Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: Quickload Help

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Northern Ireland.
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    sorry I thought that would be self obvious? Quickload suffers in the same way as even if you measure the water volume of the case ,the chamber is still an unknown, I personally think some people overthink the whole thing and that for them the purpose of the exercise is theoretical results as opposed to real life results, that said, there is nothing wrong with that approach if its what rocks your boat.
    How can the chamber be an unknown? The chamber will either be cut to SAAMI or CIP specs. There will be minimal differences between chambers, and not enough to make a discernible difference in case capacity. The biggest difference will without a doubt be in the internal capacity of the case.

    I don't think it's a case of 'overthinking' or 'what rocks your boat' as reloading for precision shooting is all about the accumulation of all the small details making a difference. Some people may not care about going from, say 0.6moa to 0.3moa group size, but there are those that do, and as I said, it's the small detail that is the difference.

    Jonathan.
    BASC Member

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How can the chamber be an unknown? The chamber will either be cut to SAAMI or CIP specs. There will be minimal differences between chambers, and not enough to make a discernible difference in case capacity. The biggest difference will without a doubt be in the internal capacity of the case.

    I don't think it's a case of 'overthinking' or 'what rocks your boat' as reloading for precision shooting is all about the accumulation of all the small details making a difference. Some people may not care about going from, say 0.6moa to 0.3moa group size, but there are those that do, and as I said, it's the small detail that is the difference.

    Jonathan.
    the chamber isn't that different? in that case my .308 homeloads would work in Boydy47's .308 ? even though he has pressure signs 2-3 grns before I do!
    if you decided to use a high load based on Quickload you may fall foul of a tight chamber, the old way of working a load up is the way forward, the OP was trying to short circuit part of that process,
    I just believe in this case that a manual is as good a way to decide on a starting point as any.
    As to prescision shooting, its not for me, I shoot mainly off of sticks or a ruck, or the roof of a truck at fast moving targets after having my ribs and kidneys asaulted by the terrain! minute of rabbit works for me
    Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Northern Ireland.
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    the chamber isn't that different? in that case my .308 homeloads would work in Boydy47's .308 ? even though he has pressure signs 2-3 grns before I do!
    if you decided to use a high load based on Quickload you may fall foul of a tight chamber, the old way of working a load up is the way forward, the OP was trying to short circuit part of that process,
    I just believe in this case that a manual is as good a way to decide on a starting point as any.
    As to prescision shooting, its not for me, I shoot mainly off of sticks or a ruck, or the roof of a truck at fast moving targets after having my ribs and kidneys asaulted by the terrain! minute of rabbit works for me
    There's more to pressure signs than tight or loose chambers. If the bullet is seated touching the lands on one rifle, but another has a longer throat, then the one touching is going to show pressure signs where the other won't. I agree completely that to work up a load, you need to go shoot it. I said that in an earlier post. Like you, I also shoot game with my rifle but like to hone my skills on long range steels. Aim small, hit small.

    Not so sure about shooting fast moving targets off the roof of a truck though, I'll leave that to you. 😉

    Jonathan.
    BASC Member

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Devizes
    Posts
    3,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There's more to pressure signs than tight or loose chambers. If the bullet is seated touching the lands on one rifle, but another has a longer throat, then the one touching is going to show pressure signs where the other won't. I agree completely that to work up a load, you need to go shoot it. I said that in an earlier post. Like you, I also shoot game with my rifle but like to hone my skills on long range steels. Aim small, hit small.

    Not so sure about shooting fast moving targets off the roof of a truck though, I'll leave that to you. 😉

    Jonathan.
    What Kenny means is rabbits (targets) that will scarper (move) if you don't get the shot off as soon as the opportunity presents, we tend to shoot off the roof of the truck as we may cover 1000-1500 acres in a night over 2 or 3 permissions. We use expanding rounds such as WMR or .22H at relatively short ranges (<100 yards) so precision shooting is not necessary on rabbits and any the get a bit messy go to my very well fed ferrets. As for honing your skills at range, challenge Kenny to a 900 yard match with his k31 and open sights, see who wins

    Now we've dealt with ethics..

    We all know pressure has more influences than just chamber size or brass volume. As far as I'm aware (I bother another forum member fairly regularly for checking loads that are a bit out there) to use it properly you check the water capacity over a few cases (say 5) and take an average this way you get the fired case / chamber volume for that particular headstamp.

    I'm sure it's a useful tool and if you have a sporter barrel that heats very quickly making testing from a cool barrel Very time consuming it will save a lot of time and wasted consumables.
    Thanks for looking

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Northern Ireland.
    Posts
    1,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    What Kenny means is rabbits (targets) that will scarper (move) if you don't get the shot off as soon as the opportunity presents, we tend to shoot off the roof of the truck as we may cover 1000-1500 acres in a night over 2 or 3 permissions. We use expanding rounds such as WMR or .22H at relatively short ranges (<100 yards) so precision shooting is not necessary on rabbits and any the get a bit messy go to my very well fed ferrets. As for honing your skills at range, challenge Kenny to a 900 yard match with his k31 and open sights, see who wins

    Now we've dealt with ethics..

    We all know pressure has more influences than just chamber size or brass volume. As far as I'm aware (I bother another forum member fairly regularly for checking loads that are a bit out there) to use it properly you check the water capacity over a few cases (say 5) and take an average this way you get the fired case / chamber volume for that particular headstamp.

    I'm sure it's a useful tool and if you have a sporter barrel that heats very quickly making testing from a cool barrel Very time consuming it will save a lot of time and wasted consumables.
    Good of you to step in and clarify the fast moving targets bit.

    I agree with you on the other issues, and if you ever need anything run through QL, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

    Jonathan.
    BASC Member

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Devizes
    Posts
    3,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Good of you to step in and clarify the fast moving targets bit.

    I agree with you on the other issues, and if you ever need anything run through QL, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

    Jonathan.
    We do of course shoot moving targets quite often too, but with the shottie!

    Thanks for the offer, may well take you up up on it soon...
    Thanks for looking

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •