've only owned it for a year or so and I got it locally here in Cornwall.
    As I said in my reply to the OP above, I'm no expert, but from what I've read it seems there were many 'crossover' guns using bits from two or more Marks, so the stock does not surprise me. I was not aware the Mk1 had scope grooves, though.

I would expect to see traces of etching if the bluing is in good condition, so does sound re-finished.

The sure fire way to I.D. a Mk1 seems to be the tapered barrel and non-flip up rearsight, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny that, shortly.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a reference book dedicated to post-war BSA air rifles similar to Chris Thrales excellent Webley publication. We have the John Knibbs BSA / Lincoln Jeffries book, but nothing substantial for the post-war products. There is some information in his Golden Century, but nothing much more than passing reference.

Brian
    That's a book I would buy.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    As I said in my reply to the OP above, I'm no expert, but from what I've read it seems there were many 'crossover' guns using bits from two or more Marks, so the stock does not surprise me. I was not aware the Mk1 had scope grooves, though.

I would expect to see traces of etching if the bluing is in good condition, so does sound re-finished.

The sure fire way to I.D. a Mk1 seems to be the tapered barrel and non-flip up rearsight, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny that, shortly.
    Yes, it has tapered barrel and non flip rear site and with the GA serial number I'm certain it is a Mk1 action. I'm not entirely sure about the stock though with the absence of the pressed in logo. Your "crossover" comment makes sense though. Thank you for your reply

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    They are the three Airsporter models to have and possibly the MK3,too due to its relative scarcity.

The rest are just junk!

Anyone who has a hankering for a later model Airsporter should by a Mercury instead then there's no need to worry about the misaligned and leaky taps!
    I don't think the rest are junk - just perhaps not as good as the Mk1 which most believed was never bettered. (including myself)
    The later 'S' Mks were good rifles as were the RBs.
    I like all my Airsporters - they are all different in one way or another.
    As has been said - get a good Mk1!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Brian
    Brian I just had a skim through my copy of Golden Century and you're right, there's very little on the Airsporters, which is a shame. But if you extracted all the mentions of immediate postwar BSAs, such as the Cadet/Major, Meteor, Club/Airsporter and Merlin, it would amount to a bit more than a passing reference - more like a very slim volume. It would be worth doing this to save a lot of irritation. My GC falls open at most of the airgun references although finding the part you want is very frustrating!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Brian I just had a skim through my copy of Golden Century and you're right, there's very little on the Airsporters, which is a shame. But if you extracted all the mentions of immediate postwar BSAs, such as the Cadet/Major, Meteor, Club/Airsporter and Merlin, it would amount to a bit more than a passing reference - more like a very slim volume. It would be worth doing this to save a lot of irritation. My GC falls open at most of the airgun references although finding the part you want is very frustrating!
    Hello Danny,

I know John Milewski wrote a couple of very informative features on the early Airsporters in AGW magazine, but even a slim volume spefically dedicated to post-war BSAs would be very welcome.

Brian