Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Original 75

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Wanted Original 75

Just in case you guys don't read the Collectors forum I'll repeat on here, those regulars will remember I have pestered this forum over the last 5 years in an effort to find my wife's old Original 75, it was probably the first one into the UK, she used it Internationally and won medals with it as a member of the GB ladies squad, it was extensively modded, and very small and distinctive, and for the sake of nostalgia she would like it back.

OK, after 5 years and searches in all directions, I have now given up, and decided to build a replica. So I'm now looking for an early model, right hand, Original 75, fixed non adjustable cheek piece, with the "open" style trigger guard, i.e. there is a gap behind the trigger guard between the guard and the pistol grip.

It can be as rough as old boots, as it will be cut and modified as was the original, can be non working, but must be complete, and with the original sights. Any thing out there? I will recognise the suitable candidate for surgery when I see it.

And yes I know as soon as I start it (or even complete it!) that the original one will turn up!

Happy new year,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

hi i have a 75 in mint condition but left handed 375 no offers
    RIPLEY AR5 STAINLESS 10-50-60 FT RIG
    HW97 V MACH BUSHNELL BIG NIKKO HOP
    EV2 Warren Edwards stock big nikko .

I'm looking for a RIGHT handed, and it must be an early model, fixed cheek, open trigger guard, and grip.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin, I have the gun you are looking for. Original 75 fixed right hand cheek piece, nothing behind the trigger guard.

I bought it from Dave Mercer (DM80) after he had stripped and rebuilt it. Dave is a top gunsmith and an expert on the Giss system. It is in very nice condition for its age and shoots well. Blueing is clean (I haven't found any rust) and the stock has no blemishes that stand out - just the odd mark and a little chip here and there. Certainly nothing to make me want to spend money refinishing it. Dave also added a Gehmann iris sight to the end of the Diana sight mount.

The barrel doesn't like medium weight R10 and velocity is low with them. I have a feeling that it shoots better with R10 pistol ammo. I can't remember off hand. It certainly pushes out close to 6fpe with JSB and AA medium weight domed pellets. Don't know about H&N and Hobby.

I bought it about twelve months ago on here, hoping to take up 10m in my old age. Unfortunately I have left it too late. I am not weedy by any means but I am no longer fit enough to manage it; I have back problems and my eyesight isn't good enough for open sights. So I have only shot it a couple of times in my house, and once at Atherton Indoor Range, mainly from the bench, and it has spent most of its time in my Brattonsound metal cabinet wiped down with Napier airgun oil.

Dave sold it to me for 250 quid and I considered that a bargain, having seen the sort of prices retailers ask. If I sell, it will be at the same price. Don't worry if you aren't interested. I'm not desperate for the money and, in some ways don't really want to part with such an attractive classic.

If you are prepared to wait until the weekend my eldest daughter can take photos of it and I will post them on here. Then you can decide. I'll also put some pellets over the chrono and let you know what it is doing. It is a lovely gun and a pleasure to hold and look at, but it needs to be shot be somebody more capable than me.

It would be a pity though to start butchering it. Possibly not what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 16-01-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Robin, I have the gun you are looking for. Original 75 fixed right hand cheek piece, nothing behind the trigger guard.

I bought it from Dave Mercer (DM80) after he had stripped and rebuilt it. Dave is a top gunsmith and an expert on the Giss system. It is in very nice condition for its age and shoots well. Blueing is clean (I haven't found any rust) and the stock has no blemishes that stand out - just the odd mark and a little chip here and there. Certainly nothing to make me want to spend money refinishing it. Dave also added a Gehmann iris sight to the end of the Diana sight mount.

The barrel doesn't like medium weight R10 and velocity is low with them. I have a feeling that it shoots better with R10 pistol ammo. I can't remember off hand. It certainly pushes out close to 6fpe with JSB and AA medium weight domed pellets. Don't know about H&N and Hobby.

I bought it about twelve months ago on here, hoping to take up 10m in my old age. Unfortunately I have left it too late. I am not weedy by any means but I am no longer fit enough to manage it; I have back problems and my eyesight isn't good enough for open sights. So I have only shot it a couple of times in my house, and once at Atherton Indoor Range, mainly from the bench, and it has spent most of its time in my Brattonsound metal cabinet wiped down with Napier airgun oil.

Dave sold it to me for 250 quid and I considered that a bargain, having seen the sort of prices retailers ask. If I sell, it will be at the same price. Don't worry if you aren't interested. I'm not desperate for the money and, in some ways don't really want to part with such an attractive classic.

If you are prepared to wait until the weekend my eldest daughter can take photos of it and I will post them on here. Then you can decide. I'll also put some pellets over the chrono and let you know what it is doing. It is a lovely gun and a pleasure to hold and look at, but it needs to be shot be somebody more capable than me.

It would be a pity though to start butchering it. Possibly not what you are looking for.
    I would like to buy this gun if Robin does not want it .

I'll bear that in mind.

Will post pictures at the weekend.

Please be informed that the 250 pounds will be the collected price. This is a heavy gun and will cost anther 20 to post, at the buyer's expense. Plus with parcel force it will only be insured for 100.

