Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Today's Load Testing - Vhit 135

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,981
    Here's the video clip of the COAL test using 25.1gr of Vhit 135: https://youtu.be/vYOVOsrZikA
    TriggerPullTV
    .22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Nice group and you must be nearing max pressure with that load. Only switched because they didn't have any in stock and there was a 1kg tub on offer for 50. Thought it was worth a punt!
    I had no pressure signs at the time but wondered later when it gets warmer it might push it to top. I could always try extending the COAL this would reduce pressure and might tighten it up..(grouping that is)
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....
    "The Night Hunter"

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I had no pressure signs at the time but wondered later when it gets warmer it might push it to top. I could always try extending the COAL this would reduce pressure and might tighten it up..(grouping that is)
    Vhit 135 is apparently lower pressure at the same velocity. Might be worth considering
    TriggerPullTV
    .22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Vhit 135 is apparently lower pressure at the same velocity. Might be worth considering
    Pity you wasn't closer I could have swapped you some and tested it..
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....
    "The Night Hunter"

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    832
    just watched your video. when i first saw your 25.1gn group i thought there was parallax issues. after watching your video i think there is some pilot error getting in there as well.

    not picking holes or anything else, just a couple of thoughts. your head is bobbing about a lot, almost as if your trying to get a good cheek weld on the stock. also seams there is some snatching at the trigger.

    try shooting the group without taking your cheek weld off the stock, even when reloading.

    a 223 with a good barrel is not over fussy so should be giving better results. i shoot 40sbk. 40vmax and 52amax. all have a massive node of 1.5gn, with the n135 and i have to seat them according to the bullet length and not COL.


    as said, not picking, just commenting

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    906
    I would be peed off if that was my dry stone wall.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    just watched your video. when i first saw your 25.1gn group i thought there was parallax issues. after watching your video i think there is some pilot error getting in there as well.

    not picking holes or anything else, just a couple of thoughts. your head is bobbing about a lot, almost as if your trying to get a good cheek weld on the stock. also seams there is some snatching at the trigger.

    try shooting the group without taking your cheek weld off the stock, even when reloading.

    a 223 with a good barrel is not over fussy so should be giving better results. i shoot 40sbk. 40vmax and 52amax. all have a massive node of 1.5gn, with the n135 and i have to seat them according to the bullet length and not COL.


    as said, not picking, just commenting
    Yeah you're completely right. The size of the group there was more of a reflection of my shooting ability as apose to the load. Certainly cheek weld is an area that needs improvement. Also, the dot I was aiming at wasn't particularly precise with such a fine reticule.

    I'm happy with the load all the same
    TriggerPullTV
    .22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Sako7mm View Post
    I would be peed off if that was my dry stone wall.
    Yeah, it's a good job that it's mine
    TriggerPullTV
    .22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Gone West Young Man
    Posts
    18,884
    Dude, lower you scope as almost zero cheek weld.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Dude, lower you scope as almost zero cheek weld.
    That'd be a good idea. Not sure what height the Tikka mounts are but they certainly aren't the high ones. I'll have a look into that
    TriggerPullTV
    .22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Dude, lower you scope as almost zero cheek weld.
    I fear he has a point of course you could have a look around for a 75mm objective scope and just put some spacers on the stock?






    Nah ! get some lower mounts
    Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    146
    Have you tried vit 140, I use it in .223 and get very tight groups, it also meters very well

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron_bomb View Post
    Have you tried vit 140, I use it in .223 and get very tight groups, it also meters very well
    No I haven't, to be honest I was reluctant to try Vhit 135 having found a good load with 133. Sometimes you can play about far too much! Nice to know that other powders work though and have a few recipes to hand
    TriggerPullTV
    .22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    146
    For what its worth my best 5 shot group at 50 metres was 0.22 inches that was using 24.0 gn of vit140 behind a 69 gn sierra match king.
    I have had similar results with cfe 223 same load and head.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Daventry. Northants.
    Posts
    3,400
    Like Varget Vit 140 is an excellent powder in mid size cases with similar capacities to 308, it has its uses in smaller capacity cases where the bullet weight is approaching the upper limit for the cartridge but there are better suited burning rate powders for the 223, Vit 133 being one of the best.

    TB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •