Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW35

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    My HW 35export appears to have a beach varnished stock. The rifle is from 1977 is that correct or, is it walnut and varnished. Should it not be oiled walnut?

All the literature ive found tends to say its a walnut stock?

Thanks
    It should be Walnut with stain & varnish the new 35E is dark stained & oil finish.

A mate has just given me a 35 to service. It is a single sided safety catch model with a leather seal. I was told that it was way over power doing 17 ftlbs which I obviously took with a large pinch of salt but I did chrono it before stripping and it was sending hobbies at 675 - 680 fps, very consistently. The gun doesn't appear to of been stripped before and is full of congealed Weihrauch smelly factory grease, now awaiting a guide set to tame the twang and a barrel straighten. Not mint but little used and should shoot nice once sorted. Lucky sod got it given him!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

..177 or .22?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

.22! You do the math! Not hard to cock either :-)
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Excellent, so a slight tweak down and all good, then.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Me bad I did remember seeing one in a gun shop recently, it wouldn't fit in the musket rack, it was put in a special wild fowling section labeled "Punt guns"

Here's the shops photo of it https://mbtimetraveler.files.wordpre...165_n-copy.jpg

Pete
    Lmfao..... got to get a cloth now to clean tea orf me keyboard
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent, so a slight tweak down and all good, then.
    Hopefully, knowing my luck "once I have worked my magic" I won't be able to get it above 8 ftlbs!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I have just reacquainted myself with my faithful old 35 Export. She is in .22 flavour and currently partnered with a 20mm Whitetail scope and is great fun to shoot, particularly from the standing position. In this particular calibre, I am once again reminded of my now distant youth when such a rifle was an object of desire for us all but sadly unobtainable due to the not inconsiderable cost at the time.

Just plinking away with her at our clubs indoor range at the weekend reminded me of the days when we didn't have to worry about bottle pressures, pellet batch numbers or wobbly scope images. You just broke the barrel, pushed in an Eley Wasp and watched the target drop. Brilliant simple fun.

This particular gun is in good condition and I have re-oiled the attractive walnut stock. However, the action is not what those of us with an ear for tuned springers would describe as "sorted." There is a mild amount of mechanical noise, particularly when cocking. The bottom line is that the gun shoots so well as it is that I really dont want to gut her. Do I really need to resort to surgery, or should I just carry on enjoying her as she is?

Mine enjoys a diet of Hobbys and is one of my favourites at present. Should I upset the existing balance?

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I would just take off the stock & re lube the cocking arm & a little moly grease on the spring in that case.

Bearing in mind that the end block has to be screwed off, how much preload is there on the UK legal spring?

Can you get away with stripping and reassembling them without a compressor?

I once did this with a HW77, and it was hard work screwing the end block back on.

I imagine a 22 would run best at about 10.5fpe. Or should it be nearer 11?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hi Andy, if the twang bothers you I would take the spring out and get some guides made to fit. You may have to compress or lose a coil but the Shooting experience should only be enhanced. Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Bearing in mind that the end block has to be screwed off, how much preload is there on the UK legal spring?

Can you get away with stripping and reassembling them without a compressor?

I once did this with a HW77, and it was hard work screwing the end block back on.

I imagine a 22 would run best at about 10.5fpe. Or should it be nearer 11?
    No pre load on the leather seal versions with only 26 coils on the spring.

Thanks Mick.

Mine would be a new one the synthetic seal (when it comes) but I shouldn't imagine it would be much different, given the cylinder diameter.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I have just reacquainted myself with my faithful old 35 Export. She is in .22 flavour and currently partnered with a 20mm Whitetail scope and is great fun to shoot, particularly from the standing position. In this particular calibre, I am once again reminded of my now distant youth when such a rifle was an object of desire for us all but sadly unobtainable due to the not inconsiderable cost at the time.

Just plinking away with her at our clubs indoor range at the weekend reminded me of the days when we didn't have to worry about bottle pressures, pellet batch numbers or wobbly scope images. You just broke the barrel, pushed in an Eley Wasp and watched the target drop. Brilliant simple fun.

This particular gun is in good condition and I have re-oiled the attractive walnut stock. However, the action is not what those of us with an ear for tuned springers would describe as "sorted." There is a mild amount of mechanical noise, particularly when cocking. The bottom line is that the gun shoots so well as it is that I really dont want to gut her. Do I really need to resort to surgery, or should I just carry on enjoying her as she is?

Mine enjoys a diet of Hobbys and is one of my favourites at present. Should I upset the existing balance?

Andy
    I'd leave it alone, beyond maybe putting a bit of grease inside. If you get pleasure from it as it is, why muck about with it?

I have a few guns that shoot as they originally did when they were new. I know I could make them shoot better, even with a basic lube/polish. But I own them for nostalgic reasons, not to win matches. Sounds like your 35 fits in that category.

Deleted, due to incoherent ramblings field by nostalgic over semantic thoughts.