Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the 223 & 22-250 bullet head the same ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    I've honestly never had an issue with them and I've reloaded hundreds

I have in my old .223 tikka T3 lite 1-12", they would keyhole in that. Although they where not reloads but factory superformance 53grn ammo. I changed to federal premium 40grn and never looked back, but they where £29 a box 5 years ago .

My Tikka lite has the worst grouping of all the amo iv'e tried with factory Hornady 53g v-max, yet with home loaded Hornady 53g v-max its very good in accuracy and knock down power, i have tried seating the factory bullets deeper but it doesn't seem to make any difference, maybe the fasted speeds of the factory rounds just doesn't suit my rifle.

As for the faster 40g amo in 223, i can say from first hand experience there is more fox runners than there is with 50g-55g bullets, and i'm even talking about correct shot placement for heart/lungs.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

As for the faster 40g amo in 223, i can say from first hand experience there is more fox runners than there is with 50g-55g bullets, and i'm even talking about correct shot placement for heart/lungs.

I don't know why you would have that experience Dave because it certainly wasn't mine with the federal premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post

I agree, i have also known several runners after boiler room shots with 39grn Blitzkings from a 20BR.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    I've honestly never had an issue with them and I've reloaded hundreds
    Thats great
    plenty have
    just search on here or other forums or wider

as for .20 call vs .22

it has nothing to do with drop and everything to do with wind calls when shooting sub 50gr out past 250yds
    1" better elevation at 300yds isnt going to save on a wet windy night on the moors

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post

I don't know why you would have that experience Dave because it certainly wasn't mine with the federal premiums.
    I tried a box of Hornady 40g v-max, and a box of Federal 40g BT v-shok, both accurate but there was a more noticeable amount of fox runners, the impact noise was also reduced.
    I'm not suggesting that 39/40g bullets in 204r is like this because i don't know.
    At the end of the day you have to use what you have confidence in, for me its 50g-55g v-max type bullets.

Isn't there a minimum of 50g bullets in certain calibers for deer, there must be some reason for this.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22

50grain for muntjac Dave.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

I tried a box of Hornady 40g v-max, and a box of Federal 40g BT v-shok, both accurate but there was a more noticeable amount of fox runners, the impact noise was also reduced.
    I'm not suggesting that 39/40g bullets in 204r is like this because i don't know.
    At the end of the day you have to use what you have confidence in, for me its 50g-55g v-max type bullets.

Isn't there a minimum of 50g bullets in certain calibers for deer, there must be some reason for this.

Dave (warbucks)

Sounds to me like it's time you got yourself over to your local gunshop and ordered/bought a new rifle. Get rid of the confidence sapping .223 and buy either 22.250 or .243, if bigger is better then either of those will cure your problem.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Sounds to me like it's time you got yourself over to your local gunshop and ordered/bought a new rifle. Get rid of the confidence sapping .223 and buy either 22.250 or .243, if bigger is better then either of those will cure your problem.
    Accuracy NOT power kills....Buying a bigger more powerful rifle won't solve diddly squat IMO,
    6mm BR, Lawton Action ,Kreiger BarreL lazzeroni thumbhole Stock, Jewel Trigger, 6.5-24x50 Zeiss/drone prox10, tikka t3 super varmnt.223 vortex viper HST 6-24x50, /drone prox10, cz .22lr

In my case here i am talking about shooting foxes at night with n/v so cannot dial in, and 80% of the time it has to be taken off shooting sticks.
    I was thinking on the lines than a 22-250 zeroed at 250-260 yds with the n/v being 2.6" above the bore that i would have a point blank range of around 280-290 yds using 50/53g bullets doing 3,800 fps ?.

Ive done over 500 foxes since ive owned the 223, bullet wise what iv'e found is ballistic tips of 50g-55g have stopped foxes a lot better than 40g bullets, iv'e tried Federal 40g bt's and Hornady 40g bt's and there was clearly a higher percentage of runners with both of these's, ( with good shot placement), got to say that the Hornady 53g v-max home loads seem to be "amongst" the best so far.

Dave (warbucks)
    Correct me if im wrong but I thought the idea of using night vision was you could get closer to the target because your not waving a lamp about and giving your position away, so why would you need to be taking foxes out from so far away .

