Thread: A nice and cheap way into PCP ? DayState PH6 Review

A nice and cheap way into PCP ? DayState PH6 Review

Haven’t seen many of these reviewed (if any) and it is my 1st loaner to the channel.

Nice and cheap way into PCP Air Gunning with a good brand. Accurate, but has it’s flaws.

So here is my latest review video with warts and all discussions on the DayState PH6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-2cbiJCFo

Hopefully my video presentation skills are slowly getting better.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

Nice review of a classic rifle. From memory the PH6 magazine system was available on both Hunstman MK2 and Harrier models, this one being a Harrier. I think that the Harrier version was more popular as the Huntsman weighed about 8.5lbs in single shot form. The PH6 version was about 8oz heavier which would have been a very heavy rifle once scoped. The Harrier was about 7.5lb in standard form so was more manageable in the PH6 version. I remember trying a PH6 Harrier years ago but much prefer the single shot versions, although if I could get one for £200 I would jump on it as Daystates on this era were very solidly made and reliable guns.

Quote Originally Posted by IanSea View Post
    Nice review of a classic rifle. From memory the PH6 magazine system was available on both Hunstman MK2 and Harrier models, this one being a Harrier. I think that the Harrier version was more popular as the Huntsman weighed about 8.5lbs in single shot form. The PH6 version was about 8oz heavier which would have been a very heavy rifle once scoped. The Harrier was about 7.5lb in standard form so was more manageable in the PH6 version. I remember trying a PH6 Harrier years ago but much prefer the single shot versions, although if I could get one for £200 I would jump on it as Daystates on this era were very solidly made and reliable guns.
    I read about these whilst researching the PH6 and they sound interesting.
    Definitely the PH6 with a scope and bipod is a very heavy beast, but great for static shooting. I would not want to be lugging one around the fields / farm all day.

This is my 1st real experience (more than playing) with DayState and I am impressed. Even with this early model, it just screams quality and style.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

They were certainly solidly made rifles but no heavier than many springers. If you wanted a light rifle Daystate had the Mirage which at 4.5lbs was the lightest pcp around at the time. I had a go with one once and was very taken with it. Only trouble was the price which was around the £500 mark, a lot of money for a single shot pcp. Watching your review made me nostalgic for my old Harrier,which has been on loan to a workmate for a few years, so I'm planning to get it back. The only issue I had with the review was you calling it an "early Daystate" when it was made about 20 years after they brought out their first pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by IanSea View Post
    They were certainly solidly made rifles but no heavier than many springers. If you wanted a light rifle Daystate had the Mirage which at 4.5lbs was the lightest pcp around at the time. I had a go with one once and was very taken with it. Only trouble was the price which was around the £500 mark, a lot of money for a single shot pcp. Watching your review made me nostalgic for my old Harrier,which has been on loan to a workmate for a few years, so I'm planning to get it back. The only issue I had with the review was you calling it an "early Daystate" when it was made about 20 years after they brought out their first pcp.
    Thanks, i loved doing the review on the rifle, it was a cracking piece of kit. My knowledge of DayStates is limited, so thanks for the additional information.

The rifle you have looks to be a PH6SE the standard PH6 has a different style stock in beech, also it has a barrel band on the front of the cylinder the silencer fits on the barrel and overhangs the cylinder. The SE cylinders were satin silver with the bolt housing and muzzel brake/silencers in satin black. I think that the SE stock was designed for Daystate by Garry Cane and were often made from some nice grained walnut , a very nice looking rifle i have one myself.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Nice elegant stock, unlike the awful things they put on Daystates now.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

All the harriers had decent stocks I had about Five or six from the Camo to the Se and they were good guns ! Lolled at the Missing safety catch and grub screw though we all had those in the day
    Dodgy nowadays though I reckon

Great idea reviewing an older rifle and a very good video, although I was concerned at one point that your head was on fire.

Ph6

Nice review. Certainly nothing wrong with an older rifle though obviousley people have their preferences.
    After all, manynew rifles were raved about when they came onto the market.
    BorderBorder

ph6

great guns had, had a Harrier version in.177 when they first came out, this was my first PCP, used it for about 6/7 years for pest control on a local golf course, never missed a beat never touched a screw on it it was so reliable, then whim for a change and sold it, before I sold it I borrowed a mates chrono to see what it was doing power wise, what a surprise it was doing just under 10ftlb, but I have shot bugs at over 40yds, but it was so accurate that 40yds was not a problem for it all about accuracy and that little gun had it.
    MK1 7/12 14" CZ barrel. , Dustin mod.Kevg reg. Bb valve , titanium tube, bushy legend. MK2 177,Kevg reg.silent pip,MK4 trigger,Bucketboy shroud.ssg spring, Nikon monarch