Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the airsporter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    They are the three Airsporter models to have and possibly the MK3,too due to its relative scarcity.

The rest are just junk!

Anyone who has a hankering for a later model Airsporter should by a Mercury instead then there's no need to worry about the misaligned and leaky taps!

Airsporter Mk1

Reading this thread has lead me to getting mine out of the wardrobe today. It's been ages since I've had it out of the case. Anyway, it's a Mk1, 0.22, serial number GA920 which dates it around 1955 if my memory serves me right.

There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask the experts on here about early Airsporters.

Firstly, mine has scope grooves but the absence of any etching leads me to think it's been re-blued at sometime as it's in quite nice condition for a 61yr old. Did they all have the etching on them? Mine has no stamping anywhere except the serial number near the trigger guard.

Next question, my stock does not have the "BSA" logo pressed into it, so does this suggest it's a Mk2 stock, as my old Mk2 didn't have it either, or was it that not all Mk1 stocks where marked? It is 3 piece walnut.

I've only owned it for a year or so and I got it locally here in Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by JACK RATT View Post
    Reading this thread has lead me to getting mine out of the wardrobe today. It's been ages since I've had it out of the case. Anyway, it's a Mk1, 0.22, serial number GA920 which dates it around 1955 if my memory serves me right.

There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask the experts on here about early Airsporters.

Firstly, mine has scope grooves but the absence of any etching leads me to think it's been re-blued at sometime as it's in quite nice condition for a 61yr old. Did they all have the etching on them? Mine has no stamping anywhere except the serial number near the trigger guard.

Next question, my stock does not have the "BSA" logo pressed into it, so does this suggest it's a Mk2 stock, as my old Mk2 didn't have it either, or was it that not all Mk1 stocks where marked? It is 3 piece walnut.

I've only owned it for a year or so and I got it locally here in Cornwall.
    As I said in my reply to the OP above, I'm no expert, but from what I've read it seems there were many 'crossover' guns using bits from two or more Marks, so the stock does not surprise me. I was not aware the Mk1 had scope grooves, though.

I would expect to see traces of etching if the bluing is in good condition, so does sound re-finished.

The sure fire way to I.D. a Mk1 seems to be the tapered barrel and non-flip up rearsight, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny that, shortly.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    As I said in my reply to the OP above, I'm no expert, but from what I've read it seems there were many 'crossover' guns using bits from two or more Marks, so the stock does not surprise me. I was not aware the Mk1 had scope grooves, though.

I would expect to see traces of etching if the bluing is in good condition, so does sound re-finished.

The sure fire way to I.D. a Mk1 seems to be the tapered barrel and non-flip up rearsight, but I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny that, shortly.
    Yes, it has tapered barrel and non flip rear site and with the GA serial number I'm certain it is a Mk1 action. I'm not entirely sure about the stock though with the absence of the pressed in logo. Your "crossover" comment makes sense though. Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by JACK RATT View Post
    Yes, it has tapered barrel and non flip rear site and with the GA serial number I'm certain it is a Mk1 action. I'm not entirely sure about the stock though with the absence of the pressed in logo. Your "crossover" comment makes sense though. Thank you for your reply
    Hi, Just to answer your question, yes the Mk1 did sometimes come in a non BSA stamped stock. My Dads 1958 GB Mk1 was bought new with a 3 piece non stamped stock.
    (This is contrary to opinions on here, but I know it has never been stripped or repaired from new when my Dad bought it).
    BASC

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Hi, Just to answer your question, yes the Mk1 did sometimes come in a non BSA stamped stock. My Dads 1958 GB Mk1 was bought new with a 3 piece non stamped stock.
    (This is contrary to opinions on here, but I know it has never been stripped or repaired from new when my Dad bought it).
    Yep have seen 3 piece non stamped and one piece non stamped SILE (in fact have never seen a stamped 1 piece), In fact have owned at least 4 non stamped MK 1's thinking back as far as I can recall.

ATB, Ed

Regarding the loading tap concerns, all revolvers essentially have the same arrangement, whereby the bullet has to jump the gap. The method(s) used in air guns to achieve the alignment do vary, but I think that provided an early airsporter is well maintained, there is no reason why accuracy should suffer.

I suppose the real question is what level of misalignment will significantly affect accuracy if all other factors such as trigger, shot to shot consistency, hold sensitivity, etc. etc., are removed?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a reference book dedicated to post-war BSA air rifles similar to Chris Thrales excellent Webley publication. We have the John Knibbs BSA / Lincoln Jeffries book, but nothing substantial for the post-war products. There is some information in his Golden Century, but nothing much more than passing reference.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a reference book dedicated to post-war BSA air rifles similar to Chris Thrales excellent Webley publication. We have the John Knibbs BSA / Lincoln Jeffries book, but nothing substantial for the post-war products. There is some information in his Golden Century, but nothing much more than passing reference.

Brian
    That's a book I would buy.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Brian
    Brian I just had a skim through my copy of Golden Century and you're right, there's very little on the Airsporters, which is a shame. But if you extracted all the mentions of immediate postwar BSAs, such as the Cadet/Major, Meteor, Club/Airsporter and Merlin, it would amount to a bit more than a passing reference - more like a very slim volume. It would be worth doing this to save a lot of irritation. My GC falls open at most of the airgun references although finding the part you want is very frustrating!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Brian I just had a skim through my copy of Golden Century and you're right, there's very little on the Airsporters, which is a shame. But if you extracted all the mentions of immediate postwar BSAs, such as the Cadet/Major, Meteor, Club/Airsporter and Merlin, it would amount to a bit more than a passing reference - more like a very slim volume. It would be worth doing this to save a lot of irritation. My GC falls open at most of the airgun references although finding the part you want is very frustrating!
    Hello Danny,

I know John Milewski wrote a couple of very informative features on the early Airsporters in AGW magazine, but even a slim volume spefically dedicated to post-war BSAs would be very welcome.

Brian

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, I think "junk" is a little strong for the others, but defo not so good. My MK6, with piston head conversion to a Diana parachute seal and a +5mm stroke as a result, is quite nice to shoot. Then again, it cost me £25 (well, plus a tenner for the seal), so great value
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Not all of them are "junk"

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...bine%20001.jpg

But do have to agree that the Mercury or Challenger is better.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    it does look really nice, but how does it shoot ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete

That is a beautiful example!

I was certainly not passing judgement on how they look,just how poorly the taps seal on too many of the later MK's.

That said,even on buying a MK1 or MK2 it is far better to the buy the gun in person to be sure the tap still seals adequately.

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 22-12-2016 at 03:38 AM.