Thread: Is the 223 & 22-250 bullet head the same ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post
    but the quality and real world results in MUCH better

just google for the amount of people with issues with 53gr
    I've honestly never had an issue with them and I've reloaded hundreds

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post

I have in my old .223 tikka T3 lite 1-12", they would keyhole in that. Although they where not reloads but factory superformance 53grn ammo. I changed to federal premium 40grn and never looked back, but they where £29 a box 5 years ago .

My Tikka lite has the worst grouping of all the amo iv'e tried with factory Hornady 53g v-max, yet with home loaded Hornady 53g v-max its very good in accuracy and knock down power, i have tried seating the factory bullets deeper but it doesn't seem to make any difference, maybe the fasted speeds of the factory rounds just doesn't suit my rifle.

As for the faster 40g amo in 223, i can say from first hand experience there is more fox runners than there is with 50g-55g bullets, and i'm even talking about correct shot placement for heart/lungs.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

As for the faster 40g amo in 223, i can say from first hand experience there is more fox runners than there is with 50g-55g bullets, and i'm even talking about correct shot placement for heart/lungs.

I don't know why you would have that experience Dave because it certainly wasn't mine with the federal premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post

I don't know why you would have that experience Dave because it certainly wasn't mine with the federal premiums.
    I tried a box of Hornady 40g v-max, and a box of Federal 40g BT v-shok, both accurate but there was a more noticeable amount of fox runners, the impact noise was also reduced.
    I'm not suggesting that 39/40g bullets in 204r is like this because i don't know.
    At the end of the day you have to use what you have confidence in, for me its 50g-55g v-max type bullets.

Isn't there a minimum of 50g bullets in certain calibers for deer, there must be some reason for this.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

50grain for muntjac Dave.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    I tried a box of Hornady 40g v-max, and a box of Federal 40g BT v-shok, both accurate but there was a more noticeable amount of fox runners, the impact noise was also reduced.
    I'm not suggesting that 39/40g bullets in 204r is like this because i don't know.
    At the end of the day you have to use what you have confidence in, for me its 50g-55g v-max type bullets.

Isn't there a minimum of 50g bullets in certain calibers for deer, there must be some reason for this.

Dave (warbucks)

Sounds to me like it's time you got yourself over to your local gunshop and ordered/bought a new rifle. Get rid of the confidence sapping .223 and buy either 22.250 or .243, if bigger is better then either of those will cure your problem.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Sounds to me like it's time you got yourself over to your local gunshop and ordered/bought a new rifle. Get rid of the confidence sapping .223 and buy either 22.250 or .243, if bigger is better then either of those will cure your problem.
    Accuracy NOT power kills....Buying a bigger more powerful rifle won't solve diddly squat IMO,
    6mm BR, Lawton Action ,Kreiger BarreL lazzeroni thumbhole Stock, Jewel Trigger, 6.5-24x50 Zeiss/drone prox10, tikka t3 super varmnt.223 vortex viper HST 6-24x50, /drone prox10, cz .22lr

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post

I agree, i have also known several runners after boiler room shots with 39grn Blitzkings from a 20BR.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Thats great
    plenty have
    just search on here or other forums or wider

as for .20 call vs .22

it has nothing to do with drop and everything to do with wind calls when shooting sub 50gr out past 250yds
    1" better elevation at 300yds isnt going to save on a wet windy night on the moors