Quote Originally Posted by no bull View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but I thought the idea of using night vision was you could get closer to the target because your not waving a lamp about and giving your position away, so why would you need to be taking foxes out from so far away .
    Well yes in general this is correct, but it doesn't always work like this.
    I shot 265 foxes with the 223 last year, what's left are the one's that's survived or new one's moving in, of the 30 foxes that ive shot so far this year only two have come in to the remote caller, so its either bait-n-wait, or walking them down.
    A typical night foxing for me is 30 miles to get there, 40-50 miles driving round several permission from 9pm -4am, and 30 mile back home, these remaining foxes are wise, when a vehicle stops they are looking in that direction, some times the I/R from the n/v is enough for the to run, in general they are operating at the end of the fields the furthest from the only access road, this can be 500-600 yds, some times i can walk them down, some times they leg it, then at the moment i haven't got a range finder that works in the dark, last week i walked a fox down to what i thought was around 200 yds i got it wrong and the shot went low, it was probably further than 240 yds?, last thursday night went out with "optima silk " off here, spotted a heat source with his thermal coming out of the woods, it was a fox, 323 yds, started to walk it down using a line of tree's so it din't see us, re checked it when we had walked around 120 yds, it had gone, IMO we hadn't done anything wrong, it just didn't spend much time in the field before it moved on--------that foxing for you.

I'm not saying the 223 isnt a good foxing gun, what i am saying is if i didn't already have this, knowing what i know now, i would have gone for the 22-250 or 243 as both of these's will give another 50-60 yd pbr over the 223 and in the 243's case have around the same knock down power at 250 yds, as the 223 has at 100 yds and less effected by wind.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22

.22-250 is superior

The .223 is a great fox gun as you have found - however it does not allow you to modify it in any way - The .22-250 is a more accurate load especially when loading your own - Full Stop... however too damned loud in certain circumstances and the moderator (at least mine) is not that great. No problem on a winters night but a still summers evening and you will hear it for a couple of miles! With the amount of rounds you are shooting though it will need an inch chopping off the barrel and re-threading/crowning every couple of years as it will wear the end of the rifling.

However with the .22-250 you can modify your loads and drop down to exactly the same spec as the .223 for those quiet nights with no wind and close to occupation - result two rifles in one.... plenty of info online as to how to reload a .22-250 for a lighter load. For those of you who don't reload of course shop bought rounds do not give you this option. Keep the rounds marked with a paint mark on the brass and pick whichever you need for the job.

I am not a fan of night vision optics as they have no place in hunting animals IMHO and does not teach you any fieldcraft - there we are that will have upset a few.....

Well yes in general this is correct, but it doesn't always work like this.
    I shot 265 foxes with the 223 last year, what's left are the one's that's survived or new one's moving in, of the 30 foxes that ive shot so far this year only two have come in to the remote caller, so its either bait-n-wait, or walking them down.
    A typical night foxing for me is 30 miles to get there, 40-50 miles driving round several permission from 9pm -4am, and 30 mile back home, these remaining foxes are wise, when a vehicle stops they are looking in that direction, some times the I/R from the n/v is enough for the to run, in general they are operating at the end of the fields the furthest from the only access road, this can be 500-600 yds, some times i can walk them down, some times they leg it, then at the moment i haven't got a range finder that works in the dark, last week i walked a fox down to what i thought was around 200 yds i got it wrong and the shot went low, it was probably further than 240 yds?, last thursday night went out with "optima silk " off here, spotted a heat source with his thermal coming out of the woods, it was a fox, 323 yds, started to walk it down using a line of tree's so it din't see us, re checked it when we had walked around 120 yds, it had gone, IMO we hadn't done anything wrong, it just didn't spend much time in the field before it moved on--------that foxing for you.

I'm not saying the 223 isnt a good foxing gun, what i am saying is if i didn't already have this, knowing what i know now, i would have gone for the 22-250 or 243 as both of these's will give another 50-60 yd pbr over the 223 and in the 243's case have around the same knock down power at 250 yds, as the 223 has at 100 yds and less effected by wind.

Dave (warbucks)
    how about invest in a rangefinder that works at night? I have a NV spotter with built in ranging, and Boydy47 has one that clips to the scope and also can be used in pitch black.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    how about invest in a rangefinder that works at night? I have a NV spotter with built in ranging, and Boydy47 has one that clips to the scope and also can be used in pitch black.
    Yes mate has one of "Splatty's" on his new 243, used in conjunction with his Drone Pro, they are good.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22

I am not a fan of night vision optics as they have no place in hunting animals IMHO and does not teach you any fieldcraft - there we are that will have upset a few.....

I doubt very much it will upset anyone on here, but it rather shows your ignorance on the matter.