Personally I would take the risk, but there are those who wouldn't.
    Arthur

Thanks Arthur,

That sounds very interesting, I would like to see some pics, either on here or direct to me by email, and that's a very fair offer which I much appreciate. When I see the pics I won't mess about, I'll make a yay or nay very quickly.

Thanks again
    Robin

No problem Robin.

Pics by the weekend.
    Arthur

Original 75

Hi Arthur, if the other deals fall through I would love this! I'm in Bolton & can collect at asking price,
    John.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Fine.

I'll post the pictures on here, and then put the advert in Sales, stating that three people will be given first, second and third refusal.
    Arthur

Apologies for the delay. I forgot that my eldest daughter was going to Poland this weekend on the office trip.

She's back now and says she will take some photos for me during the week.

In the meantime I have put the gun through the chrono with several different pellets in five shot strings and these are the results:

It doesn't care for R10 rifle 8.2grn. The 4.49 head sizes produced an average velocity of 471.2fps for 4.04 fpe and a spread of 11 fps.

4.50 head sized velocities were even lower at just under 3fpe.

R10 7grn match pistol pellets were a distinct improvement:

4.49 head size gave average velocity of 572.6fps with a 13fps spread for 5.1 fpe.

4.50 head size average velocity was 589.6 with 16fps spread and a power of 5.4 fpe.

So better with 7 grn pellets, although it didn't like Hobbies which produced 3.53 fpe only.

Strangely the barrel seemed to like medium and lightweight domed pellets very much:

Air Arms Field (8.4 grn, 4.52 head size) = Average velocity 552.2 Spread 18fps Power 5.69 ftlbs.

JSB Exact (8.44 grn, 4.52 head size) = Velocity 525 fps Spread 19fps Power 5.18 ftlbs.

JSB Express (7.87 grn 4.52 head) =Velocity 570.4 fps Spread 9fps Power 5.69 ftlbs.

JSB RS (7.33 grn 4.52 head) = Velocity 594.4 Spread 16fps Power 5.75 ftlbs

These were five shot strings and the barrel was not cleaned between pellets. The gun has hardly been shot by me, and it may be that with greater use, the velocity spread will reduce and overall velocity increase with some pellets.

I wasn't able to try H&N pellets, because I don't have any.

Clearly though the gun seems to be happy with JSB pellets and RWS match pistol weight pellets. I don't know if JSB do a match pellet.

Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 23-01-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Arthur

Very interesting post. Although a non starter for match shooting I also found that JSB Exact came within a hairs breadth of R10 Rifle 4.49 for accuracy in my 75 . Mine does prefer 8.2 gn over 7.0 gn pellets and R10 over Meisterkugeln.
    I think JSB produce wadcutters but I have not tried them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Apologies for the delay. I forgot that my eldest daughter was going to Poland this weekend on the office trip.

She's back now and says she will take some photos for me during the week.

In the meantime I have put the gun through the chrono with several different pellets in five shot strings and these are the results:

It doesn't care for R10 rifle 8.2grn. The 4.49 head sizes produced an average velocity of 471.2fps for 4.04 fpe and a spread of 11 fps.

4.50 head sized velocities were even lower at just under 3fpe.

R10 7grn match pistol pellets were a distinct improvement:

4.49 head size gave average velocity of 572.6fps with a 13fps spread for 5.1 fpe.

4.50 head size average velocity was 589.6 with 16fps spread and a power of 5.4 fpe.

So better with 7 grn pellets, although it didn't like Hobbies which produced 3.53 fpe only.

Strangely the barrel seemed to like medium and lightweight domed pellets very much:

Air Arms Field (8.4 grn, 4.52 head size) = Average velocity 552.2 Spread 18fps Power 5.69 ftlbs.

JSB Exact (8.44 grn, 4.52 head size) = Velocity 525 fps Spread 19fps Power 5.18 ftlbs.

JSB Express (7.87 grn 4.52 head) =Velocity 570.4 fps Spread 9fps Power 5.69 ftlbs.

JSB RS (7.33 grn 4.52 head) = Velocity 594.4 Spread 16fps Power 5.75 ftlbs

These were five shot strings and the barrel was not cleaned between pellets. The gun has hardly been shot by me, and it may be that with greater use, the velocity spread will reduce and overall velocity increase with some pellets.

I wasn't able to try H&N pellets, because I don't have any.

Clearly though the gun seems to be happy with JSB pellets and RWS match pistol weight pellets. I don't know if JSB do a match pellet.

Pictures to follow.
    I wonder if ROBIN C can recognize this gun from the chrono readings.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Afraid not Ian, I appreciate the effort, but I have more interest in paint drying than chono figures, but there is clearly nothing wrong with it which is all that matters, and I'm sure it will be accurate.

Arthur, does it have the black nylon spacer between the stock and the but plate?

Robin

Can't remember off hand Robin.

I'll check when I get home.

The rubber butt pad is certainly offset to the left though.

It's comfortable in the shoulder.
    Arthur