Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning Webley Osprey

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I usually use an O ring in the front grove and leave the ptfe one in the back (for lube I guess). I also have found Bsa Meteor (Mk1-Mk5) mainsprings are a better fit in Hawks/Ospreys etc. I have never gotten round to having a proper guide made up, but I am sure it would improve things. I do away with the ratchet and the safety and use a sear spring from a Victor, polish the mating surfaces of the trigger and sear a little and take a few coils off the trigger spring or find a slightly softer spring (NOT A BIRO ONE!).
    One idea that I might get round to at some point is to either (1) Drill and tap the end of the piston and fit a leather washer, which would short stroke it (2) get a bit taken off the end of the piston and fit a leather washer. I havea feeling that with the mods, something doing a fairly smooth 9.5 ft lbs would probably be the ideal.
    My rough Hawk Mk3 (Bloody neighbour still has it as he borrowed it to get a few rats in the garden) has the Meteor spring,1 O ring +1 ptfe ring and the trigger mods and shoots quite nicely at 9.5ftlbs but with quite a fast firing cycle. It is one on the guns that everybody seems to be able to use ok.
    The trigger blade still feel awful as do all those Webley ones, but it is a good trigger.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

There was an article in Sporting Air rifle(?) back in the eighties about chopping and modifying the piston.Cutting it back to the second seal/ o ring).
    I will look for it, might not find it.

Quote Originally Posted by norris View Post
    There was an article in Sporting Air rifle(?) back in the eighties about chopping and modifying the piston.Cutting it back to the second seal/ o ring).
    I will look for it, might not find it.
    June 1985 issue .

Oh I fitted a pretty 06 Stingray trigger and sear to my Osprey to improve the trigger.

Osprey

Thanks folks! Would like to read the article if it can be resurrected please.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Thanks folks! Would like to read the article if it can be resurrected please.
    Haven't found my copy as yet.

deffo look at supporting the spring ......wot no guide ?? .come on webley , you knew better than that .

Osprey

When I did mine I kept the twin piston rings and fitted a standard spring from knibbs. turned up a delrin spring guide and top hat for it. Now shoots at 10.2 ft lbs Albeit very smoothly. Triggers were never the best - a light polishing helped things along. I have a piston that has been turned to use a parachute seal - looks like aN HW seal - never tried it but if your interested in it drop me a PM

A post of that article would be nice indeed! I'm curious too!
    My Osprey ST has a very nice trigger. No need to fiddle.
    My ex museum Trackers trigger is very light too. Dunno wether thats a Stingray trigger but I suspect not.
    My first walnut Tracker has a very heavy trigger.
    ATB,
    yana