Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seals in the Hubertus pistol

Seals in the Hubertus pistol

Just received a old Hubertus pistol with seals gone. Was there only a leather seal on the front of the piston (that's what I thought I saw on a picture of one) or were there others? Thanks
    Last edited by 45flint; 23-12-2016 at 01:11 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi yes they were just leather seals, l made one to reseal one of mine from some leather off cuts that l bought off *bay.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    There are just the two leather seals, one on the barrel seating and one on the piston. They are in the form of cylindrical bands so could be tricky to make, so any info' from Micky2 would be invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    There are just the two leather seals, one on the barrel seating and one on the piston. They are in the form of cylindrical bands so could be tricky to make, so any info' from Micky2 would be invaluable.
    I thought the barrel assembly had a place for a leather band. That really helps confirm my thoughts. I knew the piston needed one. These are interesting and well made pistols. Neat project. Thanks much

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I thought the barrel assembly had a place for a leather band. That really helps confirm my thoughts. I knew the piston needed one. These are interesting and well made pistols. Neat project. Thanks much
    Hi,

I'm sure you are aware that the pistol was made in both small and large frame versions before the war. A very well made pistol, but what a performance to make it ready for firing.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    lf memory serves me well, it was a long time ago. l cut a washer out the same size as the air chamber then punched a hole through the centre the same size as the centre of the old washer there abouts, then l just cut through the washer in one place with a sharp blade so that l could replace it. not quite the ideal fix but it did work which is more than it did before. hope it helps, but they are pea shooter power.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    As I recall the depths of the grooves that take the leather bands are quite wide and very shallow, so cutting a solid band washer would need some very thick leather and some tricky cutting . One way to make suitable band might be to use a strip of thin leather wrapped within the groove and the ends pared thin, overlapped and glued together in situ with E6000 glue.

I have found that commercial E6000 (available off the Bay) will stick leather like nothing else, the leather will tear before the bond breaks. It is a slightly flexible polyurethane, and it is used commercially by jewellers to stick precious stones into rings etc. , which shows how reliable it has to be.

You guys are amazingly helpful. Hope to show a finished project sometime this winter.

I am reliably informed that the smaller framed pistol had a fibre/felt washer and one of my old mates has some new/old stock kicking around, if anybody needs one, pm me and I will forward your request.

There is a lot of information on making leather washers on the web, and it is one of those jobs that is easier than you think and satisfying to have done.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...r-piston-seal/

I don't think this is the post I followed, (IIRC I was fixing a tilly lamp not an air pistol) but it looks pretty much the method I found somewhere including the socket bodge. Small adjustments can be made in the thickness of the leather etc, and some experimenting might be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    There is a lot of information on making leather washers on the web, and it is one of those jobs that is easier than you think and satisfying to have done.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...r-piston-seal/

I don't think this is the post I followed, (IIRC I was fixing a tilly lamp not an air pistol) but it looks pretty much the method I found somewhere including the socket bodge. Small adjustments can be made in the thickness of the leather etc, and some experimenting might be needed.
    Thanks that will be useful if I have a "normal" leather seal to replace. The Hubertus is different, not a plunger type seal but groove in the piston where a flat leather gaskets seals. Kind of like a car piston ring only much wider. To me this will be easier to make, no form to shape just flat leather. We will see.

Got it stripped down. Piston seal looks ok, need the barrel seal. You can see the cylinder shaped piece with the groove attached to the barrel where seal should be. I'll make a flat leather seal for it. Such a strange pistol. Very simple to break down and little tension on the spring to worry about.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps3iedqxgh.jpg

Update:
    Just made leather seal for the barrel and installed using E6000 glue;

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psatskbykl.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-12-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Fixed and working

Last edited by 45flint; 27-12-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Hi glad you got it working again, nice old pistols and nothing else like it in terms of cocking loading ect.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi glad you got it working again, nice old pistols and nothing else like it in terms of cocking loading ect.
    My first airgun repair, was a lot of fun, E6000 glue was a great tip, strong yet flexible. Have a old Crosman 102 arriving today that needs a reseal, this may have given me courage to try that myself.