Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX200 MK2 mainspring stuck

TX200 MK2 mainspring stuck

Bought a basket case of a TX for £50 as a project.
    While stripping down today and cleaning all the old axle grease out (sure it's original) I went to take the mainspring out of the piston and it's stuck solid.
    So far I've heated it up and left it soaking in WD and hoping for the best, the tophat must really be stuck in there as no amount of twisting will shift it yet .
    I'll give the piston a chap once it's soaked a bit longer.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh you will not defeat me Mr Tophat .

Why is it never me that gets deals like that?

Quote Originally Posted by svendogg View Post
    Why is it never me that gets deals like that?
    Good contacts
    This one needs a bit of work though, needs rebluing and I'm going to change it to .177.
    The stock is in terrible condition as well all the varnish is cracked and discoloured.
    I'll get it all fettled and up and running and shoot it a bit before I get it reblued .

I had a TX piston and spring brought to me like that to disassemble.

With the wrong MK of spring fitted to the wrong MK of TX piston, the spring had gone in and locked on the inside of the piston.

I had to warm the piston up to nearly red heat in order to get the spring out.

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, lots of heat may help. also twist the spring to tighten the wind inwards, whilst pulling
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yeah, lots of heat may help. also twist the spring to tighten the wind inwards, whilst pulling
    Yup, that's just what I was going to do . It's been soaking overnight, so fingers crossed .

Woooohooooo it's out , red hot heat and beating it to death worked .
    Just need to keep my eyes open for a new piston now , it doesn't look as good as it used to. It'll do for now though.
    Piston weight is goosed, but at least I have a spare.
    Time to rebuild it now and give it a go.

Just got the callipers out.
    Old weight measures .830, new is .785. so quite a bit smaller. It's a smaller diameter than the spring.
    Piston id is approx .831, so may even be tighter further down.
    No way was it coming out easily

I'll eventually get round to turning a new guide and tophat up out of delrin.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    piston weight is not wanted at 12 FP, make an ally or delrin one TH instead, and fit a suitably longer spring.

Just tidy the piston up in the lathe, loosing a few thou will save some extra weight too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Make sure the piston rod doesn't unscrew. All the heat may have broken down the factory thread lock. I had a friends MarkIII that was acting a bit off and I found the piston rod totally loose. My friend bought it used and it had a kit in it, so I assume the previous owner "modified" it.

Now would be a great time to join the 'lost volume' group on Facebook! I would look at sleeving your tx down to 23mm...
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Now would be a great time to join the 'lost volume' group on Facebook!.
    I thought that was a chatroom for folks who'd gone deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I thought that was a chatroom for folks who'd gone deaf.
    What?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Make sure the piston rod doesn't unscrew. All the heat may have broken down the factory thread lock. I had a friends MarkIII that was acting a bit off and I found the piston rod totally loose. My friend bought it used and it had a kit in it, so I assume the previous owner "modified" it.

Yup rod was a bit loose, it's now thread locked back in

Update time.
    Just had the piston in the lathe and removed the rough machine finish left on it from manufacturing.
    It has removed a few grams, so that should be beneficial. It also looks nice and smooth, which doesn't affect anything but it makes me feel it is better lol.
    Just going to go back to the lathe now and get the tophat and guide machined up.
    I have also noticed a light bit of rust in the compression chamber, so I'm going to have to remove the end cap and sort that out.
    I've also decided that I'll probably stick a BSA barrel on it as I'll get it free off of a friend .