Thread: Quickload Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quickload Help

Popped into the local gunshop today for some Vhit 133 and they didn't have any. Picked up a partially used tub (approx 20rns used) of 135 for £50 so thought I'd give it a whirl.

Would anyone be able to help me save a few rounds and establish a good optimum charge weight to start with using 53gr V-Max? Max charge weight would also be useful to know

I'm using a standard 223 Tikka T3 Varmint, CCI BR4 primers and new lapua brass. I'll use the same COAL as before which is 2.285"

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I'll hopefully be buying Quickload myself soon. One of my local RFD's introduced me to it briefly and it seemed great with Vhit 133

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Popped into the local gunshop today for some Vhit 133 and they didn't have any. Picked up a partially used tub (approx 20rns used) of 135 for £50 so thought I'd give it a whirl.

Would anyone be able to help me save a few rounds and establish a good optimum charge weight to start with using 53gr V-Max? Max charge weight would also be useful to know

I'm using a standard 223 Tikka T3 Varmint, CCI BR4 primers and new lapua brass. I'll use the same COAL as before which is 2.285"

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I'll hopefully be buying Quickload myself soon. One of my local RFD's introduced me to it briefly and it seemed great with Vhit 133
    have you thought about looking at the makers guide manual?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Yeah, I've got the basic info but I found that Quickload narrowed it down quite a bit more when I was shown it. In fact, it found the perfect load almost straight away. Need to invest in it myself

In that case you won't be interested to know that the online manual does not list a 53gr bullet, but only a 52gr bullet, and that the starting load is 23.8gr and top load is 25.6gr, right?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    In that case you won't be interested to know that the online manual does not list a 53gr bullet, but only a 52gr bullet, and that the starting load is 23.8gr and top load is 25.6gr, right?

tac
    Yeah, that's what the Vhit online manual states. Using the 52gr bullets as a guide shouldn't be too far off but I'll probably go through 50 rounds before narrowing it down to the good charge weight 'band'.

I was hoping that someone with Quickload could shorten the process for me

https://youtu.be/8ppH7HHREWk

Thought this link was very interesting.

Could there be Niche in the market if your local RFD had Quickload and was to charge for the usage of it?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    have you thought about looking at the makers guide manual?
    What the manuals don't take into consideration is the fact that most brands of brass have different internal capacity. The likes of Lapua has more capacity than say, Hornady, so a specified load in a manual might be 3,000psi down when used in a Lapua case. I find QL invaluable, but as stated, you can only confirm accuracy on the range of in the field. There is no substitute for trigger time.

Jonathan.

Internal case volume from the same manufacturer can also vary greatly. Even from the same bag of brass!

QuickLoad was an interesting toy, it that's it. Theoretical that itself stated continually that all actual loadings should be verified with manufacturers published data. Novelty soon wore off and thankfully was able to move it on quickly for close to what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What the manuals don't take into consideration is the fact that most brands of brass have different internal capacity. The likes of Lapua has more capacity than say, Hornady, so a specified load in a manual might be 3,000psi down when used in a Lapua case. I find QL invaluable, but as stated, you can only confirm accuracy on the range of in the field. There is no substitute for trigger time.

Jonathan.
    This. ^^^

tac

Jonathan.
    sorry I thought that would be self obvious? Quickload suffers in the same way as even if you measure the water volume of the case ,the chamber is still an unknown, I personally think some people overthink the whole thing and that for them the purpose of the exercise is theoretical results as opposed to real life results, that said, there is nothing wrong with that approach if its what rocks your boat.
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    sorry I thought that would be self obvious? Quickload suffers in the same way as even if you measure the water volume of the case ,the chamber is still an unknown, I personally think some people overthink the whole thing and that for them the purpose of the exercise is theoretical results as opposed to real life results, that said, there is nothing wrong with that approach if its what rocks your boat.
    How can the chamber be an unknown? The chamber will either be cut to SAAMI or CIP specs. There will be minimal differences between chambers, and not enough to make a discernible difference in case capacity. The biggest difference will without a doubt be in the internal capacity of the case.

I don't think it's a case of 'overthinking' or 'what rocks your boat' as reloading for precision shooting is all about the accumulation of all the small details making a difference. Some people may not care about going from, say 0.6moa to 0.3moa group size, but there are those that do, and as I said, it's the small detail that is the difference.

Jonathan.

How can the chamber be an unknown? The chamber will either be cut to SAAMI or CIP specs. There will be minimal differences between chambers, and not enough to make a discernible difference in case capacity. The biggest difference will without a doubt be in the internal capacity of the case.

I don't think it's a case of 'overthinking' or 'what rocks your boat' as reloading for precision shooting is all about the accumulation of all the small details making a difference. Some people may not care about going from, say 0.6moa to 0.3moa group size, but there are those that do, and as I said, it's the small detail that is the difference.

Jonathan.
    the chamber isn't that different? in that case my .308 homeloads would work in Boydy47's .308 ? even though he has pressure signs 2-3 grns before I do!
    if you decided to use a high load based on Quickload you may fall foul of a tight chamber, the old way of working a load up is the way forward, the OP was trying to short circuit part of that process,
    I just believe in this case that a manual is as good a way to decide on a starting point as any.
    As to prescision shooting, its not for me, I shoot mainly off of sticks or a ruck, or the roof of a truck at fast moving targets after having my ribs and kidneys asaulted by the terrain! minute of rabbit works for me