Thread: Air Gunner Webley Mk1 Article.

Air Gunner Webley Mk1 Article.

Hello,

Just a heads-up for the first part of a very interesting John Atkins article in the latest (February 2017) edition of Air Gunner magazine featuring the development of the first Webley (Spring Clip) Mk 1 Air Pistols. There has been quite a bit of discussion here and elsewhere regarding the likely numbers and integrity of some examples of this pistol and the article certainly helps to clarify some of these issues. Also described are modifications made by the obviously talented Jeff Hyder to a conventional sliding top latch pistol to replicate a 'Single Clip' model. Without spoiling the enjoyment of any potential readers, there was an opportunity to test the functionality of the pistol with both weakened and full power springs.

Although we can make assumptions regarding the likely efficiency of a rare design from drawings and patent details etc, It's always nice when some clever people either modify existing models or indeed manufacture complete reproductions from scratch to establish exactly how they would have performed.

An added bonus promised in Part 2 is the publication of production dates for the early Mk1 and Mk11 pistols at least during the years 1924 to mid-1930 to enable us to more accurately date our earlier pistols.

Happy New Year.

Brian

Excellent ta for that. This was another one that was bagged up in 'Smiths so I didn't get it. I'm frugal (tight ), so don't buy a mag' if I don't know it'll have something in to interest me.

I shall buy a copy next week

Happy 2017

Dave

Thanks for the heads up Brian. A very interesting article. One of the illustrations of a Mk1 spring clip model with the clip removed really illustrates well just how fragile those forward projections must have been in the factory until the clips were fitted. Not hard to imagine them breaking off before they were even sold!

Part 2 should be a good read also.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.